• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do People Have the Right to Commit Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grei

not the color
Obviously. You can't fricken tell someone not to kill themselves (well you can, but you can't make them not.)
Everyone has every right to take their own life, if they choose.

And to whoever says suicide is cowardly. SHUT UP. Just because you guys have the perfect life, when you get anything you want ..doesn't mean everybody else has it that easy. Most of the world is suffering. And when you're in that much pain/depression ..you just don't feel the reason for being alive.
People aren't cowards for killing themselves. They're just sick of the pain.

Exactly.

^YES. For those who have been through bad depression, the pain becomes crippling. Your life suffers. You really don't have the will to do anything and you don't feel as though you should be alive. You're confidence plummets, which helps in making you feel as though you aren't worthy of life.

I dunno. Some people just don't get it, and never will get it.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
Psychological treatment doens't work for everyone though... and some feel worse for actually needing it... I refuse it because then everyone would be too nice to me cause I have a harder life compared to everyone else in my area (you know how aggravating it is when people tell you how awesome a party was the night before when you always have to miss em to help out on the farm, and thats not even the full of it)

Pandeji

USED ULTRASPLASH!!!
Hey.
I think we already covered the topic point of do we have the legal right to commit suicide.
Obviously this discussion sparked more "Is suicide morally right/wrong?" debates.
Maybe just change it to that?

dracoburn

Lance's protege
anyone who thinks suicide is cowardly, i do suggest that you take all your fingers and superglue them together so that you can no longer type out such bluntly inappropriate comments, ok? thank you

choosing to do myself off was the hardest choice ive ever made. but ill admit, it was easier to slit my wrist than to watch my own blood spill out upon my lap, my bed, my floor... all the regrets youve ever had flood your mind and your heart. as you die, you watch yourself go and think of all that youre leaving behind, all that youve wanted and loved. you dont remember the bad things, you only think of the good. its heartbreaking. and then to wake up, have a new start... its the waking light that breaks your heart, but the dark of your final night to mend it.

its scary as hell to kill yourself, no matter how depressed you are. how does that make someone a coward?

Cowardice... HA! Not everyone has life easy... some have it so hard they can barely walk at the end of the day or even think.... Some try so hard to do what they want and keep their parents and family happy at the same time... some even have a reputation to keep up to in their family... it takes a lot of bravery to be willing to kill yourself

Yes anyone has the right to kill themself... Technically everyone has the right to do anything they want, there is no magical force stopping them.

Obviously. You can't fricken tell someone not to kill themselves (well you can, but you can't make them not.)
Everyone has every right to take their own life, if they choose.

And to whoever says suicide is cowardly. SHUT UP. Just because you guys have the perfect life, when you get anything you want ..doesn't mean everybody else has it that easy. Most of the world is suffering. And when you're in that much pain/depression ..you just don't feel the reason for being alive.

Exactly.

^YES. For those who have been through bad depression, the pain becomes crippling. Your life suffers. You really don't have the will to do anything and you don't feel as though you should be alive. You're confidence plummets, which helps in making you feel as though you aren't worthy of life.

I dunno. Some people just don't get it, and never will get it.

Nothing more than cowards, if you don't want to face the things that life puts in your way, you're a coward, and any other argument against this logic will be seen as nonsense.

People with suicidal tendencies are far too obvious about it, some even try to commit suicide for the most senseless things, i.e. Your wife died, you have a good job and 3 kids, a caring family and many friends, but you're going to commit suicide in front of your kids? (This actually happened about a week ago to someone I know)

People no longer have the guts to live.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
Nothing more than cowards, if you don't want to face the things that life puts in your way, you're a coward, and any other argument against this logic will be seen as nonsense.

People with suicidal tendencies are far too obvious about it, some even try to commit suicide for the most senseless things, i.e. Your wife died, you have a good job and 3 kids, a caring family and many friends, but you're going to commit suicide in front of your kids? (This actually happened about a week ago to someone I know)

grrrr

did you read a word of what i just wrote? apparently you neglected to note my response to your extremely hated argument. anybody who has ever so much as considered suicide is officially much offended, and for good reason- you have written that we are all cowards, which makes no sense considered that it may be the hardest thing on earth to do. you simply dont understand, do you? depression is crippling. it hurts. its nearly impossible to get out of bed in the mornings, and sleep is all you can anticipate during the day. its horrible, and the tiniest thing can set you off. its unbearable, and anyone who can think to discount its power needs a serious reality check. NOW.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}

Errr... it seems to be a spread misconception that living requires guts. Once upon a time, maybe in the Middle Ages. Nowadays, in particular for the common people, it's no longer about guts. It's about how much can one be forced to compromise before going insane.

And ot accepting the things that life puts in your way is called nonconformism (a pansocial phenomenon that triggers innovation). Not "cowardice".

I don't see exactly how not wanting to be part of the current game of life counts as cowardice. It's not like there's actually a better state of things waiting for us if we decide to off ourselves (and if there is, there is no way to know). Cowardice implies that the alternative course of action taken (for example: running away) is simpler, duller, and by virtue of the social circumstances in which its opposite occurs, safer; all of which death is not, in particular for people who have had to contemplate WHY to kill themselves!

As others, in particular Farmermon, have pointed out, killing anyone in particular oneself is an act that requires bravery to the least, and an extremely high concept of the self to the most. Killing oneself goes against every layer of evolutive and adaptive behaviour we have learnt or have been programmed with, be it the simple instructions of the survival instinct, or the knowledge that even after death you will cost your family lots of money in funerary services and the such.

Kit Kat said:
And that's the best[/b] half of the problem! ALet's remember that there are problems the actual best solution one can handle by oneself (ie.: not relying on superior or worst case "divine" forces) requires actually killing oneself. With the current state of the world it's not very difficult to reach a point where the only way you can ensure your wife or kids can get the costly medication that they need to live one year longer is to either kill someone or kill oneself. Things simply have spiraled down out of one's control to the point where you are left with a handful of unwinnable moves to do, most of the time because there is no one left to trust and who can help with the problem (no, there is no infinite employment, and no, moral correctness does not pay gross medical bills). Add to this that you will feel sad and worried about it...

And for those who suggest that "wanting to off oneself" is something tthat has to be solved with psychological treatment, of all things: how are you sure that wanting to opt out of our lives is the "sick" thing to do while living every day as not much more than a robot, pursuing other people's goals so that they earn money and wealth, is the "sane" state of mankind? Remember that psychological treatment nowadays is intended not to actually help people but to normalize uncommon behaviour.

Ending one's own suffering is something we all should be capable to do. We should also fight, however, so that no one has to, although that falls outside the scppe of this discussion. With regards to having the [legal/ethical/moral] right, it's actually quite simple: are we as individuals so attached to the concept of being alive that we want to force it upon others against their will and against their welfare? Because, really, if you want to keep a terminally ill person alive by all means, suffering physical and emotional pain every day and night because forcing that person to live in pain until he dies not having met the cure makes you a DAMN MORAL HERO, then it is YOU who have psychological problems.

Jumpman93

Rock on.
Cowards, no cowards, just SHUT THE **** UP.

It doesn't matter how LEGAL or BRAVE it is.

People die every day. The news every day has stories of three-year-olds walking into a road and people dying in wars and from cancer and flu and AIDS and MURDER.

Life is precious. You get ONE. You lose it, it's GONE.

People lose theirs against their will. They WANT to live. You think just because a kid is dying in a hospital bed he doesn't still want to grow up to be just like his Dad?

What I'm getting at is: how could you throw away something so valuable.

It's not cowardice.

It's not illegal.

It's SICK.

It's DISGUSTING.

I see people's posts saying "It's brave to die I slit my wrists lol"

Get a LIFE.

You can make up all the sob stories you want, but I swear if you come at me with one I'll shove it so far up your *** you'll taste it.

ThePokéman09

You do make good points, but unfortunately they aren't relevent to the topic at hand.

It's not whether it's right or wrong. It's if people have that as a right, like the freedom of speech. Something that can't be taken from you.

[Name] the [Occupation]

Pokemans Trainer
IMO, you have the freedom to do whatever you want with your life, including ending it. However, it is by no means recommended. I suppose if you're terminally ill and going to die naturally with more pain and medical bills anyways, you certainly should be allowed to die. If you're supporting a family and stuff, you should consider the consequences. It's selfish, but in the end, it's your call.

Well there are no reprocussions to the person partaking in this act, so it's not really a matter of having the 'right'. It's kind of cruel to family members and loved ones to just go off and die without prior notification.

What it boils down to is it's your life.

striker

I AM THAT IS
I dont think their is a right to suicide. Cause their cant possibly be a valid reason to taking the "Cowards way out" no?

BTW I cant be ask to read all the comments os i dont know what has or hasnt been said so im gonna build my arument from here on.

Can any of you Pro-Choice people give me a example where suicide is exceptable?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Can any of you Pro-Choice people give me a example where suicide is exceptable?

Alright.

Say you're suffering from an incurable illness that hurts like a female dog, and will kill you.

In other words, you don't have much time to live, and every second is painful.

I dare say suicide is by no means cowardly, wrong, or disgusting in that case.

Oh, right, and the whole money issue.

Say you have a family desperately in need of medicine. If you kill yourself, said family will receive desperately needed money from whatever life insurance company you had (as long as you killed yourself two years after you signed up for the policy though).

Suicide is something in between right and wrong.

As such, it differs on a case to case basis. It can be noble, it can be wrong, it can be cowardly, it can be brave: it depends on the motive.

Either way though, someone's going to have to pay funeral costs.

striker

I AM THAT IS
Yay! somebody, i was afraid i was gonna end up arguing with americans all day.

Ok, (talk about picking the obvious) that suicide to solve actuall physical pain and in that instant i can say its exceptable (ish). The family wouldnt want to see their love one in pain and would generally be rather relived that theve gone to a better place (thats right, i said it. A better place, meaning heaven).

But you ALL knw full well that makes up to a small number of suicide case compared to those of rediculous reason which can be solved withouth the use of killing urself, even depression falls into that catagory.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Suicide should not be legally condoned. How do we differentiate who has "the right to die" and who doesn't? Everybody has different standards. I hear a lot of people saying if someone is in constant pain and wants to die, that they should be able to, but it is more complex than this.

For instance, I am in periodic/constant pain. I just had a spinal surgery. However, my friend broke up with his girlfriend, and he says he can't live, eat, function normally without her. Should he be allowed to commit suicide? There are all sorts of instances in our life where we lose hope, and things seem bleak and hollow, but more often than not, these pass with time. Setting a legal option as an exit for something temporary would be horribly damaging.

Not to mention in a capitalistic society, it would bring instant gratification to the life and death spectrum, and we're already so prone to instant gratification.

On the other hand, there are instances where I think suicide is not morally wrong. Many of them are, some of them aren't. Some of them are cowardly, some of them are damn brave! The point that I'd like to make though is that it's a good thing to have a lot of obstacles in the way of someone killing themselves, because the point of life is living. There should be as many chances to save someone from suicide as possible, short from taking away all their rights and dropping them in a rubber room with a straightjacket on. People should have the right to commit suicide, but not easily.

Mawile412

Problem
Th1rteen R3asons why is a good book. So if anyone wants to read a story about a girl who kills herself and why, read it. It helps you understand suicide more.

Red Globe

Si Vis Amor, ama
Who are you, God or any other being/thing to decide if a person has a right to kill itself?

It's their choice, if you take that choice away from them it'll make them only more miserable.

Last edited:

Gallade324

Typhlosion Lover.
There's nothing wrong with being a coward in my opinion, and i don't beleive suicide is the cowards way out. If you were so depressed and sick of your life and beleived you were worthless then you would want to kill yourself most probably, most of you guys probably have no idea how these people feel.

ElectiCrow

Do The Tevez!
Yes, its there life and they can do what they want with it even though i dissparove of sucicde

Status
Not open for further replies.