• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care about your pokemon's genders?

Do you care about gender specifics?

• Yes, it matters to me.

Votes: 96 25.8%
  • Nah, I couldn't care less.

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Sometimes...depends on circumstances

Votes: 223 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpicyFlareon

Mr. Flareon to you.
It doesn't really matter to me. There are definitely some Pokemon that I think of as one gender (I have a hard time picturing a male Gardevior or a female Tyranitar, for example), but I don't specifically try to catch one gender rather than another.

Same here, and why can't Nintendo make a female Mr. Mime, be named.. Uh... Miss. Mime. o.o

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
I never cared about the genders of my Pokemon, but my husband does. I think it's really weird, because he'll say
"I can't have a female of that Pokemon! It looks like a guy!"
Then I'll tell him he's sexist, and he'll give me some example of a Pokemon he'd use even if it were a girl.
Somehow on my Nuzlocke Platinum, I've ended up with almost all girls. Even my starter is a girl. The only guy Pokemon I've had was a Roserade (who died. D: )

I don't pay attention to stats (gender does change stats slightly, right?) so that doesn't affect my preference, but yeah, I'd rather have a male Machamp, Mr. Mime, etc. just because they (and the female-er) Pokémon are so blatantly a certain gender. Also, for some reason I'd rather get a female starter, just because they're usually male.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
[Imaginative]:[Clockwork];11813524 said:
I don't pay attention to stats (gender does change stats slightly, right?) so that doesn't affect my preference, but yeah, I'd rather have a male Machamp, Mr. Mime, etc. just because they (and the female-er) Pokémon are so blatantly a certain gender. Also, for some reason I'd rather get a female starter, just because they're usually male.

Gender only affects stats in Generation 2, when female Pokemon had low Attack IVs due to a quirky internal data structure.

Beechlgz

I like to train males so that should I ever want to teach it a TM I can check to see if it can be passed down. Am I correct in assuming only males can pass down moves? I just hate using one-time-only TMs on a pokemon that cannot pass it down to another pokemon species. Depending on the pokemon sometimes even males can't do that. But females are guaranteed to be unable to. I think. Unless it's changed since Gen II.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Although it doesn't matter, I train male Pokemon because i just don't like the idea of girls fighting...i know its stupid but thats just me..

For my team, I prefer to have more females than males since I've found that female Pokémon tend to know Attract more often than males. I've followed this pattern since that nightmare known as Whitney's gym. However, I may start using an equal amount of males and females on my team to keep it balanced.

As for the rest, it doesn't matter unless I like a Pokémon and think a certain gender suits it better.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
yes, yes I do, for all intents and purposes, I am a breeder. IF a pokemon looks more female than male, then there female but otherwise there all male.

No it isn't me being sexist , I simply like the color blue more.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
You should complain to nintendo of america since genders did not exist back in generation one, the pokemon were also called barrierds(mr mime)

Yeah, if it looks like a girl, it has to be a girl in my books.
Saying that, it's only the 'girly looking' ones that are female in my collection. Most of my Pokémon are male. The only weird exception is my Toxicroak (Ms Tox).

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
It really depend on how that Pokemon look for me to decide what gender I want it to be, but sometimes It don't really matter. I'm going to raise a Male Lopunny for fun! :)

Dawnshadow

Zubat Fanatic
I unknowingly have a balanced team. @_@

Very rarely would I only catch one gender. (Like with what a did with a Zubat because I already had a super strong female and wanted to tell them apart. XD) Other times it would be because I already have something picked out for them, and an assigned gender. (such as I call my Zapdos a guy, but my Suicune a girl)

I do prefer males for some reason though. :/ (especially if there is a weird difference between the art)

Aquarelle

Staff member
I only care if I need a certain gender for evolution purposes, like getting a male Ralts in order to get Gallade.

Other than that, I don't really care what the gender is. Getting a good nature, ability, etc. is already hard enough sometimes.
Though for some reason, I usually end up with mostly male Pokemon on my teams.

I confess, I prefer for almost all of my pokemon to be male, simply because I find it easier to think of male nicknames than female ones. I get female nickname ideas, of course, but much less often than male ones. I don't know why.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I don't really care whether a Pokemon is male or female; unless you breed Pokemon excessively during your tenure, then genders seem like an afterthought. A little side statistic that changes up gameplay a few times, but irrelevant otherwise. I don't understand what the amusement value is in raising a team of only one gender, but to each his/her own, I suppose.

And as for "strange" scenarios - female Mr. Mimes or Machamps - it shouldn't matter and needn't be brought up outside of the occasional immature joke. A good Pokemon is a good Pokemon; it seems foolish to throw away potentially powerful assets due to something that has very little impact on the game at all.

At the start, if I can't get Ditto, then I go for the female Pokemon so I can breed them to get better natures. Towards the end, I don't really mind, but I like giving nicknames to pokemon, too.

Examples:
Roxy-Graveler, Prince-Empoleon, Bella-Roselia, Milky-Cleffa, Thumper-Buneary, Bananas-Aipom.

Status
Not open for further replies.