• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do we underappreciate filler too much?

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
That's the thing though, they were arcs. I think by that point they had submitted to focusing primarily on main arcs with the filler being the padding.

The second season of Johto suffered from not having much of either, likely because they hadn't figured out how to keep the series ongoing yet by then, but it still had the odd good episodic plot to hold it up (especially with Wobbuffet introduced then).

I often wonder if the middle of Jouto had so much pointless filler because the writers might have had trouble pacing the series due to them not knowing when the next games were going to be released. Perhaps they were just stalling for time with their fillers until they got the announcement of Ruby and Sapphire's release.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I often wonder if the middle of Jouto had so much pointless filler because the writers might have had trouble pacing the series due to them not knowing when the next games were going to be released. Perhaps they were just stalling for time with their fillers until they got the announcement of Ruby and Sapphire's release.

I actually think that this makes the most sense and it would explain why season five had less filler because by then they prolly knew that the next games would be out soon so they didn't have the same pacing problems.

DatsRight

Well remember the anime wasn't supposed to last that long originally. I think it was meant to have a season or so in Johto at best and then end. The mid point was likely when they had to change plans and try to keep things going, and likely didn't have many ideas how to do so at that point. The final season added some small arc focus before AG tried to shake things up.

Leonhart

Imagineer
From what I heard, the anime was originally supposed to last about a year or so until it was extended when it became clear that it was too popular to end in that time frame. In fact I think that all the filler episodes that we got in the middle of the Kanto saga before the Guren Island episodes were probably created as a way of making the saga longer once the network decided that the anime would continue past Gen I.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I have a love hate relashionship with filler episodes.In a way us fans view filler as bad or unimportant but filler really makes us enjoy the other episodes even more.The series would feel weird without the character development or humor in the filler episodes.Sure some series have way to much filler but filler can be good.I thought Sun and Moon had great filler episodes.I think we all need to appreciate filler episodes more.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

There was also a lot of filler to make up for the cut celebi story arc that was supposed to happen with the GS ball

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerGoldenhandtheJust said:
There was also a lot of filler to make up for the cut celebi story arc that was supposed to happen with the GS ball

That's true as well I suppose. It's a shame that the Celebi plot got moved to the fourth movie instead, because quite frankly I would've rather seen the Celebi plot kept in the main anime if it meant us getting less filler.

SerenaRulez

Some filler episodes can be really fun. I want to say that my favourite filler of all time was the evil Togepi one but some people don't consider it a filler just because we got gender confirmations but since I don't give a crap about Pokemon genders I still count it as a filler sorry.

Gen82

The thing I like about filler is it allows for the showing off of pokemon that the main characters don't have.

I hope to see some episodes with Impidimp, Purrserker, and Falinks.

DatsRight

Some filler episodes can be really fun. I want to say that my favourite filler of all time was the evil Togepi one but some people don't consider it a filler just because we got gender confirmations but since I don't give a crap about Pokemon genders I still count it as a filler sorry.

Well this is in the same way some fillers establish personality traits or depths that main arc episodes don't as well (eg. the Maile City episode which is about the only full moment of limelight Mallow's Shaymin gets as a character). Some fillers can have a purpose this way, it's just too many of them are known for just following the same formula over and over.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:

That was one of the few filler-like episodes in DP that I liked. In truth DP was an amazing saga because of its plot heavy episodes, but its fillers weren't known for being that great. The Mojumbo filler in particular is painful to re-watch.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
The thing I like about filler is it allows for the showing off of pokemon that the main characters don't have.

Yeah but the writers kinda suck at balancing out filler episodes to make them worth watching. They put in the least amount of effort developing the so called Pokemon of the day in fillers.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Some of my favorite episodes are fillers like the Cave of mirrors episode in XY, the episode where the SM cast helped Nurse Joy after she fell ill, when Ash, Brock and Misty went to get a Ghost type to defeat Sabrina etc. Fillers can be done right when it is isn’t a blatant attempt to delay things or too many at a time are thrown at us like the ridiculous amount of time it took for Ash to battle Candace in DP due to enormous amounts of fillers.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Some of my favorite episodes are fillers like the Cave of mirrors episode in XY, the episode where the SM cast helped Nurse Joy after she fell ill, when Ash, Brock and Misty went to get a Ghost type to defeat Sabrina etc. Fillers can be done right when it is isn’t a blatant attempt to delay things or too many at a time are thrown at us like the ridiculous amount of time it took for Ash to battle Candace in DP due to enormous amounts of fillers.
The cave of mirrors episode was great

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Yeah but the writers kinda suck at balancing out filler episodes to make them worth watching. They put in the least amount of effort developing the so called Pokemon of the day in fillers.

That's natural since few people get invested in the troubles that minor characters face, so by default the writers don't spend much time focusing on their Pokemon either. For some reason, I prefer fillers where the cast meets a wild Pokemon over fillers where they meet a COTD.