• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do Someone's Beliefs Reflect on their Character?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
This is a question implicit in many debates, but I really only see people assume one way or the other.

Should we judge people's character by their beliefs? Do we keep on coexisting and finding a way to be friends despite religious and political party lines, or should some beliefs be deal-breakers and cause us to fight for what we believe in? Or is there a middle ground?

Do someone's beliefs reflect on their character?

ele

=p
Yes beliefs do somewhat show your character. If you believe in them most likely you relate to them.

You know, I think it really depends. There are some subjects that are almost too emotionally charged for some people to be able to disagree on and still be friends.

almost

There are issues for me like abortion that are just so incredibly emotionally loaded that I have great difficulty looking my opponent in the eye (irl). But, in the same breath, some of those who I so strongly disagree with are friends and family, even on issues so important to me like abortion and salvation.

Some things are very hard to disagree on and still maintain friendly relationships, but I think that if you have sufficient motivation, you can. It's often hard to detach what someone believes from that person's inherent worth. I hate, hate, HATE the pro-abortion movement. But my Father and Stepmother in law are some of the most liberal people you'll meet, and they support a woman's right to abort her child. Even though I hate the issue so strongly, I still love both of them, and don't connect those strong emotions that I have for the issue with them in particular.

I think it's possible and often necessary.

Last edited:

ladendar

Little munchkinz
Would you befriend someone who believes killing people is like an offering to their gods? Such as a member of the Aztecs...

KiraRebornXD

If you mean ideals than yes they do but in terms of some opinions that is from the parents or in other words how they were raised yep.

Chris-kun

i still believe
I think one's beliefs shape one's personality. What you believe in, who you believe in, how you believe in it, they're all factors that overall determine what kind of person you are and how you treat others. Beliefs and character are two inseparable sides to the same coin. It doesn't mean you can't be friends with someone, provided that you have a mutual understanding to disagree and that the subject isn't part of your discussions together.

Would you befriend someone who believes killing people is like an offering to their gods? Such as a member of the Aztecs...

First of all, that doesn't happen anymore. Second of all, the Aztecs no longer exist. Did you flunk out of history or something?

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
This is a question implicit in many debates, but I really only see people assume one way or the other.

Should we judge people's character by their beliefs? Do we keep on coexisting and finding a way to be friends despite religious and political party lines, or should some beliefs be deal-breakers and cause us to fight for what we believe in? Or is there a middle ground?

I don't believe anyone's beliefs reflect on their character naturally. That being said, however, there are some people who do this, regardless, and refuse to take anything you say seriously based solely on your religion. They accuse you of being just as horrible as the worst people who have ever shared your beliefs. Not to name names, *cough cough*The Red Thunder*cough cough* but these people are completely irrational jerks.

There are some people who do let their religion dominate their thinking though, and I strongly disagree with that.

Overall, we shouldn't judge anyone by their religion or their political party. It's not right to be so prejudiced against people when you have no idea what they're truly like.

Last edited:

ladendar

Little munchkinz
I think one's beliefs shape one's personality. What you believe in, who you believe in, how you believe in it, they're all factors that overall determine what kind of person you are and how you treat others. Beliefs and character are two inseparable sides to the same coin. It doesn't mean you can't be friends with someone, provided that you have a mutual understanding to disagree and that the subject isn't part of your discussions together.

First of all, that doesn't happen anymore. Second of all, the Aztecs no longer exist. Did you flunk out of history or something?

No. I know the Aztects don't exist anymore. Have you never heard the word: Example before? >=P

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I think people are born into religions. character has nothing to do with it.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Hm I have actually been in the same mindset of late, well ever since I joined a Christian church two years ago and really started making friends in the last year. Of course some of my beliefs and things I stand for such as homosexuality could become a conflict with those friendships (I only know one Christian right now who isn't really pro or anti gay, she's a good friend of mine), I don't want it to be and I hope I can continue coexisting and building a friendship with these people like you said. (Or even a romantic interest with some in particular).

I don't really know what their stance on that topic is though, and like someone said, sort of it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. Obviously there is such thing as too far with things like homosexuality. You got an opinion fine I will try to respect that much as I can (Although I think one can argue before anyone says anything, a debate forum is a completely different thing) but if you think bashing them as in actually causing physical harm to them (Or emotional) or think killing them is a good thing then that friendship would be over. And that's just one topic that I stand for.

Regardless there will be many conflicts that may arise or maybe one never will. I do like to think we can all just get along or aleast hope one day the world just stops kicking each other for their mere opinions and just.. be in peace.

ChedWick

I'm a little limited atm but ill chim in. I know some great people with some very questionable beliefs. I'm sure it can but most of the time id say only a small portion of a persons character can really be assessed by their beliefs.

Quagsireking

I am the king!
They do very much so. Take for example if a person cares only for themselves, then that person is bound to be a very cold individual towards other people

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Yes beliefs do somewhat show your character. If you believe in them most likely you relate to them.
Well I don't believe in god, but I do believe in the golden rule and the glamorized principle of chivalry. So how would you judge/relate to me.

Yes... so long as I wasn't on the offering table.

Jehovah's witnesses. 'Nuff said.
Not really, I used to think this of the Jehovah's, then I ended up working with a couple and sat down and talked to them. though I didn't believe there religion was the right one for me, we were friends after our conversation.

In the end being Christian does not define the person. I know many Christians who are hypocrites and many that inspire me. It isn't the belief that defines the person its the person who define the belief.

Your beliefs form your character. For the most past they compliment each other and are pretty much inseparable.

Last edited:

legendarypokemonmaster

Yes, your beliefs reflect on your character, but I would also say that your reasoning for believing in them also can reflect on your character. As for tolerating one another's beliefs, I believe that it is usually possible. If you are a loudmouth about your beliefs and intolerant and disrespectful towards others who do not share your beliefs, then that will make it difficult to coexist with others peacefully. However, I think that conflicts in beliefs should only cause conflict in extreme cases(something like trying to justify a murder). Although, it really depends on how you treat others and articulate your beliefs.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Hmm, interesting, very interesting. On the one hand, two people could make a silent pact to never raise the subject in each other's hearing or just agree to disagree. On the other hand, ideology forms a large part of one's behaviour. I wouldn't be with someone who was an atheist/ religious fanatic or someone who believed in conspiracy theories.

Ultimately, it's cliche, but it really depends on the person and the topic.

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
Yes, your beliefs reflect on your character, but I would also say that your reasoning for believing in them also can reflect on your character. As for tolerating one another's beliefs, I believe that it is usually possible. If you are a loudmouth about your beliefs and intolerant and disrespectful towards others who do not share your beliefs, then that will make it difficult to coexist with others peacefully. However, I think that conflicts in beliefs should only cause conflict in extreme cases(something like trying to justify a murder). Although, it really depends on how you treat others and articulate your beliefs.

You said it all.

I was a Christian (am now agnostic) long enough to know that your policies were "Love the sinner and hate the sin." (On that note, can't we all learn to not personally insult trolls but ignore them and realize "Wait. Maybe they've never been on a forum before.) and "Only God can judge people and humans have no right to do so."

I like the first philosophy but can't agree with the second one. Obviously you shouldn't come up with your entire sentiment torwards another person based on your first meeting, but you certainly can judge them. But going along with that, you can't see that they're a fan of 2 and a half men and assume "Well this guy must be completely retarded." You can't see that they like Taylor Swift and assume "This guy must be completely soft and have no spine." The same goes for beleifs. You can't see a cross as one's necklace and go "Looks like they are an ignorant, narrow minded fool." And you can't look at an atheist and say "(S)he must have no imagination, faith, or hope, therfore their life is empty and they have no reason to live." I'd like to say that I have great respect for anybody who keeps their beliefs and honors them no matter what anybody says.

P.S. You can't look at a Muslim at an airport and say "O ****!" *Trying to be funny.*

Last edited:

We should judge their character by their expressly stated beliefs, and by how those beliefs relate to their actions. If someone says they hate a certain group of people, then that is something that should be considered. If the people believe in deceiving the populace or exterminating a given ethnic group, that would be bad. They should be judged accordingly, though if they only think these things and never act on them, that is entirely different than committing hate crimes or public deception.

Additionally, no one should be judged by the beliefs belonging to a group to which they seem to belong. For example, I may think this thread is a disguised gay rights thread, but if I can't prove it, it shouldn't form part of my judgment of the thread or poster.

(And yes, that last part was intentionally humorous.)