• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do the regions feel different in 3D compared to 2D?

WaterTypeStarter

Given both Hoenn and Kanto, originally both 2D in Gen 3 and Kanto back in Gen 1 and 2, and later in Gen 4, have been remade in 3D with both ORAS and LGPE respectively, how does the feel of the regions differ playing in 3D from 2D? Would you want Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova in 3D?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, the only draw of LGPE was the graphics and some gimmicks like the partner interaction, riding pokémon and overworld spawns. Other than that, I like FRLG more.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The 3D regions feel much smaller, although that's probably because of the change in scale. As much as I liked OR/AS, I preferred how Houen was depicted in Gen III as opposed to Gen VI.

Nyter

Island Challenger
The 3D regions feel much smaller, although that's probably because of the change in scale. As much as I liked OR/AS, I preferred how Houen was depicted in Gen III as opposed to Gen VI.
Nothing like experiencing Hoenn on R/S/E for the first time. I love how hidden some area were like the deepest part of Meteor Falls.

Although OR/AS did amazingly with the secret bases. I wish that was implemented in the latest games.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It feels smaller wih Alola and Galar (doesnt just feel, it really is ..), but Kalos felt big for me

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
It feels smaller wih Alola and Galar (doesnt just feel, it really is ..), but Kalos felt big for me
Personally, I think Alola (four islands) and Galar (Wild Area and two DLC) were both larger than Kalos. Kalos was nice, but it felt pretty small compared to the other two. Maybe it’s just graphics, I’m not sure.

janejane6178

Personally, I think Alola (four islands) and Galar (Wild Area and two DLC) were both larger than Kalos. Kalos was nice, but it felt pretty small compared to the other two. Maybe it’s just graphics, I’m not sure.
Kalos felt smaller than Alola to u? I guess its really subjective. While it is true there were 4 islands, the last ones were small in my opinion. also, Kalos had many town and cities

About Galar, it is true that it might e bigger including the DLC's wild areas. but they just feel pointless to me cuz they are just big empty areas without any trainers or stuff like that. But I guess its subjective

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Personally I enjoy the simpler design and layout of the regions in 2D during Generations 2-5. I found the scale of these regions to be perfect in the sense of being comforting and memorable. Some of my favorite moments would have to be crossing Skyarrow Bridge and exploring Castelia City for the first time. The dynamic change in camera angles and seeing NPC's go about their day made the place feel lively.

In regards to the regions in 3D I feel like Hoenn (ORAS), Kalos, and Galar aren't as memorable due to not much happening in most locations. Lumiose City is large but it feels empty most of the time and the 3D camera controls make it diffictult to properly explore. I think Alola actually benefits the most from being an archipelago of smaller islands compared to a region based on a continent. Being on a island means they have less space to work with and to figure out the best placement for everything.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kalos felt smaller than Alola to u? I guess its really subjective. While it is true there were 4 islands, the last ones were small in my opinion. also, Kalos had many town and cities
3D Kanto is much better looking than 2D Kanto but only slightly. 3D Hoenn beats 2D Hoenn completely even if I'm mad about the lack of BF in ORAS.
3d hoenn was beautiful. It was so colorful

WaterTypeStarter

Personally I enjoy the simpler design and layout of the regions in 2D during Generations 2-5. I found the scale of these regions to be perfect in the sense of being comforting and memorable. Some of my favorite moments would have to be crossing Skyarrow Bridge and exploring Castelia City for the first time. The dynamic change in camera angles and seeing NPC's go about their day made the place feel lively.

In regards to the regions in 3D I feel like Hoenn (ORAS), Kalos, and Galar aren't as memorable due to not much happening in most locations. Lumiose City is large but it feels empty most of the time and the 3D camera controls make it diffictult to properly explore. I think Alola actually benefits the most from being an archipelago of smaller islands compared to a region based on a continent. Being on a island means they have less space to work with and to figure out the best placement for everything.
How about Kanto in 3D? Compared to its 2D Gen 1-4 forms?

Xuxuba

About Galar, it is true that it might e bigger including the DLC's wild areas. but they just feel pointless to me cuz they are just big empty areas without any trainers or stuff like that. But I guess its subjective
Kalos had dungeons and buildings with a lot more to explore.
The routes felt much larger aswell.

Both Galar and Alola had lackluster buildings. Alola had better routes than Galar, but that is not to say they were great either. Most of them were just a bunch of stretched out empty corridors that the developers put there just for you to dash through with your Tauros ride.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
How about Kanto in 3D? Compared to its 2D Gen 1-4 forms?
Let’s Go’s Kanto actually worked well for me in 3D, better than Kalos and ORAS’ Hoenn. I think the reason why has primarily to do with art style.

I wouldn’t necessarily call the Let’s Go style “chibi” in the traditional sense, but the human characters’ proportions were exaggerated in a similar way to Gen 6’s overworld models, and retained those proportions throughout. The Switch’s graphical capabilities over the 3DS probably contributed as well.

Meanwhile in Kalos and Hoenn, characters went back and forth between looking like dolls or playing pieces on the overworld and having realistic proportions if they were still in 3D for the battles. Tierno and Trevor’s battle models were particularly jarring, and May’s overworld model had its own issues with creepiness.

The proportion issues carry over to ORAS with the overworld also, making things feel more cramped in 3D than they were in 2D to me. But I don’t want my admitted bias against ORAS to get in the way because there is one particular spot where Hoenn feels gloriously big in these games: soaring. That feeling of being in the air overlooking the continent was amazing and I so wish we had that in other games.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that 3D improves the graphics of locations as it gives us both a more realistic depth and also how big each town or city actually is. Petalburg City felt a bit too small originally as did Mauville but in 3D, their locations’ full potential really shone.

Orphalesion

I think one factor why Alola felt small was because it was portioned off into four islands. So it was like four mini regions connected together, which then were difficult to see as one large whole.
(At least to me)

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I think that 3D improves the graphics of locations as it gives us both a more realistic depth and also how big each town or city actually is. Petalburg City felt a bit too small originally as did Mauville but in 3D, their locations’ full potential really shone.
I'll have to check again because I was remembering 3D Hoenn as more cramped similar to Leonhart's original post, specifically for a place like Lavaridge Town where I would always save my game while lounging in the hot spring.

I absolutely love what ORAS did to Mauville city though - it echoes an idea I had back in gen 3 about a whole town being in one giant building :)