1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do the running gags pre-SM feel forced?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Pokegirl Fan~, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Fiery Princess of Mars

Do running gags before the SM series feel forced? (Examples: Brock's asking out girls gag, Bonnie's finding Clemont a wife gag, Pikachu frying the main female companion's bike gag, etc.)

I feel like they are forced and also they become quite stale pretty fast and are annoying to watch whenever they come up, which could be in almost every single episode like Brock's gag.

What are your thoughts?

SinnohEevee likes this.
  2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

I don't like it, I prefer a bit of unpredictability and variation. Sun and Moon has the least of it, apart from maybe Rowlet falling while sleeping. Brock's gag was honestly the worst, I truly hate it. It's not even remotely funny, it's just creepy and disturbing. I also think a lot of those jokes pretty much block personal development for the characters involved because they're just stuck in the same repeating gag over and over again.

SinnohEevee and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Brock's certainly wasn't. It never got stale, in fact Croagunk improved the gag! We're owed a Misty/Croagunk team up!
    Jigglypuff rarely showed up enough to get stale, it only got dumb when they brought her back in SM

Bonnie's however was forced, especially when they made a big deal about her actually losing her brother...... and then she tries to marry him off once that's dealt with rather than giving her actual development. Clemont's inventions blowing up wasn't funny either. Rowlet's sleeping gag got annoying real fast too.

Henry's Journey likes this.
  4. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

I sadly have to say yes. Those old running gags really felt forced and very predictable after a while. Especially Brock's running gag. Every time a young, attractive women would show up, I knew that Brock will fall in love with her.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Pokegirl Fan~ and KenzeyEevee like this.
  5. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

Yeah it was and most of the time, the gags weren't funny and if they were they got tiresome overtime (Brock's falling in love with every girl he sees, the ear pulling). The traditional gags were more acceptable, a bit amusing but very forced. They have better success with their natural humor like the Ash is dumb gag or him trying to catch a Dunsparce.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  6. KenzeyEevee

KenzeyEevee The Realistic male Eevee

God those faces and the puns from Samson Oak I HATE IT! And most of those jokes arent funny! But the Brock thing felt never forced, Bonnie didnt either. I think if they dont focus on comedy and just sometimes put a joke per episode it will be funny.

Litleonid likes this.
  7. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's the joke. No one likes them.

The humor comes from how terrible they are.

8. KenzeyEevee

I know. I find it so stupid. Focussing on humor doesnt fit pokémon.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  9. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 The Meltanzord

Most of the main cast's running gags were definitely forced. Brock's falling in love with every girl he saw before he receives an ear pulling or Poison Jab, Bonnie trying to find a girl for Clemont and Clemont's machines exploding have to be the perfect examples. Gags generally felt way less forced when Pokemon were the main focus there. Some examples are Misty's Psyduck which was just amusing because of Misty's short-tempered attitude during Kanto, Charizard burning Ash as a sign of affection or him failing to catch Dunsparce every time he encountered one. But overall if I had to say which kind of human characters had gags which didn't feel forced I would give it to recurring characters rather than the main cast like Conway's who appeared out of nowhere startling Dawn or Butch and Dr. Namba having their names mistaken and even having the latter breaking the 4th wall too.

Are you being serious? Comedy was always an integral part of the Pokemon Anime since day one so it's only natural of it getting focus.

10. KenzeyEevee

I mean that humor is ok in pokémon but it shouldnt be the focus of a series

11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Pikachu is stronger than Ash-Greninja.

Well, the bike thing only happened once a region, so no. Brock's thing was really the only character he had going for him for a while and Bonnie was just a reversal of that, though it could get irritating at times, but I never really minded either.

12. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

A problem with a lot of the running gags is that they started to become the bulk of what the characters did the whole series. Brock got cock-blocked for most of DP over doing anything useful, Misty pulled his ear or dealt with Psyduck throughout Johto, Team Rocket's schemes slowly devolved into just getting curb stomped and blasting off in interchangeable ways, James getting glomped by one of his Pokemon, etc, etc. I feel like some might have flown better if they weren't ALL we were getting.

Also many times the anime isn't good at variations. Generally a good formula can still keep lasting appeal because despite still having the same premise, HOW it is setup always changes. Bewear is a good example, it hijacks TR every episode, but how and when it's done is always a mystery and gets increasingly ludicrous and funny. But a lot of the anime's gags are just played the exact same way, to the point a lot of episodes just kinda merge together.

Not that SM isn't guilty of this either. Steenee barely does anything but the Rowlet smacking gag that seldom alters in use.

13. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Any running gags before SM was fine and don't cross line (almost). Even humour from OS have balance with that.

14. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Most of the gags do feel contrived such as Takeshi's, but that's not exclusive to older sagas, however. If anything, SM's gags feel the most forced to me due to how inexplicable some of them are, such as the Kiteruguma gag.

15. i actually have no idea what you're trying to say. it's okay for the show to focus on humor but also it's not?

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  16. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Not the biggest fan of the Steenee/Rowett gag if we’re being honest.

LilligantLewis and KenzeyEevee like this.
  17. KenzeyEevee

Who is? It feels forced and it isnt even funny. I never laughed with any jokes in SM yet.

18. KenzeyEevee

Sorry if I was unclear. I mean that if you have a combination between a good plot and humor that is ok. But not if they make episodes that more focused on the humor then the plot.

19. Henry's Journey

Henry's Journey Well-Known Member

No, no at all. All of what you mentioned in your post was fine, I never got tired of Brock's antics. SM's gags are good as well.

I don't understand the need to bash anything pre-SM, that's something I have noticed lately on this site, I like SM a lot but this is getting annoying.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  20. It's because SM gets bashed all the time so some of us want to point out ways in which the anime improved with SM. There's gotta be some balance here :I

I still disagree with OP though, I have mixed opinions on the old running gags, liked a lot of them, disliked some.