• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you believe animals and pokemon co-exist?

Do you think animals exist in the Pokemon world?

• Yes, animals AND pokemon live together

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No, pokemon have replaced animals

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Some people believe, in the pokemon world, that pokemon have supplanted actual animals in the ecosystem.

Some people believe animals and pokemon can both exist in the same world.

What side do you fall on?

Without any real evidence (I haven't watched the anime or read the comics in over a decade to draw from any sources there, and the video games never show any type of animal that isn't a pokemon), I have always felt that pokemon and animals co-exist. For one thing, the fact that Cheubi, Tangela, and Sudowoodo exist clearly doesn't mean fruit, bushes, and trees have been eradicated, so I don't see why Miltank would have supplanted cows. Geodude hasn't replaced regular rocks, either.

Pokemon are seemingly some kind of energy-based lifeform that can immediately alter their appearance and physical structure, as well as been transferred and store as energy. That's obviously not the same thing as, say, a bear or a dog or a mosquito. Pokemon should, therefore, be an entirely different order of being, like how plants, animals, and minerals are all different from each other.

What do you think?

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Ah this is a tough one. I'm sure animals existed at some point of time, but, do they still exist. I think yes, coz the dex references animals a lot and compares them to pokes. But, where in the pokemon world are they ?? They are never shown in the games, so, that leads to lot of doubts.

Oh you might find this useful - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pokémon_world

I remember reading somewhere that some pokes are seen to eat animals in the original series anime.

In short, the pokemon world, is a messed up place.

Last edited:

Aleh

«Last Hope»
I'm sure they don't exist, in fact not only do they EAT pokémon, but they never mentioned normal animals in either games/anime/manga.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Except, as carboncopy said, the pokedex references them ALL THE TIME. :) If animals didn't exist, referring to something as "The Tiny Mouse Pokemon" or whatever wouldn't make any sense.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
I really didn't think much about this before now. The question was raised, and I was left stumped. Though I don't watch the anime or read the manga, I read up somewhere that they eat things like chicken and beef of something like that, though I might be mistaken. But after seeing all of the evidence provided here, I'm going to say yes!

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Very few animals if any exist in the Pokemon world IMO.

I think Miltank are actually turned into burgers.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Very few animals if any exist in the Pokemon world IMO.

I've thought about that, and it seems unlikely. First of all, going back to my energy-based life-form theory... who knows if they are even EDIBLE? But beyond that, pokemon are companion creatures. They exist to be caught, tamed, trained, and used as companions, friends, and partners. In civilized countries, we don't eat companion animals (imagine if you could just walk into a fast food joint and order a dog burger or gerbil nuggets).

I say yes because they showed a mongoose in an episode of pokemon. They also showed cheeseburgers and hotdogs but that's not really solid evidence since they could be eating pokemon, but them showing a mongoose and the characters not wondering what it was is.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
I would definitely say yes, but only to some extent. It appears that there are more Pokemon than animals, but there certainly are animals. For all we know, Pokemon could be aliens, or the Pokemon world could be on another planet.

Furret-Luver

yummy berries
lol, i was just thinking this

No, pokemon and animals can not co-exist. It would be an unatural ballence. You have pokemon (who can use powers) and regular animals (who can't use powers). Just imagine what would happen if a squirrel came upon a pikachu.

Zachmac

Just imagine what would happen if a squirrel came upon a pikachu.
I'm imagining...and what I'm seeing is far more cute then scary.

Luxray is a better example. It'd just zap it's prey lighting and bam. Way to easy. But, since when did pokemon ever get that logical?

Sealotic

I thought there was only pokemons in the pokemon world until I saw that...

Ah this is a tough one. I'm sure animals existed at some point of time, but, do they still exist. I think yes, coz the dex references animals a lot and compares them to pokes. But, where in the pokemon world are they ?? They are never shown in the games, so, that leads to lot of doubts.

Oh you might find this useful - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pokémon_world

I remember reading somewhere that some pokes are seen to eat animals in the original series anime.

In short, the pokemon world, is a messed up place.

The dex is often refering to animals, I don't think that humans a eating pokemons for real (god), so I think they co-exist...

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
Pokemon ARE the animals. Why do you think so many pokemon designs are based off real animals?

I feel the need to quote this.

In the games, anime, trading card game, manga, and various books, animals have either been referenced or have made appearances. It's interesting to see how many people adamantly oppose the notion that animals could exist in the Pokemon universe when there are several examples of normal animals in so many mediums of Pokemon media.

Zachmac

I feel that the animals don't appear because they simply don't hold any significance. They exist, but the franchises iare about the pokemon, not about the animals.

Takeo

I feel the need to quote this.

In the games, anime, trading card game, manga, and various books, animals have either been referenced or have made appearances. It's interesting to see how many people adamantly oppose the notion that animals could exist in the Pokemon universe when there are several examples of normal animals in so many mediums of Pokemon media.

Ever consider that Pokemon are only indigenous in Japan (considering all region originate from somewhere in japan) and that the rest of the world has 'normal' types of animals.

Ever consider that Pokemon are only indigenous in Japan (considering all region originate from somewhere in japan) and that the rest of the world has 'normal' types of animals.

Unova was based on the United States of America (specifically New York City), and there is evidence from the trailer that X & Y might be based on France (or possibly Europe in general), so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Pokemon exist worldwide. Either way, normal animals have been shown in the other regions, so even in that context they have been shown to coexist at least to some extent.

Takeo

Unova was based on the United States of America (specifically New York City), and there are speculation from the trailer that X & Y might be based on France (or possibly Europe in general), so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Pokemon exist worldwide. Either way, normal animals have been shown in the other regions, so even in that context they have been shown to coexist at least to some extent.

Thats true. completely forgot about that *facepalm* lol

Could just be that some animals mutated far beyond others.