• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you actually like Filler episodes

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Isn't Pokemon like 98.70% filler?

For me it depends if it drags the story to hell or not. Slayers is a good example of how filler should be done. Naruto on the other hand...
Sgt. Frog's a better example if you're looking for a show with filler. Loads of filler, not to mention the tone and situations are cranked down for the little ones.

pukes

I think of filler as an episode that doesn't advance the story.
So a show like Lucky Star (or find me a better example) would be 100% filler?

matt0044

Sgt. Frog's a better example if you're looking for a show with filler. Loads of filler, not to mention the tone and situations are cranked down for the little ones.

Yeah, the Anime is significantly toned down from the Manga in terms of content. It's practically TV-Y7-FV in US terms. Would be if not for a certain single mother named after a certain season...

In any case, it certainly has load of filler considering how the Manga is episodic enough to fit in their own stories. That and the Manga started in 1999 and the Anime started in 2004 (which cause an issue with Angol Mois's introduction that was worked around.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Yeah, the Anime is significantly toned down from the Manga in terms of content. It's practically TV-Y7-FV in US terms. Would be if not for a certain single mother named after a certain season...
The image of the Sawsbuck I got in my head after you mentioned her (at the time this was typed, I was EV training a Dearling)...Don't know why the Japanese put that in their kids' cartoons.

Anyways, for the sake of an example, the Simpsons has shown with the odd bout of mature material and references here and there but has proven to be kid friendly a good amount of the time. There's also Funimation's amazing (in terms of performance) dub which is full of unfitting slurs towards American pop culture (which are usually put downs) to consider, thus it's a PG-rating (which is the rating on the DVDs) for you, toad. Sad they dropped it in the middle of season 2 (the end of season 3 in their case), there were so many better places to stop but business is business.

In any case, it certainly has load of filler considering how the Manga is episodic enough to fit in their own stories. That and the Manga started in 1999 and the Anime started in 2004 (which cause an issue with Angol Mois's introduction that was worked around.
Couldn't agree more but it does start to get noticeable what's from source and what's not when the quality of the episodes overall goes downhill, the odd great episode would pop up and is what most likely kept me coming back from beginning to end.

matt0044

Sad they dropped it in the middle of season 2 (the end of season 3 in their case), there were so many better places to stop but business is business.

Did they make an official word on that? I mean, people thought Season 2 (second half of Season 1 really) was the end (given Episode 51, it would've been fitting for what it was worth) but along came season 3. I just don't want to jump to conclusions.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Did they make an official word on that? I mean, people thought Season 2 (second half of Season 1 really) was the end (given Episode 51, it would've been fitting for what it was worth) but along came season 3. I just don't want to jump to conclusions.
I don't have an official article either but when I talked to a good majority of the English cast while getting my DVDs signed, they all said it was dropped due to it selling poorly. Oh well, anyways, back onto the topic at hand. With the show's absurdity and silliness (as well as a great portrayal of the source material), I found Sgt. Frog's fillers worked for it until the quality started to slip.

matt0044

I don't have an official article either but when I talked to a good majority of the English cast while getting my DVDs signed, they all said it was dropped due to it selling poorly.

Is it me or are a lot of episodic Anime dropped? Conan, SGT Frog, Shin Chan, etc. Anime with story arcs and whatnot are good too but where's the love for the opposite?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Is it me or are a lot of episodic Anime dropped? Conan, SGT Frog, Shin Chan, etc. Anime with story arcs and whatnot are good too but where's the love for the opposite?
Like I said, the quality goes down overall. The writers can no longer write something as good as it used to be, the current viewers don't find it fresh and the newer viewers don't see the appeal to it. It's a quality of television programming in general. As for Sgt. Frog, like I said earlier, where Funimation dropped it was stupid, there were many times where the platoon barely managed to stay on Earth Pekopon giving an open end but it would be no better than the show's already open ending. On top of that, the show only starts slumping drastically at around the half way point (plus there was an amazing Death Note parody which I don't know if it's canon or not). Makes you question why Fairy Tail, One Piece, and most importantly the Dragon Ball franchise do so well for Funimation.

Last edited:

matt0044

Like I said, the quality goes down overall. The writers can no longer write something as good as it used to be, the current viewers don't find it fresh and the newer viewers don't see the appeal to it. It's a quality of television programming in general. As for Sgt. Frog, like I said earlier, where Funimation dropped it was stupid, there were many times where the platoon barely managed to stay on Earth.

True. But I was mostly talking about US releases.

Back on topic: I like how One Piece fillers add to the story. Like with Nami making an earlier appearance than in the Manga. That was a pretty nice touch for what it was worth. The Apis Arc was pretty neat.

Durbe

I'm tired
It would depend on the case.
For example, BLEACH. If they're going to have a filler arc like that new 3rd division captain around episode 180, NO. That thing has the most boring plot ever.
But if they have one-episode-comedy-based filler, I wouldn't mind as long as the idea isn't too stupid. The series needs a break sometimes.

Pyrotechnet

Aviator Guy
They have their ups and downs. Fillers killed Naruto and almost ended Bleach. Sometimes their just so irrelevant to the series but seem to last FOREVER. They're especially frustrating when they're anime only fillers. When they're actually written in the Manga of a show (granted the show has one. They usually do) then they're usually better. As long as they stay relatively relevant to current happenings in the story, they can be a good addition. my final point is that if an anime is going to put in fillers, do so in moderation.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
My final point is that if an anime is going to put in fillers, do so in moderation.
That or play it safe like anime adaptions of K-ON!! and Bakuman as the show's creators wait a bit for the source material to finish or expand some more before adapting as much as possible and end up creating filler arcs or filler endings in turn. The earlier isn't a good thing either though, Kaiji's first season ended incredibly open, just leaving you wanting more. Luckily, its second season closed up nicely.

ForeverFlame

It depends. The first FMA series had some really good filler. Though it wasn't really filler, it was just an extreme case of padding the original source material because the series was still fairly fresh when the Anime began. The same thing happened to Blue Exorcist, but they were much, much less successful.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Worst offender of fillers is Naruto without a doubt. Gap between the 1st half and Shippuden? Then there are those crappy fillers in between arcs that were terrible for the most part. Bleach is a close 2nd but its probably temporary as its only 366 episodes vs 400+ episodes with fillers sprinkled in for other series.

When One Piece has Filler its usually very terrible so I'm hopeing that there isn't too much filler on that end. (not that it matters as I have dropped the anime completely) Full Metal Alchemist is probably the best example of an anime with no fillers that comes to mind.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
So a show like Lucky Star (or find me a better example) would be 100% filler?

I was more so referring to series with over-arching plots. Stuff that primarily draws it's viewers in by being a slice of life or gag comedy like Lucky Star instead of using a story doesn't apply. Since there are jokes in each episode there isn't filler. If there's a sequence with someone just sitting in a room reading, that can be considered filler. Same might be said about an episode that follows the exact same events and dialogue as the previous one but with different animation, though some might debate otherwise.

It would depend on the case.
For example, BLEACH. If they're going to have a filler arc like that new 3rd division captain around episode 180, NO. That thing has the most boring plot ever.

And yet, was still better than what was going on in the series at that point.

That or play it safe like anime adaptions of K-ON!! and Bakuman as the show's creators wait a bit for the source material to finish or expand some more before adapting as much as possible and end up creating filler arcs or filler endings in turn. The earlier isn't a good thing either though, Kaiji's first season ended incredibly open, just leaving you wanting more. Luckily, its second season closed up nicely.

Much worse is when a series just ASSUMES it's going to have another season. I'm looking at you Korean Zombie Desk Car.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Same might be said about an episode that follows the exact same events and dialogue as the previous one but with different animation, though some might debate otherwise.

Are you suggesting an episode is filler if its basically the same as the previous episode, just with a few minor changes to animation and/or dialogue? Does that mean you consider Endless Eight to be filler, even though it followed the source material?

AceFlonne

Mediator
To add my own.

Naruto and Bleach has the worst case of this. Whenever there's a serious event going on they just switch it to a normal setting.

The filler arcs in Reborn were okay since it didn't add any anime only characters and it expanded the story of the existing characters of the series.

EDIT: This is from my own experience. Many people thought after the character introduction episodes,It went to filler when it's actually canon.

Last edited:

Lilia

To add my own.

Naruto and Bleach has the worst case of this. Whenever there's a serious event going on they just switch it to a normal setting.

The filler arcs in Reborn were okay since it didn't add any anime only characters and it expanded the story of the existing characters of the series.

EDIT: This is from my own experience. Many people thought after the character introduction episodes,It went to filler when it's actually canon.

To be honest, It's was called "Daily Life" Arc so it's hard which one of them is filler (if you're not reading the manga) and it was a gag series back then before it went Genre-Shift

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Are you suggesting an episode is filler if its basically the same as the previous episode, just with a few minor changes to animation and/or dialogue? Does that mean you consider Endless Eight to be filler, even though it followed the source material?

Endless Eight was what I was referring to, yes. I said "might" because that's only some people's opinion. I still don't dislike it, though I can get sick of watching it. (I recently ran through season 2 again and went the 1,2,8 route.)

matt0044

Endless Eight was what I was referring to, yes. I said "might" because that's only some people's opinion. I still don't dislike it, though I can get sick of watching it. (I recently ran through season 2 again and went the 1,2,8 route.)

Speaking of which, a Youtube commenter put Endless Eight into a new light for me:

"I get why they had the endless 8! They had it so we could FEEL what Yuki went through! If it was just SAID then we wouldn't have a true grasp on the situation at hand. No we had 8 episodes of this wonderful anime to take up our long awaited season 2 be the same thing for sooo long! Now we have an idea of what Yuki went through so we understand it more!"

Another said:

"Looking back on it, Endless Eight was, in my opinion, was a genius move by KyoAni. They made us love them with the first season, hate them with the second, then love them again with the movie, all while generating enormous amounts of (mainly) VIRAL publicity. Sound familiar? The more people talk about something, the more (in)famous that thing becomes, and Endless Eight sure got people talking."