• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Games Take Place In A Different World From The Main Games, Or Is It In The Same World But In The Far Future?

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

I was wondering about this for a long time. Do the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Games take place in a different world from the main games, where the player is a human who is sent to the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon world or do they take place in the far future, where humans became extinct and only Pokémon are left in the world. I would like to know for sure which one it is. Thanks in advance.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Uh, they never specify, but they clearly take place in their own universe. Also, humans do exist in some capacity.

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

Uh, they never specify, but they clearly take place in their own universe. Also, humans do exist in some capacity.
Ok, thanks for the reply. You are right about these games taking place in a different world. I just remembered about the player in Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky. If these games took place in the far future where humans became extinct, how is it possible for the player to be a human from further into the future?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It almost certainly doesn't take place in the same world (probably not even the same universe) as the main series games. With OR/AS all but confirming that multiverse theory is valid in the Pokemon world, it's likely that PMD takes place in one of these alternate universes.

As for other humans in PMD's world, despite there being a few confirmed cases outside of the player characters such as Gengar from PMD1 having originally been a human, the Voice of Life as Hydreigon claims in GtI that the long-term presence of a human in the Pokemon world will cause spatiotemporal distortion (which was already mentioned in PMD2, where Cresselia confirms that the player does indeed cause a minor spatiotemporal distortion, but that it doesn't expand on its own). This implies that humans are not native to the PMD world. However, it's also contradicted by other things within the PMD game; not least of which is that the player does return in GtI without imploding the universe or whatever, with Hydreigon kind of hand-waving that away as the player overcoming laws of nature through sheer willpower or something. It also contradicts what we were told in PMD2; that, while it is true that the player causes a distortion, that distortion isn't dangerous on its own.

The short answer is it's never really explained and a lot of the information we are given contradicts itself. Personally, I think it's interesting to note that every human character we know of, including Gengar, ends up becoming a Pokemon at some point in time. Maybe the presence of an actual human does cause issues in the Pokemon world, but it corrects for that by transforming them into a Pokemon when an opportunity arises, which prevents the distortion they create from expanding any further. That doesn't really explain what Hydreigon says in Gates, but I like to pretend Gates was all just a bad fever dream anyways.

Humans exist but they are never shown except for the main character of Red and Blue rescue team but they're in Pokemon form of course.