1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do Flying-type Pokemon have significance to a team competitively?

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by DarkTitan837, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DarkTitan837

DarkTitan837 Well-Known Member

I've been curious about this for a long time and wanted to share the question.

2. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Even now yes, Earthquake is that common.

3. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

Skarmory and Tornadus-T are pretty much some of the best I seen in OU. Tornadus-T has Regenerator and decent defenses so it can switch out and recover. Skarmory sets up Spikes easily with Sturdy and has that great 140 defense. Gliscor is now more annoying with Roost+Poison Heal as well. So yes Flying has been significant in OU.

4. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Older generations, keep the topic relevant.

5. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

Sorry, didn't really play 4th gen competitive much:(

6. Shinluxray348

Shinluxray348 The name is Luxray

I think so. Dragonite and Salamence are threats in the metagame. There is also skarmory who is a great wall.

7. ☭Secret_Shocker☭

☭Secret_Shocker☭ Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are. There's a lot of frequently used ground type moves.

8. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama Fancy footwork

I always use Braviary, or Staraptor in one of my online battles, I mean good Attack and Speed. But, if you have a Serene Grace Togekiss that knows Ancientpower or Air Slash, your opponent is dead. :D

9. Rinni

Rinni Hero of the Storm

I'm not sure about competitive nature but whenever I played the game through, I always caught a flying type at the start. But it was always the first to be replaced off my team.

10. Jaguartail

Jaguartail Well-Known Member

Yes. They are fairly strong in general, and there are a lot of ground type moves that they can avoid. All you need to really avoid with them is Electric Types.

11. IfritVSDiablo

IfritVSDiablo New Member

Yes flying types are good especially if you get a good/helpful ability like staraptor with intimidate but prediction is key online as usual

12. meteor64

meteor64 Show Me Ya Noobs

Lol Ground immunity alone makes them relevant, never mind Fighting and Bug resists. Having a STAB that hits Fighting, Grass and Bug hard is really nice, and pairs well with a Ground move of choice. Thats why HP Flying/Earthquake is standard on Mence in Adv.

13. 5221A

5221A Well-Known Member

Yes, Dragonite, Gyarados, Salamence, Skarmory, Zapdos and a ton more are very common and do great in loots of teams.

14. Darkazure

Darkazure Gentle Giant

Staraptor ain't in OU for nothing.

15. I_AM_BIB

I_AM_BIB The One and Only BiB

As well as being able to Fly from town to town, in battle, flying Pokemon have some pretty cool moves and techniques and also the resistance of ground-types.

16. BearTown

BearTown He needs a tissue :(

I've been downed by a good flying type. again, as in most types, it depends on ur strategy and how u train it. I battled someone who had a really good swellow aaaaand they destroyed me xD earthquake is a common attack because it's powerful so yes a flying type is good to have. just be careful of rock moves. pelipper is a good counter to that (although its still weak to rock moves). so I'd say flying pokemon have their good moments

17. Ghosts of the Forums

Ghosts of the Forums Who Ya Gonna Call?

most teams dont pack a flying resist. specs tornadus(-t) and special rain dragonite are a problem.

EDIT: oh sorry didn't see this was an older gen. skarm is pretty good, and sala is nice.

18. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

They main point of flying types are their imunity to ground. Most of them cannot cover their weakness to electric and ice. Competitively I don't like very much flying types.

19. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Well-Known Member

Zapdos and Skarmory say hi.

Not to mention Gliscor and a bunch of obscure lower tier threats like Moltres and Tropius.