1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you care if Ash ever becomes the champion of Kanto?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jul 11, 2019.

1. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought to myself that Ash’s story would be over whenever he won a league (if that ever happens), but I’ve never really considered what league. Should it be any random league? Or should it be the Kanto league?

I’ve seen people say that he started with the Kanto league and should end with the Kanto league which is understandable but I don’t see him actually going back to reface the Kanto league since the show is based off of the games.

Does anyone care what league Ash wins as long as he wins one? I like the idea of him redeeming himself by rechallenging the Kanto league - but like I said before, I don’t know if I see it happening. Honestly if we won Alola or Galar league, I would be content.

Maybe Ash could win a league somewhere random and then they could do a time skip and show in a flashback sort of way that he rechallenged the Kanto league.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

When Ash wins a league he'll wake up from his coma dream and find out that he's back at square one
    Tbh I don't think it matters if he wins a league that's not in Kanto. I also doubt that Ash will challenge the Kanto league again.

3. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Given that he barely spends any time in his home region these days aside from his Masara Town return episodes [which are incredibly rare these days], I don't think he'll ever win Kanto's Sekiei League tournament. Personally I don't care about his goal that much anymore, so it wouldn't really faze me.

4. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Haikiri, Keeper Of The Gates Precarious

He can just win any League. He's already won the Orange League and somehow beaten the Battle Frontier. Not really sure what the writers are afraid of. Kids aren't gonna stop watching.

5. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I don't care whether he wins or loses at all to be honest, doesn't matter what league. It's not so much Ash's destination I'm interested in. I'm more here just to enjoy the ride along the way. And whether an overpowered Charizard or an equally overpowered Greninja happens to drop first after their final showdown in that final match... that's just one scene that just doesn't really matter for me.

6. I don't think the writers plan on having him re-challenge the Kanto League since that seems like the kind of thing that they'll only consider if they plan on ending his journey and that doesn't sound like it's happening anytime soon.

7. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Redoing the Kanto league again would be a waste of time. I'd be fine with an Alolan League victory and continuing to Galar to challenge Leon.

catzeye and Jerimiyah like this.
  8. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

I personally think Ash winning a league in Kanto does matter but it all comes down to the execution and build-up to the league. The only reason why so many fans really thought Ash was going to win in the Kalos League and came out feeling cheated then rewarded was because of it's good execution and build-up leading to high expectations.

MockingJ and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  9. maartjeverhoef

maartjeverhoef Well-Known Member

He really should've rechallenge the Kanto League back in OS instead of wasting time in Orange Archipelago. :(

It's kind of too late for it now, and even if he did, Ash would probably just use all the big guns from his entire journey, not his Kanto team, and that's the last thing I'd want to see.

The best I can hope for now is a proper reboot, so I can see Ash's story wrapped up in Kanto, without dragging him through all the regions stealing the spotlight from other protagonists.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Even when the writers eventually decide to finish Satoshi's story, I somewhat doubt that they'll remember or care about the Champion's League in all honesty. It was mentioned so long ago that most of the audience today probably doesn't even know what it is, so the writers could easily get away with having Satoshi skip that.

11. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

Wait why? It's not like he would've won anyways since the writers had no intention of ending his story, besides who would want to see Ash travel around Kanto again right after he had spent over a year doing that already? Because I'm pretty sure that he would have to recollect the badges instead of just showing up at the league again with his old ones as that would feel like cheating.

Jerimiyah likes this.
  12. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

I'd like to see Ash do the Kanto gyms again without winning half of them without even battling

Update the gyms in a similar vein to the Cerulean Gym (which used to be a tent) and give the leaders actual character

Give us an Indigo League match against Gary to cap it all off

And then have Ash lose to Gary just to troll the viewers who expected something new

13. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

Honestly just give me a epic battle between Satoshi and Sakaki over him winning the champion league.

PorcelainVulpix and BTS_fan like this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I probably would've liked something like this as an endgame scenario where Shigeru becomes the Kanto Champion and Satoshi has to face him to claim that title for himself since I wasn't satisfied with their Jouto League match, but since Shigeru is a professor in the making now and he hasn't been seen since the Shinou saga, it probably won't happen.

15. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

Is this some sort of inside joke that I'm not getting? Because the Cerulean gym wasn't a tent, it was a complete building that had a solid roof and windows and a giant pool, a tank habit for the Water Pokemon, an aquarium with actual fish and who knows what else we never got to see before it was modified and replaced with that needlessly huge metallic building that's just depressing to look at. I miss the giant Dewgong painting on the roof...

16. Redstar45

Dunno about that as that hanada gym building look outdated to look at.

17. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Only if Ash got to simply enter the League, we've seen all the gym leaders get battled once no need to see it again. You've got fanfics for that, if I liked that concept I'd go read one of the thousands of those that do just that! It's honestly a stupid concept that I've never understood why it's so popular...

Plus.... why do we need to see Ash adventure through Kanto for a third time? lol A lot of us older fans are already sick to death of that region....
    Most of the game protagonists aren't champion of their home region! Brendan hails from Johto, becomes Hoenn champion. Calem comes from... I forget, all I remember is they moved recently, and becomes Kalos champion. Sun hails from Kanto and becomes Alola champion. Ash doesn't need to become champion of Kanto, it's not something set standard by the games. He can be the champion of any place and it'd work fine

catzeye, MockingJ and Jerimiyah like this.
  18. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

From the fan perspective, which league doesn't matter. Ash has nothing further to prove in Kanto since it is the weakest league shown in the series. I personally felt Kalos and Unova were weak leagues with shallow, top-heavy teams.

From Ash's perspective, maybe it matters. Becoming a Pokemon Master is bigger than being a regional Champion or even the World Champion; it is to be the very best like no-one ever was. The "GOAT".

Trivial as it may be, there may be value to Ash for a round two.

Jerimiyah and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  19. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

Maybe it wasn't the most spectacular gym in the region, but I still preferred that over the new massive building that just looks superfluous. I mean the gym probably doesn't even get that many challengers to begin with, so why did it even need a complete makeover and a new battlefield?

Jerimiyah likes this.
  20. Redstar45

It likely kasumi did get more challenging as she was only gym leader of the hanada city after her three sisters left her as to promoting their own water show