• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do animals live in the Pokemon world?

Do you think animals live in the pokemon world?

• Yes, they could probably live with them.

Votes: 113 50.4%
  • No, that's why they never make appearances.

Votes: 111 49.6%

• Total voters

Zachmac

Edit:When I say pokemon world, I'm thinking of right now. Animals only appeared in the earlier shows were pokemon lacked more, so those animals wouldn't count on this thread(even if they do in your mind). Just to make this argument a little more creative.

It started in my clan one time, where a debate between be and Superpower Emboar started.
Superpower Emboar said:
I thought birds didn't exist in Pokemon. . . .
Me said:
They do, you just never see them because they are unimportant. In firered, it said raichu could take out an African Elephant on the pokedex. All pokemon have classifications, lots of which are animals. For example, Pikachu is classified as the "mouse" pokemon. I think Archeops is the "first bird" pokemon, but I might be misremembering.
Superpower Emboar said:
I think the dex entry is just to help us compare it and associate them to the real world. I doubt in the world of pokemon. There is any animals because think of a salamence (hungry salamemce) flying over a field of cows and not grabbing a few for lunch. Now think of that with every hungry salamence and cows arent really existant anymore.
Me said:
Salamence aren't exactly common, and can easily beat a Tauros...Explain why Tauros aren't extinct.

I'm still sticking with the belief that animals do exist in pokemon. I'd also like to mention that humans, by definition, are animals.
Superpower Emboar said:
Tauros can learn attacks, thats why they wouldnt be extinct, cows on the other hand can only learn graze. Therefore tauros survive while cows are dead. Tauros burger anyone?
I didn't respond in that thread, but my thoughts are that Salamence are rare anyway, and Tauros aren't all that different from normal Bulls. Sure, tauros can attack, but with moves like Strength, Horn Attack, and other things that bulls can do. Sure, there is also surf and fire blast, but what will that do to a dragon-type? Tauros and Miltank aren't all that different from actual cattle, and Salamence are rare anyway. Also, before guns came along, it would also be rather easy for a Salamence to lift a human and fly away. Heck, it would be today, lots of people don't own guns.

So, do you think animals exist in the pokemon world? Discuss and debate. Please try to keep this thread from "going downhill", so don't make anything personal. By the way, I made this thread for a funner debate, since I'm kind of tired of seeing ones such as Religion Vs Science, where people just get angry with each other.

Last edited:

No. 1 Machop Fan

The Pokemon are the animals.

Normal fish have been seen in the Anime in the past, but they were very old episodes, when only 151 Pokemon were known.

Zappy!

Fly Birdy, Fly!
I would say no, as in my opinion, the pokemon are the animals.You could say similar things about Lillipup and Herdier in correlation to them not being very different to dogs, or Skitty, Glameow and cats etc. The thing is, animals can attack, yes, but, can they do the most extreme things the pokemon I have mentioned can do? Nope.

I do remember some pokedex entries that do also make comparisons between pokemon and people, mentioned by the OP with the Raichu, however, I agree with the statement about how that is used for people just to make comparisons and show how a particular pokemon is superior to an animal we think is certainly strong. I don't think animals have ever featured within the anime, or if the dex entries within it have made references to animals either.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
yeah, they have no animals in the pokemon world since they pokemon are the animals, the humans just treat them differently.

rocky505

There were actual fish in the cerulean gym in the anime so yes.

SilentStormfall

I think in the anime at least, the writers weren't paying too much attention to the detail so they had mentions of animals. There was that time where Ghastly turned into a mongoose in the Ghost of Maiden's peak episode. Animals don't appear again nowadays in the anime so I think the writers intend animals not to exist.

In the games, well as is stated above I think the pokemon are the animals and that references to animals in the pokedex are just to help us.

Zachmac

About the idea of pokemon being animals, what about plants? They have plants in pokemon and plant pokemon. Also, though they have pokemon like Stoutland to take the place of dogs, why can't they just be dogs? We have all sorts of dogs in the real world, retrievers, labs, ect.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I haven't seen much references to them except for a select few early episodes. Even if they never feature them again I still won't rule it out.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Nope, even though early eps had Non-Pokemon animals such as Fish (in Cerulean Gym as No. 1 Machop Fan pointed out), a mongoose and a tiny puppy.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
I recently came up with a very bizzare theory involving animals in the Pokemon world and why we never see them (don't read if you don't want your views on the Pokemon themselves to be altered, possibly forever):

The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs had a mysterious energy within it, known as "Hadou", that was released upon impact drastically altered the course of evolution of almost all, creating genetically altered "super-animals". Humans (and trees, flowers, and plants that aren't Grass types) are the only non-Pokemon on the planet as far as we know because they evolved to having an immunity to Hadou, Hadou is always flowing in the air, so if any non-Pokemon being is exposed to this energy, they are automatically morphed into Pokemon, this explains the existence of the "alien" species such as Deoxys and Elgyem. Glitches such as Missingno are pure mainifestations of Hadou, with no physical form to call their own. humans who don't have the immunity to Hadou and have powers like Pokemon do actually exist, and are known as "Psions" or "Hybrid Humans", Sir Aaron, Sabrina, and Riley are three of these Psions, Natural (aka. N) may be a Psion as well, given his ability to understand Pokemon.

By the way, "Hadou" is the Japanese name for "Aura", the thing Lucario uses.

And given the original plans Takeshi Shudo had for the third movie, it's obvious that he wanted real world elements to be involved in the Pokemon universe.

Last edited:

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
Well, do People eat anything other then fruits and veggies?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Well the only animal that was seen in the anime that is NOT A Pokemon was a fish back in the Original Series other than that no other animals but It could be possible.

Zappy!

Fly Birdy, Fly!
Well, with the mention of animals in the original series, I now think it was within the creators minds to just have pokemon as animals themselves. The fact that there hasn't been any animals recently featured should support this.

McDanger

I think that logically there would have to be animals because people would be either vegitarians, or if i remeber right in the anime they would have meats, the poor tauroses. But pokemon would eat each other like meowth and rattata, plus there have not been or little referece to guns in the animes, thus pokemon like salamence, beartic, etc would eat people too

Vanilluxe

Gear Grind~
If you recall back to the episode 'The Ghost Of Maiden's Peak', wayyyy back in the Kanto series, Gastly transforms into a Mongoose at one point, to scare Ekans.

Mongoose_anime.png

Maybe this means that animals do exist in the Pokémon world, they just aren't as common as Pokémon or something? :)

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Are there animals in the pokémon world?

Yes the pokémon are animal.

Are there animals from the real world in the pokémon world?

Yes, they are called humans which people always tend to forget.

Cratess

Ghostbuster
Probably,We'll never know until the guy who made pokemon confirm that there are/arent any animals in pokemon.