• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikkoman

Ok, what's the real deal with Ditto? There are a few things that I've noticed, but a few questions I have as well

With transform, I've noticed (quite obviously) that it becomes a complete copy of the Pokemon, taking the same moves as well; and also, while battling it in the wild, I noticed that you get more EXP if you defeat it after it has transformed into something more powerful. But some questions:

Does Transform copy the opponent's ability?

Does Transform copy the opponent's stats?

When battling against Ditto, if you defeat it while still Ditto, you get 1 Effort point for HP. But if you defeat it after it Transforms into say, Crobat, do you still get 1 HP point, or 3 Speed points? Because if the EXP changes, does that mean EV changes?

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Ok, what's the real deal with Ditto? There are a few things that I've noticed, but a few questions I have as well

With transform, I've noticed (quite obviously) that it becomes a complete copy of the Pokemon, taking the same moves as well; and also, while battling it in the wild, I noticed that you get more EXP if you defeat it after it has transformed into something more powerful. But some questions:

Does Transform copy the opponent's ability?

Does Transform copy the opponent's stats?

When battling against Ditto, if you defeat it while still Ditto, you get 1 Effort point for HP. But if you defeat it after it Transforms into say, Crobat, do you still get 1 HP point, or 3 Speed points? Because if the EXP changes, does that mean EV changes?

Well I'm stumped about the EV's however I do know that when Ditto transforms it copies the foes ability and all the foes stats except for HP.

Transform copies the opponents ability and all stats except HP. But I don't know about the EV thing though.

EDIT: Damn, it seems like Mrmagius beat me to it there.

Tyran

Blast from the past
If tried to get some info about it, and didn't find that much.
but yes, it copy's the ability of the foe, but not the stats.

I'm not 100% sure about this maybe I'm wrong.
And I about EV; it can be possible.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★

if you are right and it doesn't copy the stats then it can be considered useless, it's stats are already very low ven when EV trained.

I have also tested this, it transform dose copy the target basic stats (all but not HP) as well as power up moves (like Sword Dance), but not EV that the Pokemon has I believe.

Now, about the EV thing, if I was not lazy, I would test that out... but I'm kinda annoyed by the Pokeradar right now.

Last edited:

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
Since it copies stats does metal powder still effect the altered defense stat? Yes, I call upon Cerebii the Summon spirit of... the interwebz to do a Game Mechanics section on it!... too bad I'm no summoner..

I'M A NECROMANCER!

Since it copies stats does metal powder still effect the altered defense stat? Yes, I call upon Cerebii the Summon spirit of... the interwebz to do a Game Mechanics section on it!... too bad I'm no summoner..

I'M A NECROMANCER!

If I remember right, Ditto's items stop working after transforming...

Rupikos

Meals on Wheels!?
The only apperance difference in one of the episodes that I remember, when ditto transforms it still has it's Ditto dot like eyes.
That's all I know really.

But yeah, a game mechanic would be good.

Last edited:
I'll summarize and add to this.

1) Upon Transforming, Ditto's stats reconfigure to match the opponent's exactly, bar HP, which remains the same before and after. This includes any Attack, Defence, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defence, Speed, Evasion and Accuracy stat boosts/reductions the target has, from use of stat modifying moves/items(such as Howl, Swagger, Double Team, Overheat, Sweet Scent, X-items, Leichi/Ganlon/Peteya/Apicot/Salac/Starf/Micle Berry ect.)
Does not copy status ailments like Poison, Sleep, Burn, Freeze, Paralysis, Confusion, Attraction, nor the effects of party-based moves amongst others(Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Tailwind, Lucky Chant, Mist, and Magnet Rise, Ingrain, Focus Energy ect.).

2) Ditto's Limber ability is replaced with the target's ability. Any abilities that only have effect upon being brought out into battle, such as Intimidate or Trace, will activate immediately after Transforming.

3) In addition to stats and ability, Ditto will also copy the target's type(obviously), moves(all with 5PP), weight(which affects the damage taken from attacks like Grass Knot or Low Kick) and it's Hidden Power type and strength.

4) The Exp. and EVs that Ditto gives are based on the Pokémon it changed into.

5) Metal Powder and Quick Powder are only effective for Ditto. They will no longer boost it's Defences or Speed after changing form.

6) Regarding Shininess, in the 3rd gen games a Shiny Ditto would always Transform into the Shiny version, and a normal Ditto would always change into the normal coloured version, of the target. In D/P, Ditto will copy the colour of it's target, regardless of it's own colour. So a Shiny/normal Ditto copying a normal coloured Pokémon, will result in a normal coloured copy. Wheras a Shiny/normal coloured Ditto copying a Shiny Pokémon will result in a Shiny copy.

I think that's all the main points. The examples are far from complete, but one should get the idea.
Of course this stuff applies for Mew and Smearlge as well, since they too can learn Transform.

And yes, Transform deserves it's own Game Mechanics page.

CharTang

Boulder Trainer
When Ditto transforms it copies the BASE stats of the pokemon it's transforming into (with the exception of HP), any e.v spreads are what you make them.
Also metal powder will still increase a transformed Ditto's Def and Sp.Def.
Also Hidden Power will be decided on the i.v's of ditto so Hidden Power will always be the same whoever Ditto transforms into.
and yes you get the same EV's from whatever the Ditto is Transformed as.

hope this was helpful to you.

Profesco

gone gently
halcyonXlll answered all the original questions and more. Thank you, halcyonXlll!

Status
Not open for further replies.