• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you believe people make happiness, or stumble upon it?

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
I think you can do all in your power to try to make yourself happy but chance can ruin that so I think that chance can do the opposite and make you happy when you're not expecting it too.

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
I think its alittle bit of both, I can make myself happy but so can other people! Or i can find something that makes me happy!

RainaXainne

Balanced Trainer
I think it's a mix of the two. I've always experienced both. Life is what you make it, but if life wasn't a little bit random then it wouldn't be life.

PurrtyKitty

Donut Lover
I believe it's a bit of both, because you never know what can happen. You can find happiness when you least expect it & just doing the things you love can make you happy as well. Just gotta believe & not give up on it.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I agree that's it a bit of both. I am of the opinion that the way your life plays out is a combination of chances and choices. It's all about the choices and chances that are in your control and out of your control.
For instance, with me, I am reasonably happy in my personal life, but not as happy with my professional life. Within my personal life, I am subject to my own choices and the chances that I have, but within my professional life I can only react to the choices that my employer makes.
For instance, I may choose to apply to a job, but I am subject to the employers' choice to interview me, to offer me a job, etc. etc.
I believe there is a lot of things in life in which you are never in control of, no matter what people try to say, and then there are some things that you are wholly in control of.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I'm gonna say animals can make you happy, some people can make you happy, and also what you do for yourself to become happy can all depend on what makes you happy :/

Dreamy

Going by personal experience, happiness stumbles upon you, but it's up to you to act upon it.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I think a lot of your happiness can come from how you approach day-to-day activity - happiness is heavily related to perception. Of course life circumstances will affect the degree of classifiably 'happy' things that happen to you , but in general, happiness can be generated by people. If you project cheer and good nature, others will be much more likely to return the sentiments.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I listen to music, or draw, or play PKMN or watch a TV to make myself happy...but eating makes me REALLY happy XD

"The way to someone's happiness is through their tummy".

But if I try to make someone else happy, I try to make jokes and crack them XD, nya~

MuzikMaestro

>Never Say I Die<
I think a lot of your happiness can come from how you approach day-to-day activity - happiness is heavily related to perception. Of course life circumstances will affect the degree of classifiably 'happy' things that happen to you , but in general, happiness can be generated by people. If you project cheer and good nature, others will be much more likely to return the sentiments.
Quite right. However, being pleasant doesn't always reap pleasantness in return... Which can quite effectively lower our sense of self esteem and happiness then. Word of experience talking there.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
happiness is heavily related to perception

Pretty much my opinion in one nice little phrase.

Sometimes happiness does stumble upon you, as Coyote_Dynamo said, and other times you have to work for it and make it from what you can get. If you have to depend on chance, perhaps you're aiming your sights in the wrong area. Sometimes, though, your spirits are too dim to be able to see it for yourself no matter how hard you try.

I don't think it's a matter of finding or making new things, but seeing what's already right in front of you.

ScytheSwipe

Its whats for dinner
I believe there are typically at least two types of strategies that can be effective when it comes to nearly anything in life and which one is more effective is a matter of circumstance.

There are those that actively pursue and those that wait passively. I feel that each have an equal hope that they will obtain happiness in there own right.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I don't believe you can make your own happiness, you can only gain it when with other people

Ninja Bulbasaur

I believe in karma, so if you're nice to someone and you're good to other people, good things happen to you. But if you're bad to people and treat others terribly (intentionally; if it's an accident, it's okay if you're truely sorry), well...

Lord_Kain

Just call me Kain
over the years ive found its impossible to simply make yourself happy, especially around this time of year...

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
its interesting the questions you find. I think people are capable of creating their own happiness usually beacuse they end up defining what makes them happy. it may be general or unique but being able to decided gives me a reason to think we can find happiness