• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ditto theory.

False because three pokemon get transform mew ditto and smeargle.

Darth Revan

Coming Out!

SmeargleArtist

I see dead people
Ok, so i'm wondering how ditto came along in the first place, and how is it related to mew in an origin sense. Maybe mew created ditto or something.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
And as far as I know, Sketch can't copy Transform anyway. Metronome can't access it either.

Actually I think it can :/ I might need to check my Smeargle again but I swear I taught him Transform. xD Though, I don't think Smeargle learning Transform would disprove this theory anyway. :)

Last edited:

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I do believe in this theory but it is difficult to tell if it's intentional

There's quite a bit of stuff in this game that they do put in for fun. Case in point, the truck. Yes, that truck. Did you know that Game Freak put it in Fire Red and Leaf Green because of the attention it got on the internet during the First and Second generations? Still doesn't do anything, but it's still nice that it's there.

I highly doubt that the lack of any Pokemon having the capacity to learn Transform, after them adding nearly five hundred species, is purely coincidental at this point. In Second Generation, Transform couldn't be Sketched, which WAS intentional. As of today, though, I am not sure if Sketch can be used to copy Transform, and Bulbapedia doesn't mention whether Sketch has ever gained that ability or not (like they mentioned with Self-Destruct and Explosion). I mean, it's fairly obvious though, that Transform is intended to belong just to Ditto and Mew (and Smeargle if it can, in fact, Sketch it). Even then, Smeargle has to learn Transform from either Ditto or Mew in the first place.

EDIT: As an aside, I tend to liken Smeargle's Sketch to that of Relm's Sketch from Final Fantasy VI. The Sketch isn't the "real deal" as it were. Instead, it's a life-like painting that has the mystical ability to come to life and do what it's supposed to do. Smeargle, in this respect, is essentially doing it the same way. He's using his "paint" (the goo that his tail excretes) to recreate what he's seen. In that sense, he's not really Transforming in the sense that his bio-molecular structure is recombining itself, but rather he's simply painting the effect of Transform onto himself and recreating the effect. At least, that's how I tend to rationalize how Sketch works in the pseudo-scientific way.

As for the theory itself, intentional or coincidental, it's still quite fun to think about.

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I don't agree to this party:

Next is that both Mew and Ditto are the only two Pokemon that have ever been able to learn the move Transform. You'd think that with four new generations since then, with nearly 500 more Pokemon, that you'd see at least one other that can learn Transform, and yet ... there hasn't been a single one. It's a move that has remained unique to both Mew and Ditto.

Smeargle can do sketch on transform.
Every pokémon with Mimic can do Transform (only once though, or you need to rage glitch the Mimic.)

Azyvli

Legendary Assassin
Hmm.. I've never heard of that theory before... From what you explained... I think it might be true!

PsiOmega

An old soul
I've heard this one before. But if Mewtwo is a clone of Mew, and if Ditto is a failed Mew clone, then is Ditto a failed Mewtwo attempt?

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I have heard of this theory and I kinda agree with this theory. It piques my interest as to how supposedly Ditto could be the failed Mews.

Valkneer

Wandering Trainer
I heard that Ditto is a failed experiment on creating Mewtwo because Ditto and Mew has some common traits.
At least that's what I heard :L

Codeepfly

MyCaruba
Crazy theory. Crazy enough it just might be true! Wow this is interesting. Facts are supportive!

destinydude000

The Awesome Dude
Yeah it's true!!!

Avaritia

I remember reading this somewhere, and I did always think it was possible. I don't think all this evidence can be a coincidence, and I find it entirely possible. But this also makes me think of the many similar traits between Zoroark and Ninetales, but those probably should go into their own thread...