• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care about your pokemon's genders?

Do you care about gender specifics?

• Yes, it matters to me.

Votes: 96 25.8%
  • Nah, I couldn't care less.

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Sometimes...depends on circumstances

Votes: 223 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormeEon

The DNA Master
I had a male Kirlia in my sapphire game. I never had the heart to evolve it. Man was I happy when I had a level 87 Gallade later. Other than that, I dont really care much. I name a female Slowking, Slowqueen, same with Slowbro to Slowsis. The only one i care about is my female Swampert, because if you underestimate her, man you are screwed. :)

TheHauntedOne

evil tofu!!!
It all depends on the pokemon for me. My team right now consists of 4 females and 2 male, all of which happen to be my favorite pokemon.

for instance, Altaria, Gardevoir, Mismaguis, Banette, Milotic, Mawile, and Lapras I usually prefer as females.

Salamence, Dragonite, Mightyena, Gengar, Dusknoir and whatnot I prefer to be male.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I do kind of care. If the Pokémon is rare and hard to catch, then no, because it's more important I nab it. If I want a particular gendered shiny, then Vute Charm. Obviously no male Gardevior and Lopunny or female Machamp.

However, most of the time I do catch Pokémon of the gender I want. For example, in SoulSilver, I reset for a female Chikorita, then caught a male Pidgey and a female Sentret. My Salamence is female (yay subversion of stereotypes) but my Ononokusu will be male. Simple as that. I have a mix of genders, it feels more natural than all females or males. I even assign genders to genderless Pokémon - my Metagross, Porygon-Z and Regice are male, but my Shaymin and Jirachi are female.

Canto

I usually go with the way a Pokemon looks when deciding on gender. Female Togekiss, Male Glalie, Female Gardevoir, Male Poliwrath, etc. But if it looks like it could be either, like Farfetch'd or something, I usually catch a Male.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I care. Especially when it's Lopunny/Machamp/Gardevoir etc. Often I just care because then I can give them a personality fitting and they need to have this certain gender. I'm so sad.

Vernikova

Champion
I don't really care about the gender of my Pokémon. I never train a Pokémon that some would think as one gender over the other (Such as Gardevoir being female, Machoke being male, etc). The only time it would really matter is if I needed to evolve a Pokémon and it could only evolve if it was a specific gender or something like that like Combee.

Korotokku

Something..
I usually get female Pokémon for competitive battling, 'cause you never know if somebody will have attract. I don't really care most of the time if my Pokémon are male or female though.

Silver Totodile

I would love to say that I don't but for some reason I do.
I just prefare some pokémon to be a certain gender than others... like the mareep line. I like a female mareep line. Dunno why, just do.

Sticking with the johto example are the starters. I have to have totodile and cyndaquil male but I like chikorita to be female. This isn't the case with all of the starters though. I like all my kanto starters to be male.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
I'm a bit anal about my pokemon's genders.

I lol'd for about five minutes.

Anyway, I think it's funny using male Mismagius and female Machamp. It is really stupid that the English names were made the way they were (Ex: Mr. Mime, when the Japanese name implies no gender), but if I'm trying to get Pokemon for competitive play, I really don't care what the gender is unless I'm using an Attract strategy or something. It's Japan's fault for Gardevoir though.

At least there's no male Jynx... yet.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I am picky about my Pokemon's genders. I don't know why, but I usually prefer male Pokemon to female Pokemon. There are a few exceptions however. When it comes to Pokemon like Bellossom who look totally feminine, I just have to have a female one since having a male Bellossom seems strange. The same goes for the opposite situation. If I have a Machamp, it has to be male since the Pokemon itself looks masculine and not totally feminine. I'm just sexist I guess :s

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I only care about there genders if they look more girly or if they look more macho.Like for an example,I would only want to have a male Hariyama because it looks like a macho pokemon and would only want a female Medicham because it looks more girlish than it is macho.I decided to do this after I trained up a male Gardervoir back in the days of the 3rd Generation.But anywho,It does not matter to me if only the Pokemon has the better gender difference.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
I only care about my pokemon genders if male and female of a particular specie does not look alike for instance Luxray.... I like it male because it looks kind of more threatning. Otherwise I don't mind having either gender

Ayokawa

The Wandering King
I do care about genders but it does not affect training or catching purposes. I like certain Pokemon that I put in my team to be different genders because I am a roleplayer, so I treat my team as I would if I was roleplaying with them, each has a different backstory and what not. Other than breeding purposes that is the only reason why. Example would be Female Roserade, Male Charizard.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Nah, the only reason I would pay attention to gender is for the purpose of breeding. The only exception is Pokemon in which a certain gender is significantly rarer, like Eevee, but I wouldn't really go out of my way for it.

Silver!

i don't care about genders not on any pokemon when i first see a poke i want i just catch it not looking or caring about it's gender

Status
Not open for further replies.