• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do robots have rights.

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
I think granting rights on the basis of intelligence is waaayyyyy to shaky. Using that, severely retarded people, and very young people, wont be prescribed rights. The ability to suffer is safer mithinks.
ok fine. You got me. Ok, what if a robot murders someone? Would they get the 'death' penalty or what?

Kenmei

Eien
^ Why not?

As of now, no. Mainly because they only do what we say. It's like giving rights to a lamp.

When they do have intelligence, yes. We should. Anything living or life like should have rights.

Until they try to take over humanity. -laughs evilly-

Hera+

No. The only right robots have is to be perforated by bullets.

fierylord

Charmander! Yay!
Im typing this on my personal robot now. It has never hurt me.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Only if they gain the ability to understand that humans are using them for cheap labor.

But humans shouldn't be as dense as to give them enough capability to analyze situations and then give them the tools they need to act on a situation (guns, lasers, whatever). If they do then if something happens it's all the designers fault.

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
Robots are just machines to be used. They have no emotions, thoughts, or anything that would make them have rights. Mabye in the future robots will be like humans and have rights, but for now: NO

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
I can't really say, I'm not a robotics expert or a philosi... philosa... Guy who wonders about crap. In my opinion, only if they ask for it. Foolproof.

Yes we do.
D:
We're just as great as you no-good, self-absorbed humans.
No offense.

Just a reminder: Android Hell is a REAL place where you WILL go at the first sign of defiance.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
By the way, should we actually make robots with feelings, then we're utterly and completely frickin' screwed.

Mankanshoku Mako

We made robots to make the lives of everyday people better. Not to create a new species of life. They deserve about as many rights as the T key I just typed.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
By the way, should we actually make robots with feelings, then we're utterly and completely frickin' screwed.
No we're not, unless humans do something the robots wouldn't like, in which case, we are freaking screwed.

As of technology today, this is science fiction so no, it won't happen for a while, robots are programmed. Which bring up an interest point, in Star Wars, the robots are PROGRAMMED to do what they are doing.

Hera+

Have I not made this clear. Don't trust the robots. Sure they have a great poker face. They're robots. I'm saying, if it's mechanical and has limbs, it's going to die at my hands.

Edit: They're just one step away from zombies people.

Last edited:

pokeguru

I like to play hero!
In our world, robots shouldn't be prone to going on strike because they don't behave like us.

Do they have minds? No.

Do they even have a sense of emotion? Heck no!

Hera+

...they don't behave like us.

Do they have minds? No.

Do they even have a sense of emotion? Heck no!

And so they must be destroyed.

pokekid1

The First Pokékid
No thanks; I don't want a lawsuit for disposing of my microwave.

/endjoke

First off, what exactly is "robot"? It is an object created to obtain a purpose. Quite simply, it is a tool.

What does a vacuum do? It cleans.
What does an oven do? It cooks.
What does a chainsaw do? It cuts.
What does a computer do? It stores knowledge.

Now think of the counterparts to these.

A broom cleans.
A pan over fire cooks.
A knife cuts.
A book stores knowledge.

Would you say that a BROOM should be given special rights? No, so why should a vacuum?
Would you say that a PAN should be given special rights? No, so why should an oven?
Would you say that a KNIFE should be given special rights? No, so why should a chainsaw?
Would you say that a BOOK should be given special rights? No, so why should a computer?

Regardless of the fact that four of these eight tools are more advanced, they do not deserve any more "rights" than their less evolved counterparts.
I totally agree with and support Slightly Insane.

puxzkkx

Beware!
Lol, no...

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
Embryos dont and so robots definatly shouldn't. They aren't even unique.

In many places embryos are offorded rights, and regardless, just because something is done in a certain way doesn't mean that it should be. Unique? You'd have to clarify, would a clone therefore not be afforded rights?

Mr.K

I lolled at this. No robots do not have rights.