• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do Dent and his brothers run the cheapest First Early Gym ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

This is the gym that, presumably, new trainers who just got their starter, trash rodent, and trash regional bird go to, after only a half a dozen or so trainer battles in their ENTIRE career.

And what does this gym have?

Dent's Yanappu has SOLARBEAM, one of the most powerful Grass type moves.

Pod's Baoppu knows Flamethrower and Fire Punch, both much more powerful than the regional fire starter's Scratch/Tackle and Ember.

The Hiyappu is the only one that really is fair with Water Gun, but also knows Double Team.

And this is the FIRST gym? I bet there are a lot of losses among new trainers.

EDIT: I'm well aware that Games!=anime. Saying it x29349449494 doesn't help, it's just that this gym caught me off guard as being unusually difficult, but looking back on previous saga, Ash always seems to have an uphill battle with the first gym.

EDIT II: lolz @ someone accusing me of nostalgia.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was actually thinking the opposite; that the Sanyou City Gym is one of the easiest primary Gyms in the entire anime series. I mean, sure Yanappu, Baoppu, and Hiyappu have a few strong moves, but some of the previous primary Gym Leaders like Brock and Roark had giant Pokemon like Onix and Rampardos, and those seem way tougher than a few little monkeys with some fancy moves. I think the Sanyou City Gym is somewhere near the middle when it comes to difficulty.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Technically, there is no "first gym", Trainers in the Anime can go to any gym they want first, Ash just chose the Trio Gym.

The Gym Leaders see how experienced their challenger is and they test it, that's the whole point. They thought Ash was experienced, so they used some tough moves on him.

Teshub

Banned
Don't you mean Giovanni's gym? He had MEWTWO.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Ash only beat 2 of the 3 gym leaders, so you could basically get the badge as long as you win a battle.

Krizor

Evil Genius
When will people learn that things work differently in the anime than they do in the games.

Solarbeam and Flamethrower are pretty common, and how much damage they do depends on how strong the Pokemon using it is.

Gyms also don't go by numerical order in the anime.

TicoPokemonMaster

Ash only beat 2 of the 3 gym leaders, so you could basically get the badge as long as you win a battle.

The rules of the game for Ash's challenge was that he had to win 2 out of 3 matches to win.

So what if Yanappu and Baoppu know Solarbeam and flamethrower respectively. Any other trainer that goes there has to fight one of the brothers, and the trainer can choose which one to battle. Someone who wants an easy win go have a mamepato and choose Dento as the leader to challenge and the trainer has a type advantage.

Also so what if Hiyappu didn't have a special move unlike the other monkeys. Corn clearly demonstrated that Hiyappu is strong without a powerful move.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
This is the gym that, presumably, new trainers who just got their starter, trash rodent, and trash regional bird go to, after only a half a dozen or so trainer battles in their ENTIRE career.

Pod's Baoppu knows Flamethrower and Fire Punch, both much more powerful than the regional fire starter's Scratch/Tackle and Ember.

The Hiyappu is the only one that really is fair with Water Gun, but also knows Double Team.

You should see Roark's Rampardos: Head Smash, Headbutt, Zen Headbutt, and Flamethrower. That moveset seems far worse then a Solarbeam and Flamethrower. If levels were a major factor in the Anime, a Level 12 Boappu using Flamethrower on a possibly Level 10 Pokabu wouldn't do much damage any, even though its a powerful Attack.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
The rules of the game for Ash's challenge was that he had to win 2 out of 3 matches to win.

So what if Yanappu and Baoppu know Solarbeam and flamethrower respectively. Any other trainer that goes there has to fight one of the brothers, and the trainer can choose which one to battle. Someone who wants an easy win go have a mamepato and choose Dento as the leader to challenge and the trainer has a type advantage.

Also so what if Hiyappu didn't have a special move unlike the other monkeys. Corn clearly demonstrated that Hiyappu is strong without a powerful move.

Hiyappu had mud sport, reducing one of your weak type's damage output by 50% seems powerful/useful to me, all he had to watch out for was grass types challenging his water monkey.

TicoPokemonMaster

whoops i didn't explain myself. I meant any special water type move.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Don't agree with the topic starter for reasons stated. But to play the devil's advocate, Brock could arguably earn that comment as well since he had an Onix and Geodude. And even now, said Onix is a Steelix.

And I do second Roark's Rampardos for being strong, and being able to use a move that is super effective against a Grass Type.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
When will people learn that things work differently in the anime than they do in the games.
Probably never. As long as the masses delude themselves through gaming and nostalgia.

As to the topic at hand, I don't think so. Satoshi put up a good match against them.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Well to be fair, Ash's Pokabu only knew Tackle and Ember and did defeat that Baoppu.. Them monkeys might be overpowered, but lol.. yeah.. Ash's experience probably had the writers thinking: hmmm maybe we can through in some advanced moves just to make it look hard on him. Which explains Mud Sport..

Don't you mean Giovanni's gym? He had MEWTWO.

Yeah, that or Falkner with his Pidgeot: lalala walking through route 201 and 202 and I'm finally in Violet City with my trusty partners Chikorita, Spinarak, Bellsprout and Jigglypuff. Now I'm going to have my first gym battle! *Falkner poops out his Pidgeot* *Team faints* *Trainer releases them all for being weak*

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Roark's Rampardos is a bigger crime against nature.

Heck, Roark's entire Team seemed a lot stronger then some of the Gym Leaders that came after him (Crasher Wake). They probably upped the power of his Team to make Roark seem like a guy who was worthy of Ash, fresh off a Battle Frontier win, was worthy of losing to.

Same applies here. Ash tore through a lot of the Sinnoh League and knocked out two Legendary Pokemon that decimated anyone else who tried, but they needed to make the Gym Match at least close.

randomspot555

^^^That's actually a good explanation. After being on top of his game, he needs to get knocked back down a few notches. Though Hoenn-to-Sinnoh, that was handled by Gary.

Solarbeam and Flamethrower are pretty common, and how much damage they do depends on how strong the Pokemon using it is.

Gyms also don't go by numerical order in the anime.

Yes, I know games!=anime. But there are more powerful moves in the anime. Ember is less powerful than Flamethrower. Very few, if any, Pokemon that knows both Ember and Flamethrower are EVER going to use Ember again after learning Flamethrower. Infernape is an example of this

lol at Solarbeam and Flamthrower do damage depending on strength of the Pokemon, preceded by anime!=games, because that's exactly what happens in the games.

While trainers dont' go in numeric order, Ash does. His first gym is usually supposed to be the easiest, and I thought that the gym's gimmick was pretty powerful.

Though as others pointed out, it isn'a first. Rorak had a powerful Rampardos and used Stealth Rock.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Now that Dent isn't there, I don't think this gym is so hard to earn the badge.
Hiyappu was maybe pretty strong but don't forget that Ash defeated Baoppu and Yanappu with two new starters.

Krizor

Evil Genius
Yes, I know games!=anime. But there are more powerful moves in the anime. Ember is less powerful than Flamethrower. Very few, if any, Pokemon that knows both Ember and Flamethrower are EVER going to use Ember again after learning Flamethrower. Infernape is an example of this

lol at Solarbeam and Flamthrower do damage depending on strength of the Pokemon, preceded by anime!=games, because that's exactly what happens in the games.

The power of moves is determined by the writing staff. We've seen Pikachu take out powerful opponents with Thundershock despite the fact that it knew Thunderbolt plenty of times. So you can't really say a move is more powerful than another when it comes to the anime.

And in the games a move is strong depending on a Pokemon's numerical stats, while in the anime there are no stats to determine how powerful a Pokemon's move is. So in the anime, moves like Flamethrower are only as strong as the Pokemon is because their are no numerical stats on the show to separate the weak from the strong based on Evolutionary Stage, Type, or a moves Damage Output. So my point still stands.

While trainers dont' go in numeric order, Ash does. His first gym is usually supposed to be the easiest, and I thought that the gym's gimmick was pretty powerful.

Ash only goes in numerical order because the anime's plot works in conjunction with the game's plot for promotional reasons.

And in the anime there is no rank of strength among Gym Leaders.

I can see why the Trio Gym would be hard if a trainer only had a Grass/Fire/Water taype, a Normal Type and a Flying Type.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Those guys aren't gym leaders for nothing. If you remember the times Brock battled, like that tag battle with Ash using Steelix and Donphan against Charizard and Aggron, you'll realise that the first gyms aren't push overs. Even Roark. Remember how good he was? Or Falkner, his Pigeot made Charizard sweat. Games =/= anime guys. All gyms are powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.