• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You Care What Pokeball You Catch Your Pokemon With?

Kalosian

So long
If it is a Pokemon that I am going to use for something serious, I usually try to obtain it in a ball that matches its colors. This was a habit I picked up a few years ago since it was popular in some circles back then, and I think it still is to a rather large degree. For Pokemon that I'm not going to use for anything serious, I don't care, they'll go in the ball that they go in and that's that.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Some people like the aesthetic, as some people will "breed" moon ball from HG/SS over in X/Y/ORAS in order to keep the design.

I use Pokeballs in different situations, depending on the effectiveness. If I were to catch something like Budew or Zubat than Luxury (or Friend) Balls would be my preference.

I do like certain designs over others, so it can be a treat sometimes to see a Dusk Ball catch for instance.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Yes, to an extent. If its one of my favorite Pokemon I would absolutely try capturing it in my favorite Poke Balls: Premier Balls or Luxury. Besides that, any other Pokemon can go in Poke Balls that suit them in color and if I have none, just a regular Poke Ball.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I care sometimes but most of the time I just use what might be easiest to catch the Pokemon in. In Generation 4, it was easier for me to notice Pokeball animations and I really liked the one for the Heal Ball, so I remember catching some random Pokemon in Heal Balls, like a Clefairy. I also used to think the Premier Ball itself was cool for whatever reason and caught some Pokemon in that too, like a Pachirisu that I got obsessed with.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Never actually cared for it, though if i have the pokeball, i'll try.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I don't really care about matching colors like I see people on YouTube doing, I go with the best pokeballs for capturing. After ultra balls become available in the games, my favorites to catch with are:

ultra balls
dusk balls
quick balls
net balls
timer balls
lure balls (Johto)

Least favorite:

great balls
moon balls (Johto)
level balls (Johto)
luxury balls

Aquarelle

Staff member
It's not a big deal to me. I'm mainly concerned with just catching the Pokemon, so I use the best Poke Ball I have without worrying too much about what it looks like.

However, I would like to put together a team with every Pokemon in a different type of ball in the future, just for fun. I'm considering doing that on one of my Sun/Moon playthroughs when those games come out.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I remember throwing any old pokemon when I was younger, but the more mature me loves a challenge, so I try to capture ALL pokemon in pokeballs since BW.

Sprinter1988

I'm not that big a worrier, but I do like my bug types in net balls, my water types in dive balls, my ghosts and dark types (and other scary looking pokemon) in dusk balls. Apart from that, I don't really mind.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Not really but I do rely on Dusk, Quick and Ultra Balls out of the whole lot of them. I usually save the Master Ball for the highest level legendary or a shiny pokemon with a self-sacrificing move.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Remember back in Gen 4 when we could put stickers on our pokeballs? I think that would be great to bring back, even if only for Gen 7 contests.

I miss the ball capsules, I spent so much time gathering stickers and arranging them on my pokeballs.

But most of the time I just try to use the best ball for the job, so most often I end up with pokes in Ultra and Dusk balls. There's a few instances where I think, 'ooh that would look great in a premier ball' or something like that, but most of the time, not really.

knightwolf09

For me, always regular pokeballs, nothing else. It makes it more fun and challenging, no matter what game.

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I care. All non-legends must be in a pokeball (it's classic). Legends go in a ball that both appeals to their design and ease of catching. Been using the net ball a lot for blue legends since soak is so useful.

Feline

Why?
I don't care, but I hate using the master ball for ANY Pokémon no matter how legendary it is. I like the master ball as a keepsake.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
It really depends on the situation. Most of the time, when I am playing for fun, I just catch with whatever I have or will work best on that specific Pokémon. However, when I competitve breed, I've been working on getting the Pokéball to match the final evolution of the Pokémon or if it's shiny, I may do the color scheme for the shiny if I plan to shiny breed it. If it's a Pokémon that I've recieved as a gift for competitve, than no, I don't bother breeding it again.

zozo

SLIMED!
Absolutely! If it's a Pokemon I'm just capturing for the dex and will release, then I'm going to use a normal Pokeball or great ball. Maybe an Ultra ball if i'm running low on the others or I'm impatient, but those things are expensive and I don't like wasting them. If it's something I want to use, in-game or for battling, or breed with, then I'm very particular about using a ball with the right pattern or colour on it. Now that I think of it, one of the things I wish they'd bring back from the Sinnoh games is customizing the Pokeball with different animations that would play whenever the Pokemon was sent out into battle. They did it really clumsily then, (iirc, you had to remove the customizations whenever the Pokemon was put in the PC, or something dumb like that) but it was a really fun touch I'd like to see back again.

xSilentDeviL

Shiny Hunter
I like using Pokeballs for all of my competitive Pokemon or breeding purposes etc. It's just a classic that I feel goes with everything and can never go wrong. Sometimes when I go to SR a legendary for a shiny, I like using the Luxury ball because it looks bad*** :)