• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care about your pokemon's genders?

Do you care about gender specifics?

• Yes, it matters to me.

Votes: 96 25.8%
  • Nah, I couldn't care less.

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Sometimes...depends on circumstances

Votes: 223 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M4zz

Banned
Nor do I. However, do believe the gender ratio should be 50/50, aside from other variants. Just to make the games themselves a little more gender-friendly.

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
Depends on the pokemon. If it's just for dex, couldn't care less. But sometimes gender does matter to me if I really like the pokemon. For example, with the eeveelutions, I like certain ones to be certain genders depending on how feminine/masculine they look to me (example: Espeon looks more feminine, Jolteon looks more masculine)

Chill92

I used to care about genders, but with the inclusion of nature, I found it annoying if I found the pokemon with the right nature but had the "wrong" gender. So I stopped caring about genders

StarvingLion

I usually get more males, but I prefer 3 of each. It usually comes down to the pokemon, but sometimes I like training things that dont suit, like a rather amazing male gardevoir I once had....

#Gecko#

The Essential One
I really don't care although when I used to battle at school my team would be composed of slightly more females or even. But my starter has to be male.

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
Except for breeding, evolution, abilities, and aesthetic appearance (if it varies alot), then I don't mind which gender my pokemon are.

But your anti-attract idea is a really good one, but I don't face many people who use attract, so...

Atlidevil

Game Hoarder
I usually catch a pokemon with a gender that fits the pokemon. I mean there is no way I'm gonna get a male Roselia and a female Machamp am I?

cooljolteon

user of anything
I don't care about genders, but I do have a funny story.

On my SoulSilver Version, first of all, I play as a girl.
My starter was Chikorita. OK, female. Cool.
My next Pokemon was Pidgey. Male. Good. (His name is Charley.)
Next was Mareep. Female. Huh.
Next was Vulpix. Female. Um...
next, I had planned to use Nidoqueen, so I caught Nidoran F. Obviously, female.
Finally, I got my Eevee for my Eeveelution. Female. Wait, what?!?

So, all in all, I have 5 females, two of which are supposed to usually be male, plus one lone, lucky male, who repeatedly hugs me (playing as a girl, nonetheless).

So, yeah. Funny thing is, Charley, my only male, is my lowest level on SoulSilver. (Understandable - he's a Pidgeot. Doesn't have a very good movepool.)

Honestly I used to be extremely OCD when it comes to pokemon genders. It doesn't bother me as much anymore unless the pokemon looks like its supposed to be a certain gender. Like in my HeartGold my character is female of course but it really bothers me that my Chikorita was male because it just looks like it should be more of a female pokemon. Another example would be like Beautifly or Ninetales...they just look like feminine pokemon to me.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Only care about them if I need to evolve them into something.

Umbreon's Girl

Scolipede!!!
I like female starters (except gen. 1 ). Especially since I tend to catch more male pokemon. On black/white I want a more even team gender wise.

I bought a second hand version of Emerald and I am trying to catch all females except for gender specific pokemon like volbeat (which is alright as on my Sapphire version I used a Volbeat almost for the whole game way back when). It is a pain in the butt trying to find the illusive relicanth let alone a female but I need a challenge to entertain myself until black/white comes out.

Grei

not the color
The only time I care is when I'm naming them.

This is the biggest problem, especially with Water-types. For some reason, the first name that comes to mind for Water types that aren't incredibly masculine are names like "Aqua" or "Marina." I ran into this problem with my pink West-Sea Shellos and my Piplup. I wanted to name them both Aqua and couldn't come up with male water names (since they were both male). I eventually settled for "Aquos" for Shellos (after seeing a TV commercial) and "Agwa" for Piplup (although I eventually just gave in and changed that one to "Aqua" later on).

For this reason, I usually want my Water-type to be female. My Fire-type can be male or female (as fire is either manly on a male or sexy on a female) and my Grass-type can be either or as well (Grass equates to nature, which can be manly or girly depending on how you look at it). Pretty much any other type can be male or female for me and I'd have no real qualms. Water is the only one that gives me trouble with nicknames.

Fortunately, I won't be running into that problem with Black/White, because I'm going to name them all after their main color scheme (so Samurott will be "Blue," Lilligant will be "Green," Scrafty will be "Yellow," and so forth), and so the genders won't matter as the colors are mostly unisex. I may favor a female Musharna (who would be named "Pink"), but if I get a male "Pink" I won't mind.

XXD17

Draco rex
I care only if the pokemon exhibits a sexual dimorphism like the female pikachu with a heart-shaped tail or a female hippowdon being grey...I like to have pokemon that look closest to their original design as indicated by the sugimori art or the anime so that means male pikachu and male hippowdon...but that's just my preference...also I like the male unfezant better

ComfyShorts

It depends on the pokemon... if its a girlish looking pokemon I prefer female, if its a manly looking pokemon I prefer male.

Status
Not open for further replies.