• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care about EV points?

Do you care about EV points?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • No!

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • What's EV points? (.........)

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
LOL, man, LOL. EVs is an abbreviation for Effort Values. Did you, like, say it that way for humor?

Absolutely. The biggest thing anyone needs to know is that if you're not careful, you'll gain points for stats you don't want. If you use Sp. Atk moves, you want to avoid gaining Attack EVs. You can certainly be more specific than that (do I want any Sp. Def EVs?), but most importantly, avoid gaining stats you don't need.

So you expect me to not battle ANYONE except Rattata or the attack-raising guy at the beginning of the game (then another guy for HP evs), for a grand total of 510 battles and a really overleveled Totodile that makes the game no fun? After soft resetting for a Jolly nature and female? And then you expect me to rebreed it the second I get to the daycare with a Gyrados I get from nowhere to get Dragon Dance, then REPEAT THE ENTIRE STINKING PROCESS.

not happening. ever.

Bossk

Like a champ.
Okay what exactley are evs??? I mean I give my pokemon vitamins but Whats up with the whole Attack:253 ev When i give my pokemon hp up it only gains like 3 at most more health.
Know yourself out.

Well as someone else stated earlier, only for competitive or something of the like. When I play through Heart Gold, I don't give a damn crap about any of that. Its for fun, really.

Aresol

Caring Wanderer
Half the time I completely forget about EV's.
But every so often I'll look at what I'm doing and I'll start to over think about what I should and shouldn't be doing, I usually forget everything all over again right away though.

No. 1 Machop Fan

I care about them whenever I'm building a competitive team.

23caterpie

pokemaster
So you expect me to not battle ANYONE except Rattata or the attack-raising guy at the beginning of the game (then another guy for HP evs), for a grand total of 510 battles and a really overleveled Totodile that makes the game no fun? After soft resetting for a Jolly nature and female? And then you expect me to rebreed it the second I get to the daycare with a Gyrados I get from nowhere to get Dragon Dance, then REPEAT THE ENTIRE STINKING PROCESS.

not happening. ever.

Um EV training for in game just to beat the game for fun is pointless due to how easy the in game part of the game is. However, if you ever want to excel in the frontier or on Wi-Fi then you have to EV train. Besides, once you beat the main game then you have easy access to all areas including trainers, pokemon and items then you can EV train in like 5 minutes. I will say it is easier in DPpt. Say you want a HP4 ATT252 SPE252 Feraligatr. just rebattle the rich people near the mansion a couple times (w/ amulet coin) (like 5-6 battles later) and buy 10 proteins and 10 carboses and feed it to your Totodile. This leaves HP4 ATT152 SPE152. Now give your Totodile a macho brace and pokerus (if you don't have a pokemon with pokerus then you can get one off of this here trade forum fairly easy). Defeat 19 Seakings or Gyarados via super rod in the lake north of twinleaf. switch train if you must. Then defeat the fisher west of eterna with the 5 Magikarp via vs seeker 7 times then 3 more Magikarp via old rod anywhere. Defeat a Bidoof and dudududuh your Totodile is EV trained in under an hour. Now if you wanted that Toto with said dragon dance then give your said female jolly Toto an everstone and breed with a male Gyarados with dragon dance ( easily obtaimable in the lake mentioned earlier). You will get a desirale egg with a 1:2 ratio unless you're IV breeding the you are better to do that in HGSS with power items but that's for another time. plus if your planning on breeding then you don't need to EV train the parents in any way.

Since you already have the female jolly Toto and asuming you have the required items then: breeding 30min, money grinding 10min, 58 pokemon to defeat (switch training on Seakings, trainer battle 5 at a time lv 8 Magikarps and 1 lv 2 Bidoof) 30-40min bring you to a total of just over an hour with 30 battles (not 510) for a HP4 ATT252 SPE252 Totodile w/dragon dance. Very well worth it if you ask me.

Last edited:

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
I only ev train after I beat the story game which I tend to do in like 2 days after that I fully ev train my favorite pokemon so they kick ***, and I sorta ev train the rest. I don't run around just battling random pokemon with random pokemon, I battle specific pokemon that give the specific evs I need.

Sierra Silver

~Argentum Mons~
Yes, I do, though not for the main story, since type match-ups and a few extra levels over your opponents are plenty to get through the main game.

Profesco

gone gently
Yes I do. I enjoy the effort training, to be honest.

It's not as time-consuming or as boring or as difficult as we make it sound. If you have a Pokemon that hasn't been in any battles yet, all effort training really is is keeping track of which Pokemon you've fought, and fighting certain ones. Take the Old Chateau, for instance. If you want a Pokemon with high special attack, just train for 10 levels there. Fight 252 Gastlys, and your Roserade's Sp.Attack will be the best it could be! With the various effort items, you can cut the numbers down by leaps and bounds. Isn't that exciting? =D

Effort training maximizes your Pokemon's potential, and allows you to customize its battle skill in any way you want. Even if I don't plan on wi-fi battling, I still effort train.

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
Yes, but only after the Elite 4, so that I can use them for the Battle Tower.

Zaralt

4x Pokemon Master
LOL, man, LOL. EVs is an abbreviation for Effort Values. Did you, like, say it that way for humor?

Ha ha, you know I knew that it stood for that and seriously didn't even think of it at the time. Oh man, I love unintentional puns. :)

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
Yes I do. I enjoy the effort training, to be honest.

Yay, I'm not the only one who actually enjoys the process of EV training. =)

So.. Yeah, I definitely care about EVs. Not as much during the story part of the game, though. Although I do catch myself EVing before the Elite Four every now and then, just because I'm anal like that. XD

Saif

•̸<3Ƨ̷α̗ίϊιƑ<3•̸
I do care about EV's in wi-fi battles/tower purposes but if it's in-game then i would only care about natures.

Tirea Mokri

I don't care about EV points either. I prefer to create strong, awesome Pokemon without trying to breed for perfect natures, IVs, and abilities. I think that in a way, it can be more challenging to win with Pokemon who may not have "perfect" natures or IVs and raise them to be the best they can be. :)

Cris~Wigglytuff~

elite wigglejiggle!?
I only EV train after the E4 but only for the pokemon who need it like my darling wigglytuff and swellow...

garchomp and swampert, on the other hand, don't need any EV training to be beasts.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
"EV Points"? What are these "EV Points" you speak of? Everyone knows real trainers find a Pokemon, catch it, and grab it without caring about EV points.

Joking. Anyway, I couldn't care less about EV Points or EV training. I've used a few of those enhancing items on my Pokemon however I rarely even think about them EV wise. I just think "This Pokemon needs a better **** stat so let me give them a ****".

Grei

not the color
Now that I know I can use the vitamins to help the process along, I do. I didn't before, but I pseudo-EV Trained in HGSS by giving my Pokemon vitamins to max out their EV's. I didn't specifically alter their stats, but gave them a general boost.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I care about them, but only after I beat the game, or when I have a bunch of vitamins to use.