• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you care if people know you play Pokemon?

Redphienix

41 Days of Black
Sometimes I feel a tiny little itty bitty feeling that I should keep it secret. Then I yell to whoever is sitting next to me that I play pokemon and my Rattata is in the top percent of Rattata.

Raptor_Pie

Shes hot in Gen 4
Sometimes I feel a tiny little itty bitty feeling that I should keep it secret. Then I yell to whoever is sitting next to me that I play pokemon and my Rattata is in the top percent of Rattata.

Lol wat? I honestly only tell people who i think play pokemon. So far everyone ive asked randomly play pokemon and have become friends. Pretty lucky if you ask me but everyone at my school dont really care if you play pokemon only if its an obsession.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
I keep it a secret to everyone who doesn't play. I hint about it to people who do. People who I am ok friends with don't seem to play video games, and they think Pokemon is childish, uncool, and only for losers who need to grow up. Most of my best friends know. Most are ok about it, but some nearly ridicule me about it, and because of that (and I don't want to be hated by everyone) I guess I'm a closet "Pokenerd".

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
I don't advertise that I play pokemon but I don't keep it a huge secret. I don't care who knows that I like pokemon. It's not up to them what I do. I do what I want when I want. *coming mom*

JSkuls16

Back in junior high I cared a little bit because my friends and i were teased alot because appearantly pokemon was uncool. however now im pretty sure almost everyone who knows me knows that i like pokemon. most people dont care anymore. i could care less if others know because it is a part of who i am.

sceptile33

In elementary school, most of the kids thought they were too cool to play pokemon, so I really didn't tell them. I'm not afraid to discuss pokemon in public now, however. Too bad I don't actually play it anymore..

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Haha, I was at college today and my classmate argued with me that theres no map on the 'Dex and he said 'If you wanna look for a Pokemon, it shows you teh map and theres the map in the Dex!'
I was like >.<

Owell, was kewl to tell peeps you like Pokee :p ye never know what they'll say! nya~

DarthMoogle

Forum-Moogle
I wouldn't care at all if people knew I played pokemon. In fact...
*testing day. Just finished testing and went out to the waiting room to wait for younger siblings*
-flips out DS and starts playing- *some kids come over*
Them:"Hey, whatcha playin'?"*leans over shoulder*
Me:"Pokemon"*continues playing*
Them:"Oh that's so cool! I have Pokemon Black! I should've brought my game here!" and another guy: "BATTLEMEPLOX."
...and then the "odd" one:"Mario's way better." Hehehe
Pokemon makes MY world go 'round. 8D
EDIT:Wait, girlish laughter is censored? I'll have to fix this. >:l

Last edited:

servine

I am a she. Not he.
no, not really. pokemon is awesome and i dont have to lie i dont like it.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Nah, I don't care, they can call me whatever they want. It's still a fun game.

and we might as well end the thread right there :)

anyways, I honestly don't care. and most people except for my parents and some friends don't know that I play. I don't have the sound on when I play in public as a courtesy to others, so unless they ask, they don't know.

Dear Insanity

above average
I don't go around telling everyone, but if someone asked me I wouldn't lie about it. I don't think you should be ashamed of something you enjoy, excluding necrophilia.

I don't go around telling everyone I meet but I will ask if they play it if they are a gamer like myself and I have no trouble telling people if they ask. If I hear a friend slag it off I'll defend it because they'll just be going off what they thought when they were a teenager which is a childish way of thinking.

Either way I don't care.

JamiSings

I'll be 35 in September and the fact I play any video games, let alone Pokémon doesn't bother me a bit. Nor do I care if people know. What I hate is the stereotypes that abound about us adult gamers. That we're all jobless losers. (I work part time in a library and also sing. I also volunteer, make things that I donate for charity sales, and am proudly owned by a rescue dog who's a former puppy mill breeder.) That we're pedophiles. (I honestly believe that pedophiles should be given the death penalty since it's a proven fact that they cannot be cured. Barring that, life without parole is the only sentence that should be available to these monsters.) That we have bad hygiene - I bathe every single day, use antipersperiant, perfume - in general, I make sure I don't stink.

Yes, I'm fat. Part of that is for emotional reasons due to something that happened to me as a young girl involving repeated attacks from a group of boys. Part of that is medical. I have polycystic ovary syndromes and one of the symptoms of that is glucose intolerance which can and does cause weight gain and makes it extremely difficult to lose weight without pills or surgery. But I know a lot of really skinny gamers too.

Yes, I live with my parents. So does my non-gaming brother. It's cheaper for us plus mom's handicapped and needs the extra help. She can't drive anymore so when dad's at work someone has to be available to take her to the doctor or out shopping. Not to mention hauling heavy items, climbing for things she needs, etc. I could get a full time job and move out. I've been asked more than once where I work to go full time. I won't because mom needs me.

But when people see an adult playing video games, they go straight to the stereotypes you'd see on an episode of Law & Order: SVU. So THAT bugs me.

However, I'm used to being different. I love big band and disco music for instance. I don't go to nightclubs as I find them boring and too loud. I love to read books. I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars. I think Brad Pitt and Mathew McCon-whatever it is are ugly. And I think there's nothing wrong with an older man dating woman half his age so long as she's old enough to have a little life experience behind her. (Say a 60 year old dating a 30 year old as opposed to a 50 year old dating an 18 year old.) So throw in the fact I read comic books and play video games on top of that - people already find me a freak just because I think men should ask women out, not the other way around - when they find that part out, the video game thing does not phase them one bit. LOL

-D@N3-

Well... I don't go around and brag about it, that's for sure. However, I don't really care. I once played Pokémon Red on an emulator on my computer at school. Two saw it, no wild reactions.

Really, what do people have to say about it? I find it so refreshingly calm to sit and play Pokémon Online while smoking weed and eating chips. I like it, and peoples' opinion doesn't matter to me, in this case :) I don't tell many people about it, only those who happens to notice me playing it.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I don't wear it on my sleeve, but if it comes up, Ill talk about.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Yes, I do. None of my friends are aware of my interest in Pokemon, since they would find it slightly immature, especially if they knew the extent of my Pokemon fanboyism :). It would also attract ridicule, although I don't really care what those kinds of people think of me, no one likes being ridiculed.

Too be honest, there's not much point in advertising my interest, since Pokemon's not very popular among high school student. The game has a little bit of a popularity, but not the anime or the rest of the franchise.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
NO. FLIPPIN. WAY.
Some of my closest friends play Pokemon as well and are not afraid to say. I was lucky, going to a very accepting school.