• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
In what way? Remakes are no more fit to be used as DLC than the likes of BW2 would have been. And I'd much rather pay full price for something like that than pay for a more traditional third version as DLC.

And prefer them all you like. But it doesn't change the fact that in a case like this, DLC is actually the less profitable and less greedy of their options; not exactly indicative of them going for a games as a service model. Which is exactly why I hardly expect them to go this route, but I digress.

Hoping the backlash towards USUMO made GF to go back to not doing 3rd version or at the very least doing sequels

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
DLC where you battle other Nintendo characters as if they were Pokemon trainers (like Ice Climbers with Ice types or Pokemon that could pass for it, Fox McCloud with vulpine Pokemon, you get the idea).

Cerex

The DLC I wouldn’t mind paying for are optional side quests in a fashion to ORAS Delta Emerald episode or the Looker Missions from XY that contribute to the region’s story but aren’t necessary to complete the game. I also wouldn’t mind paying for customization options such as clothing based on past regions or new hairstyles and colors. I really want a neon green Mohawk for my character!
The post-game episodes I think would be a really nice touch, which would, as you say, let you explore the region a lot more. There are tones of areas on the map that you traditionally do not get to explore, and DLC is one way to incorporate that into the region beyond a complete base game. Imagine of rather than just downloading Volcanion, there was a DLC you could buy that triggered a mission in the powerplant that would have you face off against Volcanion as the boss.

I think Pokemon could also learn a lesson from Fire Emblem Awakening. In USUM the Ultra Wormhole could have easily functioned as something similar to the Outrealm in the FE Awakening Series, where rather than just go up against legendaries and shinies you could have traveled to parallel worlds and fought legendary characters from past regions. To an extent, you could see that they were trying to tease something like that, with some of the Ultra Beast worlds having some story elements. However, they never successfully followed through.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I think DLC could also be used to provide actual story missions for certain legendaries. D/P/PL sort of did this with small quests involving Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus.

Giving people an actual story reason to catch a legendary might make the experience more memorable.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would definitely like additional story events that result in encounters with Mythical Pokémon to return since like Black and White. Maybe that type of DLC wouldn't just let players get that Pokémon, but also get items associated with that Pokémon that could be otherwise unobtainable in the game. Something similar could be used to unlock additional story content related to 'third-version' Legendaries and perhaps allow the player to obtain items associated with that Legendary.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I would definitely like additional story events that result in encounters with Mythical Pokémon to return since like Black and White. Maybe that type of DLC wouldn't just let players get that Pokémon, but also get items associated with that Pokémon that could be otherwise unobtainable in the game. Something similar could be used to unlock additional story content related to 'third-version' Legendaries and perhaps allow the player to obtain items associated with that Legendary.
Yes please. I quite liked the event quests in Platinum in particular, which added more lore to the Pokemon themselves, e.g. Darkrai. Much more entertaining than just picking them up from a delivery man...

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Hoping the backlash towards USUMO made GF to go back to not doing 3rd version or at the very least doing sequels
The backlash didn't affect USUM's sales. USUM has outsold Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum and it may even surpass BW2.

Foxtrek

Vulpix addict
The backlash didn't affect USUM's sales. USUM has outsold Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum and it may even surpass BW2.

Hey, Skyward Sword had quite a bit of backlash too, didn't effect that games sales too poorly, but it still told Nintendo that they had to get there ship together for the next big Zelda game, and we got Breath of the wild thanks to it!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yes please. I quite liked the event quests in Platinum in particular, which added more lore to the Pokemon themselves, e.g. Darkrai. Much more entertaining than just picking them up from a delivery man...
Yeah. Like all story events in Platinum, all of which require event items, maybe the player doesn't have to outright unlock the event but can purchase an event item to unlock the event if DLC gets introduced into Pokémon Switch.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
They could do DLC for event Pokemon like this.

Have paid DLC but also have the option for not paying.

Paid DLC will have new characters, story, areas etc. for the event Pokemon.

If the player opts out of paying they will get the event Pokemon the regular method we have now (without the etra stuff like characters and story, areas etc. added on)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If the player opts out of paying they will get the event Pokemon the regular method we have now (without the etra stuff like characters and story, areas etc. added on)
Maybe players who pay for extra story events can get the same event Pokémon but will have something that makes it more special like having a Hidden Ability, being Shiny, having event-exclusive moves or a combination of the any of them. I don't think that Mythical Pokémon from story events will have Hidden Abilities or be shiny to convince players, especially completionists, to purchase DLC.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Maybe players who pay for extra story events can get the same event Pokémon but will have something that makes it more special like having a Hidden Ability, being Shiny, having event-exclusive moves or a combination of the any of them. I don't think that Mythical Pokémon from story events will have Hidden Abilities or be shiny to convince players, especially completionists, to purchase DLC.

Hidden Ability - Hell No
Shiny - Yes (IMO)
Event Exclusive moves - Hell No Again

The things is HA and Exclusive moves locks essential elements that affect gameplay (especially competitive) behind a paywall, giving those who didn't pay a disadvantage unlike a Shiny which is purely cosmetic and doesn't effect gameplay.

Anyone remember the BF2 lootbox debacle. This would be the same thing with giving players who paid an advantage.

If you really want to expand the perks of buying mythical DLC maybe giving those players a exclusive forms which are purely cosmetic.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hidden Ability - Hell No
Shiny - Yes (IMO)
Event Exclusive moves - Hell No Again

The things is HA and Exclusive moves locks essential elements that affect gameplay (especially competitive) behind a paywall, giving those who didn't pay a disadvantage unlike a Shiny which is purely cosmetic and doesn't effect gameplay.
The Pokémon Company could just ban event Pokémon that require payment for Hidden Abilities and event exclusive moves online so that people who pay don't have an advantage over those who didn't pay. But I don't think The Pokémon Company will update their banlists to ban paid-exclusive Hidden Abilities and/or moves online and to be pretty honest I wouldn't want paid-exclusive HAs and moves to be a thing at all and would rather have these Pokémon distributed for free for at least a limited time like before.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
They could at least offer them as Free DLC/Mystery Gift through the game or eShop. Thing is I don't want to visiti GameStop every time theres a legendary giveaway.

Orphalesion

The Pokémon Company could just ban event Pokémon that require payment for Hidden Abilities and event exclusive moves online so that people who pay don't have an advantage over those who didn't pay.

Then why even pay for it, or, really, have it at all? If it's a pokemon you can't use anywhere but the storyline (likely finished by the time the events roll out) or some in-game battle facility, then why pay for it when the free version can be used online? In this case paying would put you at a disadvantage.

I think a storyline to go along with the paid version of the Event would be enough incentive for many people to pay.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
An example of story DLC could do something like this, for this scenario I'll use Reshiram and Zekrom.
  1. The player hears about the legendary Pokemon from an NPC or a news outlet.
  2. The player is sent on a quest to find the item related to the legendary in some sort of dungeon. The dungeon could be a forest, desert, cave, or ruins. Along the way you could encounter other Pokemon not found in the regional Pokedex. In this case you would go into a cave/ruins to find the Light or Dark Stone.
  3. After acquiring the item it would summon the respective legendary Pokemon. From there you would battle the legendary Pokemon and try to capture it.
Personally I'd prefer to battle and try to capture the legendary Pokemon. It's more memorable than just receiving them as a gift without any effort. Heck I still remember trying to capture Giratina in D/P/Pl because its was so frustrating.

Last edited:

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
An example of story DLC could do something like this, for this scenario I'll use Reshiram and Zekrom.
  1. The player hears about the legendary Pokemon from an NPC or a news outlet.
  2. The player is sent on a quest to find the item related to the legendary in some sort of dungeon. The dungeon could be a forest, desert, cave, or ruins. Along the way you could encounter other Pokemon not found in the regional Pokedex. In this case you would go into a cave/ruins to find the Black or White Stone.
  3. After acquiring the item it would summon the respective legendary Pokemon. From there you would battle the legendary Pokemon and try to capture it.
Personally I'd prefer to battle and try to capture the legendary Pokemon. It's more memorable than just receiving them as a gift without any effort. Heck I still remember trying to capture Giratina in D/P/Pl because its was so frustrating.

Yeah but not everyone would share the same sentiment that's why its best to give players options. Some players who want the event Pokemon need to reset for shiny forms, IVs and nature so they probably won't bother with added story so they would probably be fine without it and getting it as a gift so they could soft reset.

BlueGreyPidove

Yeah but not everyone would share the same sentiment that's why its best to give players options. Some players who want the event Pokemon need to reset for shiny forms, IVs and nature so they probably won't bother with added story so they would probably be fine without it and getting it as a gift so they could soft reset.
I'd be fine with this and I reset for the natures and IVs I want. Being able to catch the Pokemon is more memorable and personal for me. I like being able to nickname my legendary and have them in specific Pokeballs to have them feel more personal. Something that is missing when just handed an event. Gift events feel less personal and they don't feel like they're earned. I, and I'm sure many people, would enjoy and extra location for lore, story and just more things to do.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Then why even pay for it, or, really, have it at all? If it's a pokemon you can't use anywhere but the storyline (likely finished by the time the events roll out) or some in-game battle facility, then why pay for it when the free version can be used online? In this case paying would put you at a disadvantage.
Well what I was worried about was if those who didn't pay for DLC were missing out and because of that I personally don't see any point literally distributing exactly the same Pokémon on Mystery Gift because those who pay have an advantage of getting another Mythical that's basically the same. Because of that the Pokémon Company might as well only distribute special (shiny, exclusive moves, HA) Mythical Pokémon online for free. It's up to everyone if they pay or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.