• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do we have the technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Anyone remember "Hey You, Pikachu!" for the N64?
What if they made a game for the Wii, that was like it?
The maincontroller is a headset, you pick 6 Pokemon and battle
people. The gimmick is that you verbally give the commands, you tell it
when, how, when, where to launch attacks etc. You can give commands
like circle behind, hold him, or get on their back. Basically it lets you battle
like in the anime, and you'll loose if you can't react.

Just a thought, so are we advanced enough to make
something like this now? You no, and actually have it...work?

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Huh. It would be interesting, and I do think a game like this is technically possible, but the amount of animation that would need to be produced for something like that is obscene, at least for your "hold it" "get on its back" etc. commands. I imagine a game like this would be very simple to start off with. I'd play it, sure, but be wary at the same time of its limitations, especially at being the first Pokemon game of its kind.

jaxonferz

this would be a cool game for sure but it would for sure be incredibly hard. you would have to speak as clear as possible for you command to be reconized by the computer. have you ever been on the phone were it says "to speak to ____ say _____." it takes like 5 tries for the computer to understand. i imagine it would be like this for the game too.

BCVM22

Just a thought, so are we advanced enough to make something like this now? You no, and actually have it...work?

Are we advanced enough? More or less. Is it practical yet? Not at all.

The necessary voice recognition programming would be significantly more trouble than it would be worth, particularly in regards to the hundreds of attack names that would be involved, and even better, that programming would have to be redone and tweaked for every dialect of every major language spoken worldwide. It would unnecessarily drive up the development budget by a significant amount and it would pass that unnecessary cost along to each localization team worldwide. And all of that would be just for adding voice input to the standard Pokémon gameplay - adding your business of "circle behind him" or whatever would be a chore without the voice input. Adding that sort of thing AND making it voice-responsive would probably cause a programmer or two to quit their jobs and retire to a quiet life of no electronics.

Last edited:

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
That's a good point. I work for a living with voice recognition software-- one of the best programs out there, and its capability is still flawed. Add that to the fact that players would be rushing to shout out their commands under pressure.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I don't think we'd be able to use voice commands, but I think we could do something where shaking the Wiimote in certain ways causing certain dodges and counters. That'd be really cool if something like that came out.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
I'm guessing you never owned "Nintendogs"
Lol no, I had Hey You, Pikachu!, believe me when I say I've learned my lesson.
I started this thread, and while I'd love a game like this, I would never trust one that claims to be like this. I could watch a hundred videos of people swearing it works and I still wouldn't trust it.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I don't really like games where you have to say stuff, since it usually never gets what you say right. In Hey You! Pikachu, I'd tell that cheeky rat to put the vegetable in the soup, and he doesn't, and vice versa. It sounds good on paper, but it isn't easy to do.

Golde

Always Searching~
It's not so much, "Do we have the technology?", it's "Are they too cheap?"

I mean, what is it..."Call of Duty; World at War?" Look at that. And I'm not sure, but is there a mic in the Wiimote? I know there's a speaker...and, I mean, even if there's not...I'm sure they can make one, include it with the game, and jack up the price...But, there's an interesting question, what'll happen if they ever decide to make it for teh WiiWare?

Darkrainer

RPH Elite Trainer
I really like the idea. But it most likely isn't gonna happen. At least any time soon that is. :) But I would love the game. It would be cool if it was customizable and you got to choose your Pokemon. Nintendo should seriously consider this. Great idea!

BCVM22

And I'm not sure, but is there a mic in the Wiimote? I know there's a speaker

There is no built-in microphone on the Wii Remote.

I'm sure they can make one, include it with the game, and jack up the price...But, there's an interesting question, what'll happen if they ever decide to make it for teh WiiWare?

The problem with that is that they still run into the problems inherent to functioning voice commands. It's unlikely they'd try it on a WiiWare title due to the space and size requirements of those titles.

Nintendo should seriously consider this. Great idea!

Most certainly they have - their two active hardwares on the market are a home console that utilizes motion control as its primary input method and a handheld system that utilizes a touch screen. Innovation is not something they're short on. However, not only does Nintendo not make the Pokémon titles, but again, with the hundreds if not thousands of possible commands that are involved in Pokémon gameplay, voice input simply isn't practical yet.

D

Deleted member 11515

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Wii Speak will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Whether or not they utilize it is ~unknown~!

Status
Not open for further replies.