• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care about your pokemon's genders?

Do you care about gender specifics?

• Yes, it matters to me.

Votes: 96 25.8%
  • Nah, I couldn't care less.

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Sometimes...depends on circumstances

Votes: 223 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame Dragon

I usually don't care about Gender, usually i use just what i find with Good IVs and Nature.
Most of my Pokèmons are Male, tho.
I like to keep my gender-ratio balanced just because being Attract-stalled sucks. I'll try to breed my next guys as females.

teekesselchen

Usually the gender is quite important to me :D
If the Pkmn looks rather female (like e.g. misdreavus; i could never catch a male one) I'll refuse to catch a male one, even if it costs me wayy to long to find a female one xD

Also I often decide on nicknames before catching a certain pkmn. If it's a male name, I obviously will have to wait until I get the male version.

ToeyJoey

The Count
If the Pkmn looks rather female (like e.g. misdreavus; i could never catch a male one)

I always looked at Misdreavus as more male than female but I digress. I don't mind most genders but I much prefer a male starter, going against the curve.

When I recieved a Lileep on Emerald using the fossil, I diden't realise that Biollante, who is what I call it, was a male. Biollante is a Japanese Kaiju monster that is actully a female thanks to merging with 3 things: A girl, a rose and Godzilla cells.

So now I don't know what to do since Lileep is pretty much a one-only Pokemon.

Another thing was this. Still on Emerald, my Beautifly (Named Mothra) had an egg. It hatched into a Wurmple which is what I expected, but every single god damn time, it was a female. Because I wanted to name this Wurmple "Mothra Leo", since he is the son of Mothra in some films.

But I released her in peace as Butterfree is actully wikapedialy said to look like Mothra. So she will breed and hopefully I get a male caterpie to name Mothra Leo. Infact, it would be even better if it was a shiny since Leo has green eyes, but thanks to the 1 in 309284901840 chance of hatching into a Shiny, I doubt that highly.

EDIT: And finally, a non-kaiju thing. The Eevee you recieve from Bill is very useful if it's a female since Eevee is only obtainable once. If you have a female, breed and get more Eevees and complete your dex with the Eons. Simple.

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I don't care much about my Lopunny's gender. One's a boy and one's a girl but I love them both and they both know Attract!

teekesselchen

I always looked at Misdreavus as more male than female but I digress. I don't mind most genders but I much prefer a male starter, going against the curve.

oh interesting! i always thought so because of the pearllike necklace it wears. also misdreavus always had sth witchlike around her to me.

ToeyJoey

The Count
oh interesting! i always thought so because of the pearllike necklace it wears. also misdreavus always had sth witchlike around her to me.

The necklace is very feminine and it looked like a massive girl in GSC but I thought he/she/it manned up significantly in 3rd Gen. The eyes, just look very piercing and for me at least, that makes a Pokemon look a lot more masculine but hey, each to his own.

I normally try to get half and half... but sometimes that's unavoidable and sometimes I get Pokemon that just seem like they should be male or female. For example, Tyranitar strikes me as more of a male.

Also, I'm totally not down with female Machamps or Mr. Mimes either.

natie

Mr. F
Only if I'm actually going to use the Pokémon, and even then, I just pick the gender that seems the most logical.

Or if the Pokémon evolves differently depending on its gender, i.e. Ralts.

Torkoal

What? Exactly
I always get a Female starter, precisely because of Breeding. I want to be able to breed to have more of that Starter Pokemon once I've completed the game but am still playing it [Baby Pokemon are always born of the mother's species, right?]. There are a few other instances, but most of it is just for breeding purposes so I can breed to have better Pokemon when the time comes.

Also, I just bumped into a SHINY rattata and caught it! It was female, but I don't care. If I bump into a shiny, then because of the 1 in 1902849012890 chance in getting one, I catch it. And hey ho, I now have three shinys.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Interestingly enough, I pulled an investigation into the ratio of my Pokemon's genders yesterday. This included some legendaries (the ones I will most likely use) and Pokémon I don't have yet (all of the gen 5 ones, I already know which genders I want), but none of my shinies - only my main battling ones. The results were interesting.

As I expected, I have/will have more girls than boys - but the margin wasn't as big as I thought. Out of 132 individuals, 63 were female and 53 were male - only 10 more females. The remaining 16 are genderless.

I tend to go with the gender they look like most to me - male Reuniclus, Electivire, Heracross, Mantine, Swalot and Whiscash, and female Meganium, Togekiss, Cofagrigus, Lopunny, Wigglytuff and Ninetales. If they are hatched, given to me or otherwise rare, I'll take what I've got. Usually, though, I'll wait for the gender I want - gender differences or just overall appearance. Some masculine ones, though, like Salamence, Aggron and Lucario, are actually females - in fact, after training her, I now see Lucario as rather feminine. =]

Dj Travis

I don't care about genders. There's a good variety in my LV. 100, so.

In my Platinum team, I have a Shiny Machop. I believe it's female. Need to check that one 'cuz I'm not sure...

Teilayh

In the name of vDex!
My boyfriend only likes male Pokemon unless their gender is fixed such as Jynx. I don't have a preference, although I sometimes lean towards males than females.

Status
Not open for further replies.