1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you believe people make happiness, or stumble upon it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by SolidWolverine, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SolidWolverine

SolidWolverine Well-Known Member

I know there are many strong views on this, so I was wondering what you guys think.

It would be interesting to hear both sides, because I know there can be great arguments made for both perspectives.

Some believe happiness is something that you just happen to stumble upon, such as chance encounters with certain people, unlikely situations, or just plain luck. Whereas others take a more active approach, believing that it is something to be grasped with your own two hands, something that you don't wait for, but rather pursue intently.

Whats your two cents?

2. Rave

Rave Banned

happiness is something that can only be defined by someone natively. it's not something that can be completely empirically agreed upon.

3. Rezzo

Rezzo Donkey Kong is here

"We shouldn't strive to live better lives, but instead strive to be better people"

4. Poetry

Poetry Dancing Mad

Happiness... is there really such a thing?

5. SolidWolverine

Happiness, as in the general feeling characterized by emotions such as joy /satisfaction/contentment. Not exactly the circumstances that cause it, but the general feeling itself, regardless of the native cause. Regardless of whether it's "this makes me happy" or "that makes me happy", there is a "happy" which is universally perceived by everyone nonetheless

Nice one :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

I hate when people say money can't buy happiness. It damn sure can.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Eldritch Abomination

There is no such thing as happiness.

8. Rave

Rave Banned

This is funny, because all of these right here, literally point out the truth about the construct of the idea of "happiness" in itself thru various multi-angular viewpoints, all of which thru various degrees are true.

Excellent show fellow peeps.

9. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

For either, some people do and some people don't. There's no universal form that "happiness" takes, so how can you specify for everyone that they make happiness or they stumble upon it? Who's to say those are even different all the time, anyway?

10. Rave

Rave Banned

^an excellently observed question my socratic friend.

11. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

well id depends on how you define happiness.
    if it is simply a good time then yeah money can buy that...for a while at least.
    but if u consider it something deeper then you really have to strive to attain it.

12. Floette

Floette Fennekin

I believe both. I lean more towards making it, though. One is not happy simply because the stumble upon good fortune; ie. the lottery or being born rich. One is happy because they strive for something(s) that give them joy and personal confidence.

13. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

Happiness is an emotion. You can't make or stumble upon it. Emotions are generally side effect of a particular outcome. So you don't want to strive for happiness itself, you want to strive for an outcome that makes you happy. And in any case, emotions are ephemeral, so while you may be happy at one moment, it is never permanent. It will eventually fade and may even be replaced by more negative emotions.

14. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly Staff Member Moderator

Happiness, like most emotions, isn't something you can simply and objectively examine and measure because each person experiences it differently.

That said, I do believe happiness is strongest and easiest to obtain and retain if it comes intrinsically. The same thing applies to motivation - it's easiest to become motivated and stay motivated if it comes from the individual rather than having an external source.

But whatever makes you happy. :>

~Psychic

15. Klizcool

Klizcool GARBAGE DAY?!?!

Happiness is a combination of whatever brings you pleasure. It's all based upon whatever your body and mind find enjoyable. Some things also make you happy like jokes that make you laugh and the fulfillment of chemical desires such as eating, sleeping, and breeding.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a 72 inch Plasma screen TV with 3D. Those make me happy :).

16. SmeargleRocks

SmeargleRocks Reputable Trader

I believe it varies with everyone, for example, I can't make happiness for myself only a few people I know can make me happy secondly I usually RARELY stumble upon it every now and then, not that often

17. SolidWolverine

^^Thanks Psychic, your right on the money.

This is what I mean guys. Happiness is experienced differently by everyone and is a combination of the things you find bring you pleasure in life, the things that you enjoy.

Paraphrased, the true question is, "Do you think people intrinsically attain happiness, or rather seek it from an external source?"

18. MuzikMaestro

MuzikMaestro >Never Say I Die<

I actually believe it's a combination. some things we come across and are caused happiness... other things we must pursue ourselves in order to be happy.

19. TheEliteEmpoleon

TheEliteEmpoleon Surge Surfer

I think you can stumble upon happiness by luck as well as pursue it.

20. Ferrin

Ferrin Easily Lost

"Some people cause happiness wherever they go, others cause happiness whenever they go"~Author unknown
    i like this quote