• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you all consider this game gen 8 or gen 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubl3_bot

Emolga enjoyer
I’ve seen a lot of arguments of what gen this game is, and would like to know the opinions around here.

BCVM22

There isn't anything that particularly marks it as Generation IX - it isn't a new region, there aren't new starter Pokémon, and save for one, all of the distinct new Pokémon introduced are evolutions of existing Pokémon (or their Hisuian forms). It pairs with BD/SP as the other side of the Sinnoh coin that will likely conclude Generation IV.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I personally think that the generation concept should be retired soon. This breaks the mold in more ways than one, and generational boundaries have slowly been getting looser for years. This isn’t a new region, but it’s an entirely new version of the region with a different name and a much more open map style than even the most recent non-remake core game. This isn’t introducing a full suite of new Pokémon for the region, but it’s introducing a decent number of new Pokémon and forms. It’s also a new story entirely with a full new character cast, which we haven’t had happen within a single generation before (closest was B2W2). I get that the start of a generation, as the fans have usually defined it, usually requires a brand new region with a certain number of Pokémon and all that, but since it’s an unofficial designation in the first place and this game clearly tests the boundaries… maybe it’s a bit outdated as a concept?

Anyway. By default I guess it’s Gen 8, but it’s going to be a lot closer to being a new generation than anything else that isn’t one, so far.

Red and Blue

Still Gen 8 as far as I'm concerned. The starters, mascot, and region aren't brand new despite the change in name for past Sinnoh. Though it is setting up some new mechanics we'll likely see in the next generation of course

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Let's GO was initially thought to be Gen 8 because it leaped straight to the Switch. But it isn't.

Legends, while a huge leap from SWSH in terms of gameplay mechanics, is still Generation 8.

For me, like others have said, the start of a new generation is signified by new starters, box legends and region.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The start of the generation would always be defined by new Pokemon en masse, new starters, new cast of characters and a new region. However, what constitutes a generation seems to be more at liberty. We had a console switch (no pun intended), and a slew of new Pokemon in between generation starts. If a region was based on Australia, had a fire emu, a grass komodo dragon, and a water capybara, and features 80 new Pokemon with a professor that studies Pokemon populations, then that would be the start of new generation, and that is when the turnover happens.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Gen 8.
I am generally very pleased with gen 8 games. Swsh was ok but it was nice having expansion packs.
While BDSP being not very innovative, I still liked it for what it was since I always wanted to play DP on the Switc.
And LOA seems very fun too <3

Usually new generations are distinct, set in new regions, with new starters and new Pokémon and potentially new things such as Mega evolutions and Gigantamax, so no, I would not consider this a new one. There is also no new anime/TCG series (not counting promotional stuff) and it does not really go with the usual schedule of new generations.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Idk if I can go back to the old catching and battling mechanics, so I hope gen 9 embraces these ideas too!

Ashton Ketchum

I more prefer count this as part of Gen 8, and test playground for future game since from Gen 9.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I would say at most, Gen 8.5. That's assuming that Gen 9 will use any of the mechanics that were introduced in this game (such as battles being seamless, or Speed being so critically important in this game).

Golden_Arcanine

It's still pretty clearly Gen 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.