• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do the 'English Dub' 2005-Present voice actor still bother you?

How do you feel?

• I don't care about the voices

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I miss the old voices

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I like the new voices

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I missed them at first but adjusted to the change

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Not the color
I have been keeping up with the XY/XY&Z series better than any series since Advanced when I was completely butt hurt they changed the voice actors and got rid of Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and the rest of the original cast.

Looking at the series now I must say I like Ash's current voice and it fits a more mature Ash and with Jessie and James' voices being so similar it feels like the series is actually progressing. I do remember Ash'a voice being changed a few times in the original series as well.

10+ years later do you watch the English dub and do you still miss the original voices, can you not stand them, or are you indifferent?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
If people haven't adjusted to most of the mainstay voices after a decade, then I don't what to tell them.

Granted they're some actors/actresses for the minor characters and rivals I really do not like (Sawyer), but otherwise I'm fine with what we have.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It's really a hit or miss for the TPCi. Sawyer's voice grates on you and Lisa Ortiz really is a hit or miss.

mac6288

its not so much the way the new voice actors sound, its how they emphasize difrent parts of words that bothers me the most. T got used to them by the time i finished watching the Sinnoh league, but to me the emphasis on words can make or break a serious or comedic moment.

DatsRight

While I prefer most of the originals, it's easy to get used to the current ones given how long it's been since the change.

Most of my problems stem more from either the dialogue they're made to churn out or the less enthusiastic acting.

Ash's actress tends to get the worst of both. While Taylor couldn't match Matsumoto's sheer emotion either, she at least put her own quirks and life into it. But Natochenny just sounds so bad after listening to the Japanese episodes.

They need a director that can coach proper emotion out of these guys, then maybe we can hear their full potential.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
They need a director that can coach proper emotion out of these guys, then maybe we can hear their full potential.

It would probably help if the director said "Take Two." I feel like they're doing this in one swoop.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
It has been over a decade. If anyone is actually still legitimately hung up over this then I have no idea what to tell you.

EvanUn0

Even though I watched Kanto-Hoenn as a kid, I started to take the anime more seriously when the voice change happened. Even though it was jarring and confusing at first, I've definitely gotten used to it. In fact there are times where I prefer it to the original voices. If you don't like it, I totally understand, but if you're still fighting to get the old voices back/are attacking others for liking TPCi... I dunno what to say. =P Also, I dunno. I know that Sawyer's dub voice kinda has the intent to be grating, but I find it cute.

Alola Adventurer

I still prefer Veronica Taylor, but I've enjoyed Sarah Natochenny as Ash since late DP apart from Season 17-18 where she was hit or miss, imo.
I just wish she would be a little more enthusiastic/energetic as Ash, but I think she's been doing a decent job in Season 19.

Aside from Carter Cathcart ranging from tolerable to bad as Meowth, and I still think Michele Knotz is downright bad as Jessie, everyone else is fine.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wasn't really bothered much by the voice change and the current vas really improved since then imo. Jessie's new voice still bothers me though.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
It wouldn't be a problem if the new voice actors weren't certifiably awful. Sarah Natochenny is just not a good voice actress--her Ash sounds so vanilla and dull. James sounds like he has a pinecone up his nose. Mouth and Jessie are alright I suppose, but what really ruined Team Rocket as a whole was not the voice acting but rather the scripting done by TPCI. All the rhyming dialogue changes are so pathetically unfunny that it becomes cringeworthy to a point. I think Clemont and Bonnie have excellent VAs, and Serena's is decent. lately TPCI has done a much better job at find solid VAs, but Ash and James are still dismal and it stinks to see that they have stuck around for so long.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I rarely watch the English dub, but from what I recall I liked all the PUSA voices, except Nyasu's. He just sounds hoarse and elderly.

Lunala

Banned
Dislike both dubs but since it's been so long I'm used to them

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I like both voice casts equally, though I do think Veronica had an edge over Sarah for Ash, and Meowth's current voice actor is better than Maddie was in her last two seasons. Sarah Notchenny has improved a great deal IMO with Ash.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I adapted to the change quite quickly still only finding Max's new one annoying to this day when I rewatch AG. I don't know who they found but the dub voices for Sawyer, Alain, and Lysandre are awful

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I didn't mind the TPCi voices. Sarah Natochenny's Ash voice actually makes him feel more mature to me, and I do think James and Meowth being voiced by Jimmy Zoppi felt like a slight improvement. There are still some voices that suck, such as Sawyer and Ash's Talonflame.

Status
Not open for further replies.