• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do All Paths Lead To Heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough if God is assumed to be the perfect being, but considering the process of life so far.. :|
An understandable objection. If we conclude that God exists, we must then deal with the apparent fact that God does not and has not intervened in the affairs of humanity--now there's a good "Why?" question, no?

Flame Mistress

I hope so, but it's highly unlikely that someone who committed genocide, took drugs and got arrested for god knows how many times would be able to go to heaven.

legendarypokemonmaster

^That depends on what standards/religion you believe.

trfan

The 'Weird' One
I don't believe hell is eternal, because logically not even Hitler deserves suffering to no end, mathematically that would be more than a billion times what he deserves, its ********. I doubt it even exists to be honest, hurting people doesn't solve anything, hopefully we all go to heaven and sins are left on earth.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
If a merciful, loving, and understanding God did exist then all paths would lead to heaven, but let's look back on human history, you only need to go back about 70 years to see that no such being could exist, or if it did it is incapable of interfering with humanity, and if that's true I doubt it can interfere after death any more than it can interfere in life. I'm not saying there isn't anything after death (no human being has any proof of what happens as no one's come back to tell us) but I really doubt that any religion's version of heaven exists.

trfan

The 'Weird' One
If a merciful, loving, and understanding God did exist then all paths would lead to heaven, but let's look back on human history, you only need to go back about 70 years to see that no such being could exist, or if it did it is incapable of interfering with humanity, and if that's true I doubt it can interfere after death any more than it can interfere in life. I'm not saying there isn't anything after death (no human being has any proof of what happens as no one's come back to tell us) but I really doubt that any religion's version of heaven exists.

I doubt the terrible things that happen on earth are an indication of what happens after death tbh.

paxromana

Goin to camp 7/3-7/9
Here's a hypo-/theo- -logical question:
let's say a person lives 500 years.
He Spends 400 doing community service, helping people, etc.
He spends the next 100 sitting in a circular room with his twin beneath a desert ruin, during which he is hired by the local Lord of Darkness to destroy a green-garbed hero who is trying to save the world, and is killed during a battle with said hero.
Will he go to heaven or hell?

Poketmonsta0310

I have been thinking a lot about god, heaven and hell in the past few months and one of the ideas I had is that, if the bible is to be believed, there is only a very slim chance of ever getting into heaven, if it exists.

In the bible Jesus states that faith alone is not enough, good deeds are manditory. Now, I dont know what your definition of a good deed is but I would have thought it would be something you do out of the goodness of your heart, without any selfishness or alteriour (spell check?) motive. I may seem very cynical in making this point but I dont beleive that there are many people on this whole planet that would truly do something kind for another person without any expectaion for a reward. Most christians do good things because they expect god to reward them with a place in heaven. This shows (by the bible's definition) that they are doing these deeds out of greed and really they are just doing it for themselves. This basicaly means that nearly any "good deed" done by a christian is inherantly selfish and is not deserving of reward and this renders the whole concept of a heaven worthless.

This actualy means that the only truly good deeds are performed by people who dont believe in any kind of heaven or afterlife as they dont believe that ther will be any reward for their deeds. As many have stated before in this thread, you have to believe to be sent to heaven, so none of these people are getting in.

This creates a conundrum. Anybody who beleives they will be sent to heaven for their actions will not enter, because they are inherantly selfish acts, and anybody who doesnt believe wont get in because they dont believe.

Also, anybody who says that just believing in Jesus Christ is enough to get you into heaven, I dont know how this could work since, as I have said, you are believing so you can get a place in heaven.

The idea that people would be sent to eternal punishment in hell is also a horrible idea since as people have stated before a god who would punish people infinitly for a finite crime is a monstorous thing.

People are probably going to say how they arent being selfish and they do it out of their love for god, but thruthfully, if you had grown up with people telling you there was a god who would make you follow all his strict rules without offering you any kind of incentive for following him or punishment for not, the chances of you deciding to follow that religion are small indeed.

This also makes the bible a very contradictory source, since it tells people to do good things without expecting reward, or they cant have a reward (heaven/salvation/forgiveness/whatever).

I dont want to cause offence to anyone, although people may, this is just an idea I came up with while pondering over god/religion/meaning of life type things.

There are probably loads of holes in this but I just wanted to share this idea I had come up with. Sorry if it isnt very well written since its about 4am where I am right now.

Last edited:
Here's a hypo-/theo- -logical question:
let's say a person lives 500 years.
He Spends 400 doing community service, helping people, etc.
He spends the next 100 sitting in a circular room with his twin beneath a desert ruin, during which he is hired by the local Lord of Darkness to destroy a green-garbed hero who is trying to save the world, and is killed during a battle with said hero.
Will he go to heaven or hell?

only if said hero has the tri force

Of course he will. IF God does exist why should he care what a person does anyway. There are 6 billion people on earth how many does he really care about?.

Just a bit of personal opinion but heaven seems like a **** place to go seeing as it's just a giant church where you have to behave yourself and fun is just about banned.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
This is what I believe.
No, there is ONE path to Heaven.
Jesus is the only way to eternal life with God.
If you believe He truely rose from the dead 3 days after being crusified and truley is God, accept him into your heart, and admit with your mouth to Him that you are a sinner, you're sorry, and you give your life to Him, you will be with Him forever in Heaven.

I also believe being a good person will NOT get you into Heaven. No one gets into Heaven except by Jesus. If you had to do good works to get there, why would He have had to die? It's only through him we are saved.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
Umm, guy above me, can I ask, not with disrepect, but how do you think we got here then?

olbeefy

Banned
Fair enough if God is assumed to be the perfect being, but considering the process of life so far.. :|

positivity and negativity are human constructs; if perfection is defined as the set of all positive attributes then perfection is a human construct and if god is defined as perfection then god is a human construct

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
God hasn't made us bad, we brought it upon ourselves.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
Reality? Or is it the unproven things that arrogant humans come up with to try and explain everything? We aren't meant to understand everything, but I can tell you, we did not come from a bunch of monkeys.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
How is God a racist? I find it amazing how you say God is a racist when you called God a pretty racist title. But I can see you won't open your eyes to the truth when it's right in front of you. That's okay, it's your choice. I hope you change your mind though. Have a great night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.