• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do U Think Paul Can Beat Ash with all his best pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I do think that Ash would use his Sinnoh team against Paul in the future, I always wonder which of Ash's old pokemon would put up an awesome fight against Paul's team. So taking Paul's main team that he used against Ash on the 6 vs. 6 battle and taking 6 of Ash's old pokemon...here's what I was thinking:

Pikachu vs. Honchkrow
Obviously an advantage for Pikachu. Most of Honchkrow's moves are pretty straightforward. Night Slash and Sky Attack are physical attacks that Pikachu can either dodge or combat with Iron Tail. And iirc, it knows Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse as well which again, Pikachu can handle. Then we have Pikachu's Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle that can knock Honchkrow out. Honchkrow's strong but Pikachu, especially at its best, is stronger imo.

Charizard vs. Torterra
Type wise, Charizard has an advantage. It just needs to worry about Stone Edge. However we've seen it face many opponents before and Charizard's experience, training, and strength would for sure overcome one attack from Torterra. Charizard also has a pleathora of attacks that it could use against Torterra so Ash could definitely use Charizard's many attacks for some awesome combinations to win against Torterra. There's the fact that Charizard as an aerial battler and so Torterra is going to have a hard time trying to keep up with Charizard since it's so stagnant while Charizard is up in the air. Charizard is definitely Ash's pokemon to use against Paul if Ash were to use old pokemon.

Donphan vs. Electabuzz
Electabuzz is seen as one of Paul's strongest but yet, it's probably no match for Ash's Donphan. Its electric attacks won't have much affect against Donphan and Donphan's got the defense the handle its Brick Break. Light Screen is known for throwing Ash off guard but it only protects Paul's pokemon from special attacks and other than Hidden Power and Hyper Beam, Donphan's attacks are physical. And Electabuzz can't use Protect too much either. And while Donphan doesn't have a ground move, it has hard hitting moves and strength that can overcome Electabuzz. Not to mention, if the writers weren't so paranoid about Earthquake, Donphan could definitely be the pokemon able to take down Electabuzz.

Snorlax vs. Ursaring
Both pokemon have shown to take a lot of hits before falling, both are normal types, but Snorlax could win against Ursaring for sure. Sure Ursaring has fighting moves but Snorlax faced both of Greta's fighting type pokemon and beat them. Snorlax has great defences, knowing Protect and being able to use Rest. At the same time, it's pretty strong with Ice Punch, Body Slam, Headbutt, etc. Ursaring would have a hard time taking Snorlax down.

Sceptile vs. Weavile
Leaf Blade vs. Metal Claw basically. While Weavile has ice moves that could hurt Sceptile, Sceptile has proven that it has a fighter's spirit and I'm sure it won't go down that easily against Weavile's ice attacks. Then there's the physical combat where I think Sceptile dominates. With Leaf Blade and Slam, Weavile is not going to fare well against Sceptile's toughness. Sceptile also has some strong special moves as well that could throw Weavile off guard. Finally, Weavile is probably Paul's weakest pokemon, Sceptile wouldn't go down easily from it.

Swellow vs. Magmortar
Swellow would actually benefit from being burned by Magmortar. Swellow definitely has the guts to overcome its weaknesses and because of its ability, Magmortar's burn would only make Swellow. If Swellow would learn Facade, the combination would be pretty powerful. And although Magmortar has Rock Tomb, iirc it only produces rocks on the ground so Swellow shouldn't worry about that since it's an aerial battler. If Rock Tomb were to strike in the air, Swellow does have its speed and Double Team to get out of trouble. What Swellow has is speed, coupled with guts and strength too. It's a contender against Paul and can use its ability to its full potential against Magmortar. And while it's true that Swellow can't stay in a battle for too long with a burn condition, we know that it doesn't go down easily at all and it definitely has the stamina to hold it out.

The 6 vs. 6 battle against Paul showed a couple of things that definitely led to Ash's downfall besides Paul's pokemon's strength. Ash had pokemon who were inflicted with status conditions. Electabuzz's electric moves and Magmortar's Flame Body. However, if Ash uses Donphan and Swellow respectively, these status conditions wouldn't occur (or for Swellow's case would actually benefit it to an extent). Then there's Ursaring's guts which if Ursaring is faced against a pokemon that can also take a lot of damage such as Snorlax, it wouldn't be able to win as easily as it did before. Light Screen can definitely be combated by physical moves which Swellow, Sceptile, Donphan, and Snorlax excel at. And considering that Charizard's ace move is usually Seismic Toss, Light Screen won't be a big problem. Finally, Paul's switching was a problem. Ash has to pair pokemon up to face Paul and switch back. If this battle were to occur,

Pikachu, as well as all of Ash's other pokemon can probably handle Weavile.
Charizard can also handle Ursaring, Honchkrow, and Magmortar.
Sceptile can probably handle Ursaring, Electabuzz, and Torterra.
Donphan can probably take Ursaring, Honchkrow, and Magmortar.
Swellow can actually go up against Electabuzz, Ursaring, Torterra and Honchkrow.
Snorlax can go up against Electabuzz, Honchkrow, Magmortar, and Torterra as well.

So to me, Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Donphan, Swellow, and Snorlax are probably pokemon that are suited to go against Paul and win.

However, this battle is pretty much fantasy at this point lol. I mean imo, while this battle would be cool, Ash is most likely going to use his Sinnoh team to face Paul for storyline purposes. But hey, it's fun thinking about it.

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
well considering paul defeated pikachu, I dont really know, im sure if ash battled well he could beat paul with his old pokemon but the only ones that i think could do some serious damage to paul is charizard and sceptile

Torpoleon

well considering paul defeated pikachu, I dont really know, im sure if ash battled well he could beat paul with his old pokemon but the only ones that i think could do some serious damage to paul is charizard and sceptile
Well remember, at the full battle, Ash did not do too great in terms of strategies. Ursaring had used Bulk Up to increase its attacks and its attacks were doubled because of Guts. Pikachu also took a lot of damage because of Flame Body too.

Soberheartless

Well remember, at the full battle, Ash did not do too great in terms of strategies. Ursaring had used Bulk Up to increase its attacks and its attacks were doubled because of Guts. Pikachu also took a lot of damage because of Flame Body too.

I agree with you 100%, Torpoleon. Ash probably could win if he used correct strategy. For example, in my Platinum version, i play with Ash's team. All my pokemon are lv. 70, by the way, except for my newly caught Gible who is Lv.30. If i battled Paul's team with the player having only moves with 5 pp, and low accuracy, i would win. Ash needs to learn some moves more like Thunder, Water, and FLame Armor, like against Fantina.

Torpoleon

I agree with you 100%, Torpoleon. Ash probably could win if he used correct strategy. For example, in my Platinum version, i play with Ash's team. All my pokemon are lv. 70, by the way, except for my newly caught Gible who is Lv.30. If i battled Paul's team with the player having only moves with 5 pp, and low accuracy, i would win. Ash needs to learn some moves more like Thunder, Water, and FLame Armor, like against Fantina.
You shouldn't compare the anime to the games. You can't do Counter Shield in the games.

Definitley Ash can beat Paul with his best Pokémon though.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid

He lost because he used too much force, not brain. with his old pokemon, like Bulbasaur and Squirtle, he always used the brain, with a great tactic of course.

Torpoleon

He lost because he used too much force, not brain. with his old pokemon, like Bulbasaur and Squirtle, he always used the brain, with a great tactic of course.
Well even if Ash did use "brain" with his strong Pokémon, he probably still would have lost, but would have gotten close to winning.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Well even if Ash did use "brain" with his strong Pokémon, he probably still would have lost, but would have gotten close to winning.

No, with Bulbasaur and Squitle he was stronger because he has special connection. and with Charizard also. sometimes Ash don't thinking and uses too much power. he need to be more smart as he was with his older pokemon.

Soberheartless

Ash just needs to focus. If he uses his Sinnoh team, and they were all in their last evolutions, and Paul's team in their last evolutions (in the 6 on 6 battle), Ash could win if he used strategy. He did use a little bit of strategy against Paul, like how Torterra couldn't move so Gliscor has a chance to keep attacking, or using Staraptor's speed to a full effect. Is there any chance that Gible, if it were a Garchomp, be able to wipe out Paul's team, like how Cynthia's did earlier in the series?

I think that Paul would still do a lot of damage to Ash's team, though I couldn't tell if he'd win or not.

Including Pikachu in Ash's list of "strongest Pokémon" doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps I'm being biased, but it's hard to see an unevolved Pokémon in that category. Plus, Pikachu doesn't really shine as much as his fancy Volt Tackle. I think that's the only thing that gives him credit. That, and the stone cold fact that he was Ash's starter. What about Bulbasaur and Squirtle? They're just as powerful as Pikachu.

I don't think Sceptile and would do well against Paul's Pokémon, but the writers can easily edit that if they so please (they do dish out a lot of miracle victories to Ash's teams).

Out of all of Ash's "powerhouses" I think Swellow and Charizard stand the best chance against any of Paul's Pokémon.

Is there any chance that Gible, if it were a Garchomp, be able to wipe out Paul's team, like how Cynthia's did earlier in the series?
Don't forget, that would be Ash's Garchomp you're talking about. I wouldn't put money on it.

I'll always root for Paul.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

I think that Paul would still do a lot of damage to Ash's team, though I couldn't tell if he'd win or not.

Including Pikachu in Ash's list of "strongest Pokémon" doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps I'm being biased, but it's hard to see an unevolved Pokémon in that category. Plus, Pikachu doesn't really shine as much as his fancy Volt Tackle. I think that's the only thing that gives him credit. That, and the stone cold fact that he was Ash's starter. What about Bulbasaur and Squirtle? They're just as powerful as Pikachu.

I don't think Sceptile and would do well against Paul's Pokémon, but the writers can easily edit that if they so please (they do dish out a lot of miracle victories to Ash's teams).

Out of all of Ash's "powerhouses" I think Swellow and Charizard stand the best chance against any of Paul's Pokémon.

I'll always root for Paul.
Well of course Paul's best Pokémon would still do a lot of damage on Ash's best Pokémon, although I think that Ash would still win.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Who knows Gible could be another Glalie and evolve soon then evolve again during the pokemon league. "shrugs" who knows...........

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Who knows Gible could be another Glalie and evolve soon then evolve again during the pokemon league. "shrugs" who knows...........

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil

Soberheartless

ASH has to win! He has to win eventually sooner or later, because what is the point of making an unbeatable rival? IMO it would be kinda sweet to see Ash take a harsh loss at the League. There would be a lot of training and going over his strategies and stuff. I think it would be cool if eventually Ash's Monferno became Infernape and washed Torterra, Magmortar, and soon to be Electivire. His other strong pokemon such as Swellow, Charizard, and Snorlaz can handle the rest.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid

But Glalie evolve during the GF. so Gible should evolve at least untill there, or maybe in the 8th gym battle, vs Volkner, if Ash will use it there.

Torpoleon

But Glalie evolve during the GF. so Gible should evolve at least untill there, or maybe in the 8th gym battle, vs Volkner, if Ash will use it there.
Gibles take time to evolve. Besides, what if Ash never uses Gible again until the 8th Gym and it does not defeat any of Volkner's Pokémon? Then do you think Gible can evolve during the Grand Festival?

JD

Maybe, Dont forget Paul has been Traveling Just as long as Ash has and Probably has powerhouses and Reserves just strong as Ash's reserves.And also Paul Has strategy and would think of away to take out Ash's reserves but thats just my opinion it could go either way.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Paul did not go to the Orange Islands and the Kanto Battle Frontier so Ash has been traveling longer than he has. Paul has only competed in the Indigo Conference, Silver Conference, and Ever Grande Conference.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Paul did not go to the Orange Islands and the Kanto Battle Frontier so Ash has been traveling longer than he has. Paul has only competed in the Indigo Conference, Silver Conference, and Ever Grande Conference.

Doesn't really matter. At a certain point experience doesn't make a difference. Even if Ash did the Orange Islands and BF and Paul didn't that little experience won't save him if Paul trains his Pokemon better then Ash does.

Status
Not open for further replies.