• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Divine - Game Discussion

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Approved by Psychic.

SU thread, so I don't lose it again...

All right, I know the game is a bit chaotic now due to everyone having different goals, but hopefully this will help things out. Feel free to ask questions and discuss out potential events, or make guesses about the mysteries of Divine. And of course, keep on topic.

Also, I don't mind how short or long posts are in the game. It happens, because sometimes you only need to do one or two things, and other times extra depth is needed. All I'd really like are for posts to at least be proofread for errors. And active posting doesn't hurt.

I do check on inactive players every so often. When I start running checks, I usually ask people who've not posted in two weeks if they're still in. And please inform me if you're dropping out. I'll help anyone get out of any sticky writing blocks if need be (and it's fine if you want to suggest help for someone else).

Here's some things that either people have asked me about already, or I've needed to point out in OoC comments. I'll add more, so that this first post can become a reference.

Timing: I’ll not be too strict on timing; you can skip hours/days for traveling or training needs, but don’t get out of the current season. For plot purposes, this game follows chapters of a kind and the seasons are based on what chapter it is. I will keep info on the next chapter up so you can reference events in posts and make short-term goals.

Chapter 1: Early-mid-summer. The first chosen sought out their legendary partners and some alliances were forged. Important info to come out of this: Hilda is dead; she was killed due to a battle against Ghetsis ten years ago after she was chosen as a hero by Reshiram. N survived the battle, but lost both of his legs below the knees and is currently restricted to a wheelchair. He is also Tao, the one who gave out all the pendants and spoke to the legendary Pokemon. Strangely enough, Zekrom and Reshiram were both turned into Pidoves, black and white ones respectively. Not much is known about Genesect, but Ghetsis owns her and is winning out the struggle to control her.

Chapter Two: mid-summer. This marks the official tenth year anniversary of when Team Plasma came into power. It takes place over a two week period (from when N raised Plasma Castle to when Ghetsis officially became Unova’s ruler) and will be marked by festivals, parades, and enforced celebrations. Events of this chapter include the first attempt to challenge Ghetsis and some conflict between current Chosen.

Current- Chapter Three: Late summer, possibly to early autumn. Stin, Cheren, and Skyla have been captured, and Leo and Xander have been killed. Percy is attempting to get into the Plasma prison facility and others may join him. Several have decided to start training themselves to be better prepared, or to find out more of what's going on.

Next- Chapter Four: Autumn. having noticed the recent increase in divine power, other legendary Pokemon have come to Unova to investigate. They will not be bonding with others, but their reactions to what happens could help or hinder the heroes.

Locations and Travel

I pointed this out in a couple of OoC notes, but just to have them in an easier to find location… the Battle Subway is no longer a battleground. Instead, it’s a regular subway that travels to most towns. Exceptions include Victory Road and Plasma Castle. However, if you have Pokemon with you, you’re likely to get caught without an easy method of escape. It is a faster way if you intend to travel alone and return for your Pokemon.

In putting in Anville and Entralink as important locations, there need to be alternate routes to and from these places. For Anville, there is an old road that is gravel in some places, packed dirt in others. It’s not well maintained, it’s the longest route in Unova, and overgrown areas are common. It goes from a western exit from Mistralton (on the other side of the runway), then northwest through mountainous rocky terrain to Anville. In the middle of this Route 19, there is a side path which heads north to Mount Zircon (Heatran’s location) and the whole area is filled with falling ashes and strong smells from the volcano.

For Entralink, there are similar old roads running to it from Lacunosa, Iccirus, and Nimbasa. They’re a little better maintained, but they’re mostly abandoned. Entralink itself is turning into a ghost town, with abandoned buildings in poor repair. There are still a few residents here, mostly eccentrics and old people who don’t want to leave.

Landorus’ shrine is in the same place as it is in the game; when I first wrote up Divine, I hadn’t been to that spot in Black and I had put it in the wrong area (oops!). Tornadus’ Wind Shine would be on Route 13; if you leave Undella going north, then run along the beach and up a slope to a wooded/grassy area, the path to the shrine will be up there. Thundurus’ Thunder Shrine would be on Route 7 through the woods southeast of it and eventually coming to an opening. The pathways to these three shrines would be in decent shape, as people still travel them to honor the three (or keep the latter two in check).

Addition: White Forest and Black City both exist. Black City would be in the position it holds in the game. On looking at the Pokearth map... White Forest will be southeast of that position, which puts it close to Nacrene too. So it would be possible to go from Black City to Nacrene through White Forest, if anyone were so inclined.

Laws regarding Pokemon ownership

I’ve had a few people ask me to clarify about who can own Pokemon and what the consequences are of being caught with one. Here you go.

1. Members of Team Plasma can own captured Pokemon if they’re above a certain ranking. Plasma enforcers will always have Pokemon with them, although the team quality varies between individuals. They definitely are not restricted to the Purrloin/Patrat/Scrafty/Sandile/etc. selection that the ones in the game are.

2. Certain people outside Plasma can own tamed, but not captured, Pokemon. Researchers like Professor Juniper and Tao can obtain a license to study and keep them around. However, this is quite difficult to maintain due to bureaucracy and scrutiny. For other people, a single tamed Pokemon can be registered as a guard. But again, this requires constant paperwork. Particularly malicious agents can use any flaw to negate the permission.

3. A good number of people keep tame Pokemon around without registering them. They must be very careful with this and it works better if they live outside of towns where the Pokemon can be told to scatter. Most other citizens would help an attempt to cover up the presence of an unregistered Pokemon, as they hope that someone can build up a team to break Plasma’s rule.

4. The members of the underground Pokemon League, in particular the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and Champion, have managed to evade the law so far and keep their teams with Pokeballs. However, their identities are too well known and they are hunted constantly. They have tried over the years to break up Plasma, but thus far have been unsuccessful. Part of the reason they continue to offer badges and battles is that they have hope of helping someone gain the power to fight Ghetsis’ Pokemon in an even match.

The punishment for being caught with an illegal Pokemon is imprisonment, although no one outside of Plasma is sure where those prisons are. The Pokemon themselves are captured, brought in for examination, then either distributed in the team or released into the wild.

And about the Pokedexes, as noted in robincool’s post here, they can be shifted to show an older registry that is a copy of Hilda’s Pokedex.

NPC forms (added as I think needed)

Name: N Harmonia – Tao
Link: formerly to Zekrom, currently none

Personality: Tao is an intelligent person, but something of a recluse. He loves philosophical and scientific subjects, but all too often speaks too quickly or uses a high language level that most people can’t relate to. In social situations with more than three people, he has anxiety problems and will often hang on the edge, listening. He does fine with a small group. Tao really doesn’t like drawing attention to himself.

On the other hand, he’s comfortable around Pokémon and many times relates to them better than people. He’s become an expert on Pokémon psychology simply through interacting with them. While he argued for the separation of Pokémon and humans when he was N, Tao would much rather keep to one society now. Although he’s not entirely satisfied with the old system either, it's at least better than what Ghetsis has done.

He may be scientifically minded, but Tao does have a strong emotional side. He’s passionate about anything he puts his mind to, is deeply caring, and has strong empathy for others. But this passion and empathy has also led to a powerful guilt about what’s happened because of his actions. He has a rather low opinion of himself, yet is determined to do what he can to help the new chosen ones make things right.

History: Good luck getting that out of him.

Note: ‘Tao’ can refer to two things. It can refer to N here, or it can refer to the group that is handling and advising the new chosen heroes. That would be N/Tao, Reshiram, and Zekrom.

Last edited:

Niihyl

Posthuman
Ysavvryl said:
Also, I don't mind how short or long posts are in the game. It happens, because sometimes you only need to do one or two things, and other times extra depth is needed. All I'd really like are for posts to at least be proofread for errors. And active posting doesn't hurt.

Well this is a relief. I've been a bit stymied because everyone's always dealing out these 1,000+ word posts all the time... Drives me to work harder... but a bit... difficult.

Ysavvryl said:
This is when Ghetsis makes a public appearance outside the castle for the first time in about seven years. I’d like for a small group to attempt to fight him here, although since it’s only Chapter Two, it’s not gonna end well.

... Die Ghetsis! Your throne is mine! Welp, I guess I'll have to wait until here. Assassination plot! And most likely getting nearly beaten. Maybe Garnet should attack Ghetsis, lose, and be imprisoned somewhere... perhaps the prisons are near Plasma Castle?

What about White Forest/Black City? Are they in the same place-ish?

Ysavvryl said:
And about the Pokedexes, as noted in robincool’s post here, they can be shifted to show an older registry that is a copy of Hilda’s Pokedex.

Wait, so all of our PokeDexes show Hilda's PokeDex? Specifically? Or are they all random peoples' PokeDexes?

Hooray on getting the Discussion Thread up!

EDIT: First!

Jason-Kun

Reason I haven't posted lately is because I've run into a bit of a block. I have a vague idea of what I want to happen but little clue on how to put it in writing.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
White Forest and Black City both exist, given that two different characters started in each. Black City would be in the position it holds in the game. On looking at the Pokearth map... White Forest will be southeast of that position, which puts it close to Nacrene too. So it would be possible to go from Black City to Nacrene through White Forest, if anyone were so inclined.

All of the Pokedexes you guys received have a copy of Hilda's information. Why? You'd have to ask Tao that.

Also, something else I thought of... the discussion group that Tao emailed you about earlier in the game. That's so that you can get the email addresses of the other chosen even if you have not met that person yet. I don't know if that helps you, Jason-kun, but you can contact Meg to find her in that way if that's part of the problem. If not, is there anything else you'd like to know?

Jason-Kun

No, that's not it at all. I'm mainly having issues hammering out the beginning of my next post which takes place in the Nacrene Museum. Basically what I want is to start that post out with Marec doing research into N, but I don't know how to put that part into enough words to get the significance across/make it make sense. So I guess, what I want to ask is if the museum would even have that type of information/what form it'd come in (statues with blurbs/books/etc.).

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Ah. Sure, it would. Many libraries have electronic copies of old newspaper articles and might even have recordings of documentaries. A book about Plasma's history is not out of the question. The museum area could have a picture of N too, and he would be mentioned on a statue of Zekrom if it were there. If there's a statue of Reshiram, it won't mention Hilda because they don't want the memory of a hero that was against them honored.

Plasma would have made sure that their propaganda and views were readily available and anything to the contrary would be destroyed or difficult to find. So anything he finds quickly would be biased. To find something from another view point would require finding someone against Plasma who remembers those days, and who's willing to talk.

Niihyl

Posthuman
Ysavvryl said:
To find something from another view point would require finding someone against Plasma who remembers those days, and who's willing to talk.

My character's grandfather may do. He's old enough to remember, far before Plasma's reign, is sympathetic to Pokemon, and hates Plasma... He lives in Nacrene.

Cyber Robert

Shockingly Lovely
Technically wouldn't Valen know where one of the prisons are? Or should I retcon the part to being a transport to a prison?

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Hmm... Yes, Valen would know where one is. It was early on in Plasma's rule, though, so I'd imagine they would put him into an existing prison. The prisons that they're currently using, though, those are the secret ones.

And since they've ruled for just ten years, I'm sure there's plenty of adults who remember what Plasma was like beforehand. Finding one that isn't scared of being arrested, that'll be the issue.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
Hey, I just had one quick question: What kind of Pokemon should I expect to see on Route 19 and Mount Zircon? I'm not sure if they're supposed to be void of Pokemon or just extremely dangerous areas.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Pokemon for Route 19:

Audino (persistent buggers are everywhere, but still rare-ish and only in a grassy spot)
Roggenrola/Boldore
Dwebble/Crustle
Timburr
Rufflet
Vullaby
Druddgion (only in caves; rare)
Woobat (only in caves)
Drillburr (only in caves)

Closer to Mount Zircon, you'll also encounter:

Venipede (not on the volcano itself)
Darumaka
Larvesta (in volcanic caves; rare)

Audino and Dwebble will not be found around the ashy area of Zircon.

As for non-Unova Pokemon that might be swarming there, I'll go with Koffing. The area is dangerous, but you find random encounters near volcanos in the Pokemon world more often than not.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Most modern man-made weapons are considered science fiction in the Pokemon world, although they show up in video games, movies, and books according to a theory that it could be done. There's not much reason to make such things when most conflict is resolved with Pokemon battles. Swords and similar weapons have existed from times when humans and Pokemon didn't work together, but are now around for sport, not actual fighting.

That being said...

Orb Gun- A handheld weapon that most closely resembles a pistol. An orb of glass-like material is attached at the end (if you were firing it normally, the orb would be the closest part to you, above your hand) with silver tubes that feed into the barrel. The orb stores and produces energy which is used as ammunition instead of bullets. This energy follows the tradition forms of Pokemon attack energy.

The Orb Gun is new technology from Team Plasma. As such, only a handful of these weapons exist. They are in a 'testing' phase and will not be used in the open yet.

Don't give the Orb Gun to any Plasma NPCs you meet just yet, unless I introduce them as having the weapon. Those that do have it are not going to give it up easily and would rather flee than let it (and themselves) get captured.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
Alright, I'm trying to catch up now. I plan on sending Alice northwards, through Chargestone Cave and towards the northern cities. Is there anything I should know before hand about local happenings? Specifically around Icirrus City.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Other than to get north, you're going through Twist Mountain, not Chargestone Cave, there's no major events in the northern cities right now (well Manaphy Mare's character is dealing with a situation at Village Bridge, but it's unlikely you'll get that far...). However, Mistralton itself has been put under security lockdown while the Plasma enforcers are searching for Skyla and Rylee (Pokefan's character). Given that the whole situation developed after your last post, I can give you a pass and let you slip out before it started. Or you can deal with the trouble yourself, whichever you want to do.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
I think It would be best if I had her in the lock down. Easier for everyone that way, and it gives me a chance to meet up with Rylee so Alcie has someone to talk to. (Unless of course she's already out of the city...)

Thanks for the recap. I'll be joining the fight against Plasma here again soon.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Rylee's already on Route 19 to Mount Zircon, as of the last post. But, there is that email from Tao which invites you to a Pokedex users discussion group, which will give your character the emails of everyone else who had joined. I put that in as a way to make early contacts when spread out, although nobody's made use of it yet.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
Ah, okay. I may just slip out and continue on then.

I had totally misplaced Chargestone Cave on the map. I thought it was north of Mistralton. In that case, I may head south. It would make it easier to get to Annville Town as well.

Also, everyone can expect a mass e-mail from Alice soon.

Jason-Kun

How're we covering the issue of Pokémon Moves? Are we limiting it to four like in games, having them know all the moves possible for their species/evolutions from the offset, or (my personal favorite) having them know moves they should obviously know (I.E. bite, scratch tackle, etc.) and having to learn more over time?

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Short version: The last one you said, more or less. Obvious moves like tackling and biting (but not Bite) are natural; stronger moves depend on the experience of the Pokemon. If your Pokemon is repeatedly using high power moves, say Earthquake, then it will get worn down quickly. And if a high power move (like Surf) can't be learned by a Pokemon in the official games, it can't be learned in this one.

Long version

When writing with Pokemon moves in mind, I like to use an unskilled vs skilled move theory. Unskilled moves are things that any Pokemon should be capable of performing despite what game mechanics may say: tackling, biting, claw swipes, tail hits (if Pokemon has a tail that would be a useful weapon, such as Sandile). By the way, biting doesn't mean Bite. The Dark-type 'Bite' attack is a skilled move; low-skilled, but it still takes special effort to put Dark energy into a biting attack.

All unskilled moves are naturally typed as Normal.

Skilled moves are those that use a particular energy and require some practice to use. For an example, see this post from the game where the Bisharp trains himself in Detect use. Skilled moves will be more powerful and take advantage of the elemental system. And even among the skilled, there are moves that require more or less skill, like the difference between Bite and Sucker Punch.

Unskilled moves are unlimited but not as powerful; skilled moves are limited and drain the Pokemon's energy faster.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
I'm slowly but steadily catching up! Only a page and a bit more left, then I can get back to posting as well, yay 8D

Also, a question, one you can disregard if it has already been answered in the RP thread itself: How should I go about waking up Thundurus? I mean, do I just write how Stin pokes it and then it wakes up and storms out, or does she need to go through some sort of trial before he wakes up? And, well, do you have some sort of plan as to what the shrine looks like, or do I make it up as I go?

... Okay, that's two questions 8c