• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do physical appearances influence how you/others think of something?

Electrolled

;306; or ;151;

Which one LOOKS stronger? Any Pokemon trainer knows which one IS stronger, but, which one looks more threatening? Aggron. Right. But, as we all know, in a battle with, say, them each at level 100, and move-sets that have moves strong on the other Pokemon, who would win?

Mew. With a single Aura Sphere (or 2 including sturdy).

Aggron could use maybe Payback or Dark Pulse, but it couldn't take down Mew.

Anyways, back to the actual topic (which is not Pokemon--I guess it could be).

Have you ever seen someone who was Asian? That stereotypical thing would be either extremely smart or a tennis/ping pong player.

The black guy, the one who stole your VCR and the nice sneakers he's wearing? Also, he's good at basketball and football, and can't swim.

The tall guy who experiences a different climate?

The short guy that can't reach the top of his locker?

Have any of you ever heard someone say stuff like that to their face? Maybe, but usually not. How about your friend? Have they ever said anything about them to you? Probably, maybe. Have you ever thought about it, but didn't say anything? I'm not gonna lie, I have.

But I do know Asians that are absolutely idiots, black people who have never stolen anything, tall people who live in our world, and the intelligent short kid who figured out how to get everything out of their locker.

There are other things, like how white people can't do anything that a black or Asian can do better, or how girls are supposed to stay in the kitchen, and guys are all stupid.

What my discussion (what I hope it) will be about is how people do or do not second guess themselves.

In my school, there is racism. Nothing like Abraham Lincoln times, but there still is. I hear the racist comments, the N-word, and people'll just treat you different.

There's also gays and nerds. Fat and skinny people. Punks, goths, goody-two shoes, pretty much every type of person has a negative stereotype about them.

I can't name one type of person without a stereotype that's negative/offensive. President? Barack Osama. No. Queen? No. I...just can't!

Popular kids, losers, loudmouths, pseudo-mutes.

I just want to know what you think about it.

Some people say 'Don't judge a book by it's cover', but I still do. It doesn't make a difference in how I treat them to their face. But behind their back or in your private thoughts?

"Yeah he's so creepy his voice is really high."

"Is he a man or a woman his...or her hair is so long!"

These stereotypes will never stop. Yes, lots of Asians are smart. Yes, black people will still steal. But imagine if people didn't think about everyone before they got to know them.

I just want to hear your thoughts on the topic and if you ever did anything like this to someone, weather in your thoughts or to your friends.

One more thing: Because of all these stereotypes, people have to hid some things. Maybe an Asian won't do as good as she could have, and a black kid will have to be really nice to a teacher to get the same treatment as the white kid.

The nerd has to hide his secret obsession with a trading card game *cough* so that his other nerd friends don't shun him.

I'm hoping for a discussion between the more intelligent people of these forums, but any questions or comments from the ones who know a little bit less can be here as long as they are respectful and don't say stupid stuff.

So, uh, that's it.

Discuss.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I am one who will say those things, but only to people I know and know I do not mean harm by it. I also expect and receive like treatment. As I do qualify as the P whipped husband at times. I was Nicknamed Eiffie (Eiffel tower!) back in Jr High cause I was taller than average. As for the racism... You'd think I'd have seen more of it being I was a student before the PC crowd took over. Seriously when your school is 98.4% whites, you would think the few minority kids would have had a rough time! No it was the nerds, geeks, dweebs and other assorted outcasts that had problems, Including this very gamer geek).

No Stereo typing will never go away, It may change over the decades but we as people must label everything we encounter! it is in our nature. Sometimes it is meant to be hurtful, other times it is simply by our personal observation that will land the stereo type on others. As an Irish Pollock I will be the first to stereo type myself as being to stubborn to know I'm stupid! But it's because of this kind of self awareness that there is nothing anyone can say about me that can hurt. I know who I am. I know what I am. And that knowledge makes me immune to insults from anyone!

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
In a way, yeah it does. Sometimes, I keep thinking that bdon't really like toig guys in our school are bullies or nerdy looking people don't really like to party much. I do believe in stereotypes, but I think it's wrong to stereotype someone because that is just making a hasty generalization, which is wrong. I'm Asian but I admit that I'm not that smart. Sometimes, that causes a problem to many people. So before we stereotype or label someone, we should be more open-minded before we start to label them and to avoid a big misunderstanding. Suppose, just because I do a certain thing, does it mean that everyone who shares similar traits with me does it? Of course not. Let us be more open-minded on these kind of issues.

Zwitter™

Surhomme
I think stereotyping is fine sometimes. Grouping a set of people on a particular feature or hobby is fine as long as you identify when you're doing it. Take a group of gamer geeks or maths nerds say. They each have a common identifier for the whole group (games and maths).
It's when you make a negative stereotype based on something you haven't observed ,such as all black people steal, that I think is wrong. Some black people steal yes, but so do some white people and some Asians etc. Being black is not a common identifier for all thieves and vice versa.

To be honest, I do stereotype a lot. I would say most people do, as Malanu said "it's our nature". I can only hope to identify when I'm making an untrue generalisation so that it doesn't effect the way I treat someone.

Nope, I don't judge people by their looks. Your appearance doesn't defines how your personality is. They way you dress reflects a bit of your personality but not all of it.

Bossk

Like a champ.
Well I mean, I guess some people will just always have that bit of "racism" I guess you would call it in their mind. Like just how they were raised, no matter how nice they are, they might have this immediate thought when seeing somebody of a certain race/religion/ect. For instance, some people see an african-american and have a negative mindset, but that doesn't mean that the person hates all of them or anything like that.

I, for instance, when I hear of a religious person I usually have an immediate negative outlook already, but I can see past it and don't hate anybody like that, it's just the way I grew up, the way I was raised, I always see some sort of immediate negative about it. Not that I want to, take pleasure in it, or actually hate or dislike the person, it's just that I start off with a negative mindset towards them. My two best friends are religious, and more of my other friends are, I can definitely see past it, it's just the mentality I start in. I may sound like an ***, but it's hard to explain.

As referring to someone saying anything to eachother's face, I don't know any racists or anything, but none of my friends (me included) have no problem with making jokes towards eachother about it; we're all good sports when it comes to jokes because none of us are serious, and I don't really know anyone that's serious.

Electrolled

I am one who will say those things, but only to people I know and know I do not mean harm by it. I also expect and receive like treatment. As I do qualify as the P whipped husband at times. I was Nicknamed Eiffie (Eiffel tower!) back in Jr High cause I was taller than average. As for the racism... You'd think I'd have seen more of it being I was a student before the PC crowd took over. Seriously when your school is 98.4% whites, you would think the few minority kids would have had a rough time! No it was the nerds, geeks, dweebs and other assorted outcasts that had problems, Including this very gamer geek).

No Stereo typing will never go away, It may change over the decades but we as people must label everything we encounter! it is in our nature. Sometimes it is meant to be hurtful, other times it is simply by our personal observation that will land the stereo type on others. As an Irish Pollock I will be the first to stereo type myself as being to stubborn to know I'm stupid! But it's because of this kind of self awareness that there is nothing anyone can say about me that can hurt. I know who I am. I know what I am. And that knowledge makes me immune to insults from anyone!

I'm surprised. I would think there's more racism. That's where I am, anyways. But I think it differs from your view. You said you were a gamer geek, so you probably saw the stereotypes first hand. I don't see that. The gamers in my school tend to just hang around each other, and as long as they don't get in the way of everyone, then they're fine and everyone's happy. People do talk behind their back, (of course), but I don't see people actually making fun of them.

Also, what I believe your saying is that if you make a stereotype about yourself, it doesn't matter if others agree.

In a way, yeah it does. Sometimes, I keep thinking that bdon't really like toig guys in our school are bullies or nerdy looking people don't really like to party much. I do believe in stereotypes, but I think it's wrong to stereotype someone because that is just making a hasty generalization, which is wrong. I'm Asian but I admit that I'm not that smart. Sometimes, that causes a problem to many people. So before we stereotype or label someone, we should be more open-minded before we start to label them and to avoid a big misunderstanding. Suppose, just because I do a certain thing, does it mean that everyone who shares similar traits with me does it? Of course not. Let us be more open-minded on these kind of issues.

Yeah, some stereotypes are not bad like the 'asian being smart' one, although I've never been in that position and don't understand it completely. Yes, we should be open minded, thanks for your contribution.

I think stereotyping is fine sometimes. Grouping a set of people on a particular feature or hobby is fine as long as you identify when you're doing it. Take a group of gamer geeks or maths nerds say. They each have a common identifier for the whole group (games and maths).
It's when you make a negative stereotype based on something you haven't observed ,such as all black people steal, that I think is wrong. Some black people steal yes, but so do some white people and some Asians etc. Being black is not a common identifier for all thieves and vice versa.

To be honest, I do stereotype a lot. I would say most people do, as Malanu said "it's our nature". I can only hope to identify when I'm making an untrue generalisation so that it doesn't effect the way I treat someone.

Like the jocks, they all do sports. That's not necessarily negative. Unfortunately, many black people end up poor and in areas they can't get out of. Then the 'only' way for them to feed themselves and their families are to steal. That's why you don't see anyone in richer neighborhoods getting robbed. And that's how stereotypes. Interviewers think of this, and they don't get hired. Then they have to continue stealing. So I see that people who believe in stereotypes make them worse.

Nope, I don't judge people by their looks. Your appearance doesn't defines how your personality is. They way you dress reflects a bit of your personality but not all of it.

That's true. But sometimes it's not even how you dress. It could be how you speak, or walk, things like that are are unchangeable.

What a terrible OP.

What does that mean?

Well I mean, I guess some people will just always have that bit of "racism" I guess you would call it in their mind. Like just how they were raised, no matter how nice they are, they might have this immediate thought when seeing somebody of a certain race/religion/ect. For instance, some people see an african-american and have a negative mindset, but that doesn't mean that the person hates all of them or anything like that.

I, for instance, when I hear of a religious person I usually have an immediate negative outlook already, but I can see past it and don't hate anybody like that, it's just the way I grew up, the way I was raised, I always see some sort of immediate negative about it. Not that I want to, take pleasure in it, or actually hate or dislike the person, it's just that I start off with a negative mindset towards them. My two best friends are religious, and more of my other friends are, I can definitely see past it, it's just the mentality I start in. I may sound like an ***, but it's hard to explain.

As referring to someone saying anything to eachother's face, I don't know any racists or anything, but none of my friends (me included) have no problem with making jokes towards eachother about it; we're all good sports when it comes to jokes because none of us are serious, and I don't really know anyone that's serious.

Yes, we all have stereotypes embedded into our head, we can't do much about that. But what we can do (and what you did), is not completely judging them, you're allowing them to prove them wrong. I commend that. If you weren't so open, you wouldn't have a ton of the friends you do have now.

Everyone is slightly prejudice, not in a negative way, but only because many associations tend to be true.

But many associations tend to be UNtrue. I understand your thinking though. But, next time, try to think that it might NOT be true before you think it could be.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Unfortunately, many black people end up poor and in areas they can't get out of. Then the 'only' way for them to feed themselves and their families are to steal. That's why you don't see anyone in richer neighborhoods getting robbed. And that's how stereotypes. Interviewers think of this, and they don't get hired. Then they have to continue stealing. So I see that people who believe in stereotypes make them worse.

You do realize this is also a stereotype, right?

DMerle

Guess who's back
Honestly, yes. The first thing you see when you meet someone is how they look, and even if you don't know, it does subconsciously influence how you feel about them.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
i try to read other people's faces and guess what they're thinking. its usually the first thing i do when i meet somebody new.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Physical apperance influence how I think of things? Yes, yes it does. I would rather go through a town rather than a dark forest to get where i am heading. does that count?

blackterminator3

I don't judge people on their physical appearances or what they wear. I only judge them by their attitudes and personalities. I do try to guess what they are thinking.

Chili

I don't judge people on their physical appearances or what they wear. I only judge them by their attitudes and personalities. I do try to guess what they are thinking.

I'm kind of the same. Sometimes the thinking part. And sometimes their appearances matter. I don't like people who sag their pants.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I am very judgemental towards pretty people.

blackterminator3

I'm kind of the same. Sometimes the thinking part. And sometimes their appearances matter. I don't like people who sag their pants.

I also don't like people who sag their pants, but if they are a good person, oh well what are you going to do.

Mudkipzroks

I like being nice!
I don't judge people by the way they look if they like the stuff like i like and have a great personality then well yeah i never judge people by the way they look

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
What a terrible OP.

What a terrible post.
On topic, I'm tall and play pokemon, fairly poor, so most people think I'm immature and stupid.