• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do Fire Starters get too much Favoritism in the Anime?

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I feel like Ash’s Unova starters would have been done so much better if he got Emboar, Servine, and then Oshawott. I understand not evolving Oshawott, but the other two just needed an extra boost.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
Nah I feel oshawott out of all three needed an evolution. Dewott fits perfect with ash

I definitely agree Dewott would have been good, I just mean Oshawott was saddled with the comic relief starter role like Totodile, Piplup, Chespin, Rowlet, and Grookey so him evolving would have taken a miracle.

AJ97

I believe the reason for this also correlates to the kind of Pokemon that matches Ash and also a lot of the key powerful trainers in the anime.
At least from an anime perspective where battles are dynamic, it is a lot more interesting, easier, and appealing to showcase a fast/powerful attacker versus a slower/defensive pokemon. Additionally, the Pokemon should be able to have a combination of both interesting Close Contact/ Physical attacks and also Long Range/Special Attacks.

1) Kanto
In the case of Kanto, Charizard precisely fits the bucket versus Vensaur and Blastoise.

2) Johto
(N/A/ While Feraligatr and Typhlosion both would've fit this bucket, we still had Charizard that was going to be Ash's ace in the Johto League. So ) As for your argument about Quilava coming back, Ash's Chikorita evolved in Johto (Before Cyndaquill) and was even used in both major battles against Gary and Harrison.

3) Hoenn
Now for the first time we have 2 pokemon that fit this category, both in the form of Sceptile and Blaziken. Plus arguably, Sceptile is an even better match as both Trecko and Grovyle are > Torchic and Combusken in terms of the "Fast/Powerful attacker bucket".

4) Sinnoh.
Infernape clearly fits this bucket versus Torterra and Empoleon.

5) Unova
(N/A). Again in Unova, none of the final evolutions really fit this bucket. Maybe Serperior could've, but its design makes it weaker in the case of having enough appealing close contact moves.

6) Kalos
Again here, Greninja fits the above-mentioned bucket much greater versus Delphox and Chesnaught.

7) Alola
Incineroar again fits both buckets best

In conclusion, I believe most of the fire-starters simply match Ash's battle style best as they are fast/strong attackers and can have a combination of close contact and long-range attacks making battles more appealing. Hence, fire pokemon receive a lot of attention and the clear evidence for this is in the case of Kalos and Hoenn where an alternate type starter (Sceptile/Greninja) that fits these criteria better, ends up getting more focus.

That said, you could use a reverse argument saying fire pokemon are intentionally designed this way which could be considered favoritism, but that's besides the point.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I believe the reason for this also correlates to the kind of Pokemon that matches Ash and also a lot of the key powerful trainers in the anime.
At least from an anime perspective where battles are dynamic, it is a lot more interesting, easier, and appealing to showcase a fast/powerful attacker versus a slower/defensive pokemon. Additionally, the Pokemon should be able to have a combination of both interesting Close Contact/ Physical attacks and also Long Range/Special Attacks.

1) Kanto
In the case of Kanto, Charizard precisely fits the bucket versus Vensaur and Blastoise.

2) Johto
(N/A/ While Feraligatr and Typhlosion both would've fit this bucket, we still had Charizard that was going to be Ash's ace in the Johto League. So ) As for your argument about Quilava coming back, Ash's Chikorita evolved in Johto (Before Cyndaquill) and was even used in both major battles against Gary and Harrison.

3) Hoenn
Now for the first time we have 2 pokemon that fit this category, both in the form of Sceptile and Blaziken. Plus arguably, Sceptile is an even better match as both Trecko and Grovyle are > Torchic and Combusken in terms of the "Fast/Powerful attacker bucket".

4) Sinnoh.
Infernape clearly fits this bucket versus Torterra and Empoleon.

5) Unova
(N/A). Again in Unova, none of the final evolutions really fit this bucket. Maybe Serperior could've, but its design makes it weaker in the case of having enough appealing close contact moves.

6) Kalos
Again here, Greninja fits the above-mentioned bucket much greater versus Delphox and Chesnaught.

7) Alola
Incineroar again fits both buckets best

In conclusion, I believe most of the fire-starters simply match Ash's battle style best as they are fast/strong attackers and can have a combination of close contact and long-range attacks making battles more appealing. Hence, fire pokemon receive a lot of attention and the clear evidence for this is in the case of Kalos and Hoenn where an alternate type starter (Sceptile/Greninja) that fits these criteria better, ends up getting more focus.

That said, you could use a reverse argument saying fire pokemon are intentionally designed this way which could be considered favoritism, but that's besides the point.
I think that in Kalos, Fenekkin got the upper hand, for belonging to the MOST popular poke girl <3

Badfemalecompanion

If anything, there should be more.

Flint is out of the master's 8, so we're down one Infernape. Ash's own Infernape only got a cameo so far in journeys and his Charizard hasn't been seen since BW. I'm fully expecting nothing less than an appearance from Ash's Infernape and Charizard and Lance's Charizard, in addition to mega Charizard X (Alain) and dynamax (Leon). Hopefully Charizard Y too, if possible.