• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
Let's hope they don't go down that road

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Guess I'm assuming there'll be DLC because every game on the market has it. Granted Sony and Microsoft are the ones who drive the competition while Nintendo does their own thing. Maybe Game Freak will stick with tradition and release content through Mystery Gift.

Zamin

Oh gosh no, please no. DLC is one of the most evil aspects of the gaming indsutry, we don't want it in a main series Pokemon game.

Azhdarcho

Oh god, I'm just imagining Pokémon in loot boxes D: Or all the useful training items behind a paywall D: Or microtransactions that let you buy Rare Candies and Apricorn balls D:

I'm ok with DLC as long as they make it worth my while, or make me feel happy to give them an extra $ for a well-made game.

Cerex

So long as the base game is still a complete traditional Gen experience, I'm all for DLC expanding the post-game other things to do. DLC is a good way to extend the lifetime of a game, and allow the developers to continue working on some things after the game is published that were not ready to make the initial release but that do not put the game up behind an additional paywall. A lot of the stuff that was in the third installment of previous games can be included in DLC.

I think good stuff for DLC include
(1) Battle Frontier
(2) Contests
(3) Pokeathlon
(4) Safari Zone, and Safari Zone Pokemon
(5) New areas/previous regions
(6) Pokemon World Tournament
(7) Join Avenue
(8) Pokelago
(9) Resort home items

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So long as the base game is still a complete traditional Gen experience, I'm all for DLC expanding the post-game other things to do. DLC is a good way to extend the lifetime of a game, and allow the developers to continue working on some things after the game is published that were not ready to make the initial release but that do not put the game up behind an additional paywall. A lot of the stuff that was in the third installment of previous games can be included in DLC.

I think good stuff for DLC include
(1) Battle Frontier
(2) Contests
(3) Pokeathlon
(4) Safari Zone, and Safari Zone Pokemon
(5) New areas/previous regions
(6) Pokemon World Tournament
(7) Join Avenue
(8) Pokelago
(9) Resort home items
I don't want this. I don't want content that should be in the base game to be locked behind DLC.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
One question regarding DLC would be if Nintendo is pressuring Game Freak to make some. I think that's unlikely though because Japanese developers aren't as greedy as western companies.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
One question regarding DLC would be if Nintendo is pressuring Game Freak to make some. I think that's unlikely though because Japanese developers aren't as greedy as western companies.
Hopefully Nintendo doesn't force Game Freak to incorporate purchasable DLC into the Pokémon Switch games. And yeah, I don't think Nintendo will ever will.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
DLC for anime outfits is something I can see. I swear if they did a past region dlc people would lose it.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
But, I don't think that past regions will be released as DLC. It's much more profitable to release them separately as remakes.
That is the thing I'm not talking about regions in that sense but regions as in years after the indivual game. For example I'd love to see Alola years after a league has been made and battling is more focused. Or Sinnoh after the events of the main game. Which is why I loved Gen 2 Kanto and Unova (BW2)

With that said said remakes are in a very shaky place now if you think about it since in Gen 8 we would technailly have to have 3 remakes if they keep the pattern of remaking games up.

Skipping a system gen and releasing the remake on the next. Meaning we would have three remakes for Switch making me wondering if they will keep the remakes going

Cerex

I don't want this. I don't want content that should be in the base game to be locked behind DLC.
Much of those things aren't typically in a base game of a generation, and have historically been released in the third expansion of a generation or remakes. Given that not everyone gets involved in them, developing and releasing them post release allows the developers to continue working on the generation and expanding it. It's just not realistic that the developers will spend the resources to insert all of those things in the base game, and take away resources from building a stronger base game.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Much of those things aren't typically in a base game of a generation, and have historically been released in the third expansion of a generation or remakes. Given that not everyone gets involved in them, developing and releasing them post release allows the developers to continue working on the generation and expanding it. It's just not realistic that the developers will spend the resources to insert all of those things in the base game, and take away resources from building a stronger base game.
Think Riley is merely worried that it may give Game Freak an "excuse " to release a barebones game and lock away the bulk of the content most players desire behind DLC (new areas and Resort items may be more acceptable but stuff like the Poke Pelago isn't).

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Think Riley is merely worried that it may give Game Freak an "excuse " to release a barebones game and lock away the bulk of the content most players desire behind DLC (new areas and Resort items may be more acceptable but stuff like the Poke Pelago isn't).
Yeah. You're right. I don't want GameFreak to force people to pay more money for features that should be in the base game to begin with.

Sprinter1988

If they bring in an area where "tournament" battles take place, maybe the DLC could be new tournaments to take part in. Anyone remember when Black2/White2 introduced DLC tournaments for the World Tournament? I don't think any were released outside of Japan, but it essentially meant you could battle teams based on the teams of Trip, Stephan and Cameron from the anime at the time Ash was battling them as part of the Unova league tournament.
They could do something like that again, making teams based on the characters in the anime, or bring back the trainers of the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola leagues, allowing you to battle them as part of the post-game.
To sweeten the deal, prizes could be given including rare items (Master Ball, Lucky Egg, PP Max), exclusive Move Tutor moves, winning the Champion's signature pokemon (Cynthia's Garchomp, Lance's Dragonite, Steven's Metagross etc.) or even unlocking special clothing for your character.

Cerex

Yeah. You're right. I don't want GameFreak to force people to pay more money for features that should be in the base game to begin with.
But is something like Pelago part of the base game? The ability to grow berries was the one thing that needed to be in the game, and we've had many different ways to do that. Beyond that nothing in Pelago was necessary for the base game to be completed. However, if it's the new generation, I get that it should introduce new features. However, come Gen 8 the Pelago will be old, and something like it could be released later with something like Pokeathlon.

I would say that the PWT was incorporated into the storyline and even the Safari Zone in Gen 1. Definitely things like that should continue.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think some of us forget that GameFreak has been doing DLC longer than most companies through physical cartridges. Anyways, if they do do DLC, I'm hoping for side-stories for each legendary, but rather than as a small event, how about a story expansion like Skyrim's Dragonborn where your reward is legendaries after finishing a storyline in a island or maybe even an older region like Kanto or Johto. I feel like they can do story expansions considering how awesome the worldbuilding of Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
But is something like Pelago part of the base game? The ability to grow berries was the one thing that needed to be in the game, and we've had many different ways to do that. Beyond that nothing in Pelago was necessary for the base game to be completed. However, if it's the new generation, I get that it should introduce new features. However, come Gen 8 the Pelago will be old, and something like it could be released later with something like Pokeathlon.

I would say that the PWT was incorporated into the storyline and even the Safari Zone in Gen 1. Definitely things like that should continue.
But, still things like the Poke Pelago should be in the base game.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I wouldn't mind if DLC became the alternative to 3rd games. If Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had been $20 downloads that added on to Sun and Moon instead of being $40 games, I would have saved money and still had a use for my copies of Sun and Moon.

Moving from the 3DS to the Switch does mean the retail price of the game will be $50 - $60. And if they release two versions then that's a hefty investment. Releasing an alternative third version as DLC might be more effective than releasing another physical copy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.