• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do People actually read my Fic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Hi! Dormant here! Well, I made a Fic called 'Seeking for Trouble' and I notice that I got lots of views on my fic. But for some reason, only one (two technically but the first one was banned) person is reviewing my work. I don't know why is that people don't review my work. I merely curious why is like that.

I get a sick feeling that people just read the first part of my story and then just leaves instantly. I think my prologue is driving people out before they could read the rest of my fanfic. Can someone tell me why I got a minimal amount of reviews everyday? Because I don't know. Thank you.

So Dormant;429; signing off..

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Are they reading your fic?

I notice that I got lots of views on my fic.

Apparently!

But on the serious side, here's your actual problem:

Why is that a problem? Because people generally flock more towards stories by vets (people who have been around for a long while) than by newbies. Why? Several reasons. First, they have a better idea of what a vet writes like, so they have an implied guarantee concerning what to expect. Second, vets tend to participate more in a community, so people want to review the fics by the big-names of fandom. Third, it's a scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours kind of deal. The more active the vet is in terms of reviewing, the more likely they'll get responses because, well, they're more likely to return the favor at some point. Fourth, if you're a newbie who never interacts with the community on an active level, that tends to imply that you really have no interest in sticking around for anyone else's story, so people are less likely to want to connect to you, as blunt as that sounds. You'd have to be particularly good to get readers if you make it clear you're just here to post your fic.

So newbies and non-active vets end up needing to work harder to connect with the general community in order to gain attention for their work. They need to participate in discussions, submit reviews, and cultivate a certain reputation. Of course, this doesn't always net you a following. Still, it's a good way to make friends on a writing community, and friends = reviews. (Note that the most popular fics in the forum are also the ones written by people who have plenty of active friends.) That and if you slap a link or banner to your fic in your sig, you net readers that way via advertising every time you post.

Of course, in the meantime, if you're really that worried about reviews, be more active in getting them. Go ask reviewers to look at your stuff. Participate in the Review Game. Sign up for the Review Exchange. The last thing you want to do is complain that no one's reading your fic because, honestly, that tends to reflect badly on you as a writer (i.e., you end up sounding like you're demanding people to read), especially if you haven't really posted that much in the community. Not to put it too meanly or anything, but yeah, it's harder to get people to take you seriously if you do that.

Whatever you do, good luck, and hang in there!

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Are they reading your fic?

Apparently!

But on the serious side, here's your actual problem:

Why is that a problem? Because people generally flock more towards stories by vets (people who have been around for a long while) than by newbies. Why? Several reasons. First, they have a better idea of what a vet writes like, so they have an implied guarantee concerning what to expect. Second, vets tend to participate more in a community, so people want to review the fics by the big-names of fandom. Third, it's a scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours kind of deal. The more active the vet is in terms of reviewing, the more likely they'll get responses because, well, they're more likely to return the favor at some point. Fourth, if you're a newbie who never interacts with the community on an active level, that tends to imply that you really have no interest in sticking around for anyone else's story, so people are less likely to want to connect to you, as blunt as that sounds. You'd have to be particularly good to get readers if you make it clear you're just here to post your fic.

So newbies and non-active vets end up needing to work harder to connect with the general community in order to gain attention for their work. They need to participate in discussions, submit reviews, and cultivate a certain reputation. Of course, this doesn't always net you a following. Still, it's a good way to make friends on a writing community, and friends = reviews. (Note that the most popular fics in the forum are also the ones written by people who have plenty of active friends.) That and if you slap a link or banner to your fic in your sig, you net readers that way via advertising every time you post.

Of course, in the meantime, if you're really that worried about reviews, be more active in getting them. Go ask reviewers to look at your stuff. Participate in the Review Game. Sign up for the Review Exchange. The last thing you want to do is complain that no one's reading your fic because, honestly, that tends to reflect badly on you as a writer (i.e., you end up sounding like you're demanding people to read), especially if you haven't really posted that much in the community. Not to put it too meanly or anything, but yeah, it's harder to get people to take you seriously if you do that.

Whatever you do, good luck, and hang in there!

This is what I also think as well. When I joined here like forty seven days ago, I posted like two fics and they got one feedback on them(though one of them had two). Plus, you should realize why you decided to post that fic. Is it because you are proud of your work for what you have done or do you just want attention and just comments? I had JX to help me out with how I wrote because I wanted to write to write better. I requested her because I wanted to know what I needed to improve on.

And about what she said on the first paragraph is true. People would ignore you since they don't even recognize you as writer material. Also, why worry about not getting feedback? Just wait for a while, because it takes time. Like a few of mine, though I've been here for almost seven weeks.

If you feel like you need a review rather than the desire o garnering attention, just follow Jax's advice at the second half. You just can't get one instantly you know, that's not how it works. It takes thought, logic and consideration for the author to understand.

Last edited:

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Thanks you very much for the advice!!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Crud, Jax got here first. But she listed possibly one of the biggest issues a lot of writers have here, while I have my own as well, all from personal experience.

We have a phrase here on Serebii (and the interwebs in general) called "closet readers". These are the people who go around reading stories, but they don't reply. There are a few possible reasons why they don't reply.

One: they're shy/not confident. Many closet readers have come out to say they don't know how to write good reviews to make you, the author, happy. They would like to write a review, but they can't bring themselves to.

Two: the reader didn't like what they saw and clicked the back button. First impressions, in other words. It happens, you can't please everyone in the world with your work. Sometimes, bad grammar/spelling errors will chase some readers away because they're looking for good quality wok. Sometimes, what's listed to be in the story will also chase people away, whether for personal reasons or otherwise. Which leads to:

Three: they don't want to offend you. Sometimes, a reader will click on the thread and not like what they see. They may read the story, but there will be times where a reader doesn't want to go on for various reasons, and will leave. Some of them will tell you their feelings, but it's hard at times to be polite when you're giving a negative review. The reader isn't angry, they just don't know how to put it into words, and don't want to leave the wrong impression.

Four: unfamiliarity to the fandom. This happens as well, but it rarely happens here. Majority of the stories here are Pokémon-related because this is a Pokémon forum. We do have a section for non-Pokémon stories as much of a ghost town as it is, and the Shipping Fics section does allow non-Pokémon shipping fics. If the person doesn't know who the characters are, they'll be confused and leave for another story. Which is why it's important to have the name of the fandom you're writing for in the title, or the very first line so the mouse-over text will reveal what it is. Sometimes, the people will try their hand at a new fandom, but most of the time, they don't know what to say about it.

Five: time limit. Some people like to read all of the current chapters before they leave a review. If it's a huge story, they have a lot of words to read, and also (depending on the thread) have a lot of posts to go through to get to the chapters. Not everyone here has the time nor stamina/patience to sit and read in one sitting. So they'll bookmark their spot and return to it later, thus adding to the viewcount more.

I'm sure there's at least one or two more reasons why there will be more views than reviews (and that ratio will always exist), but I can't think of any others. Hopefully that'll open your eyes some more as well.

Dilasc

Boip!
I think the big reason around here most don't comment is because the fanfic boards tend to expect quality reviews and most reviewers don't have that zazz to go through and pick apart all the problems a story may have. They see reviews from the more avid readers who multi-quote and give a little final thoughts at the bottom and they say "I can't do that" and thusly don't.

Actually... if you want readers, the best way is to read other's work, give them a reply, and hope they'll have the courtesy to do the same for thee!

LizardonX

Banned
Don't worry about PC, I have 4500 and only like 3 people give feedback per chapter. But every single one is appreciated. But if your story really stands out and people like it then they will review. abur remember you're writing to improve your own skills and express your ideas, reviews are helpful but never required.

Last edited:

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Yeah, I read other peoples fanfiction. Plus, you're right pokemonsquared Reviews are not required. I'm just curious why I get minimal reviews so I put up this thread. And yeah thanks everyone!!

Psychic

Really and truly
It's a question that's been asked a million times, and the answers are always the same. Please do a forum search before making a thread in the future. :p

Question answered, so closing this.

~Psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.