• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you consider Wally to be a main character?

Alright, this may be hard for a few select of you, but for all things holy, PLEASE DON'T LET THIS THREAD DEGENERATE INTO A PURELY EMERALD-BASHING ONE. PLEASE. I BEG OF YOU. I like to be able to still believe in humanity. We can be civil about this, yes?

So I checked out Bulbapedia today, and I noticed Spe!Wally was given his own separate page. Cool. I also noticed he was categorized as a main character.

Huh.

How many of you really consider Wally to be a main character? Did he really feel like one in the RS arc? Compared to his game counterpart, he was fleshed out, given an expanded role, had character development, played a key part in saving the world, temporarily held a PokeDex and a starter...but we still didn't see much of him. He only showed up in the beginning of the arc and the end of it. We didn't see what he did in-between. The Gym Leaders had more screen-time than him.

I always considered him to be a side-character. An important side-character, yes, but still a side-character. Now before any of you say his role got hijacked by Emerald (and please don't make me rant about otherwise), I mean really, did he feel like a main character in the RS arc? The RS arc alone?

(And yes, I know he registered the PokeDex he found in the original magazine run. I mean how you feel in the arc as a whole.)

In any case, Netkun certainly doesn't. I also believe PokeSpe treated him pretty damn well, especially seeing how he doesn't have another counterpart outside of the games.

Last edited:

Rex Kamex

The way things are now, no, and based on what you said about his role and the Netkun site I don't see how one could argue otherwise. He also didn't make any volume covers. Not that making one automatically makes you a main character, with Scott and all.

But I do think he would've become one had Kusaka continued with the Pokedex-registration thing for Wally. The green theme with his team, the fact that he had a role with the Sky Pillar/Rayquaza thing, etc. suggest so.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Just give up Tomboy; humanity is already doomed.

Yes an article for Wally was made (by yours truly).

And yes, I do consider him a main character. But a on a lesser level.

Sort of an Pseudo-Pokedex holder, if you will. Sort of like Cheren and Bianca (although they actually have starters and their dexes may get fixed).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I saw Bulbapedia. So according to them Wally is now the eleventh main character of Adventures, demoting Dia, Pearl, Platinum, and Black all four of them real Dexholders. For the question do I consider him a main character? I did for the RS arc but for the long run? Hardly. Wally will most likely never be shown outside a RS remake arc and if we ever get lucky enough to get a Dexholder reunion again he is almost certain not to be among them. Like lolipiece said he's a pseudo main character type of a lesser level.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Do we really need to bring Bulbapedia into this?....

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Yes, and for one simple reason, he completes the trio for RS.

Red / Green / Blue Fourth: Yellow
Gold / Silver / Crystal
Ruby / Sapphire / Wally Fourth: Emerald
Diamond / Pearl / Platinum

Wally is a main character. Maybe not a Pokedex holder, but a main character.

I was kind of surprised to see this thread. I was also sorta ecstatic to see Spe!Wally get his own page.

I think in the RS arc, despite his few appearances, he was a 'main' character because he had his own rounds for himself and he was a significant impact. Kusaka definitely was going to make him a Dex Holder before scrapping that. I always wish http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/56/RSChapterCharacters.png became reality.
But I do believe Wally is a main character in the RS arc because he achieved a lot and was obviously planned for even more.

I'm also kinda hopeful that in an RSremake arc, that he might upgrade to full Dex Holder (just some wishful thinking). He could get Ruby's/Emerald's old Pokédex (like Yellow). The game-name thing won't matter if Cheren and Bianca do become full Dex Holders (we'll have to see how it goes with the 3rd version). And he could get a second Treecko maybe? (like how Yellow's Chuchu and White's Gigi)? Plus it'd be cool for each odd-numbered generation to have four Dex Holders. But that's just wishful thinking sadly :\

All in all, I'm glad Spe!Wally got his own page because at least in the RS arc, he accomplished enough (and temporarily owned Treecko + Pokédex) to fit the role of a main character.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
(And yes, I know he registered the PokeDex he found in the original magazine run.)
He registered the Pokedex in the original magazine run? Huh, I never knew that. I've read the volumes but I don't really know what happened in the magazine run for the arcs aside from Black/White, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and some of Platinum and Diamond/Pearl. This makes me want to research the changes more...

Yes, and for one simple reason, he completes the trio for RS.

Red / Green / Blue Fourth: Yellow
Gold / Silver / Crystal
Ruby / Sapphire / Wally Fourth: Emerald
Diamond / Pearl / Platinum

Wally is a main character. Maybe not a Pokedex holder, but a main character.
Actually Emerald completes the trio for RS. And there is no need for a fourth since the only one to have four so far is the original Kanto Quartet, and possibly BW depending on how things go.

And I still wouldn't say that. He was definitely a main character in the chapters that focused on him, but in the overall role of the story he was more of an important side/supporting character.

Anyways, getting back on topic, my logic still stands regardless. If Cheren and Bianca are main characters, then Wally should be considered one, too.
I think part of the reason Cheren and Bianca are being considered main characters is because they still have their starters, and while their Pokedexes got broke there is a chance they might get fixed and will get them back. That, and so far Cheren and Bianca have been fairly focused on for the most part in the BW chapter. Maybe not as much as Black and White, but still a nice chunk. (and it doesn't seem like it'll change anytime soon)

I do think that Wally, as of the end of RS, is right where Yellow was at the end of the Yellow chapter. No Pokedex in hand but having accomplished something very important.
I never thought of that before, but that is very true and a very good way of looking at it.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Kusaka had Wally get Ruby's old Pokedex in a RS revisit/remake chapter as a callback to RGBY. Call it wishful thinking, but it could happen.
It is possible, but I don't know how likely it is to happen. If we do get RS remakes though, I do believe that we'll get to see Wally again. He might even get to do some stuff as well, granted RS remakes happen. Part of that would depend on what all the possible remakes would do with Wally though.

Kusaka definitely was going to make him a Dex Holder before scrapping that. I always wish http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/56/RSChapterCharacters.png became reality.
But I do believe Wally is a main character in the RS arc because he achieved a lot and was obviously planned for even more.
Based on that art and finding out about him registering the Pokedex in the magazine version I'm beginning to wonder if he really was... Ah well though. I still don't mind that Wally didn't become a Dexholder (since he got better treatment than he did in the games at least, and he didn't have a starter or Pokedex in-game as far as we know so it makes sense) and I still like Emerald (and thought he fit better for the Emerald arc) and how things turned out. And really? He definitely achieved a lot but I still don't think he was seen/focused on enough to be considered a main character. And I don't think we can consider "what was planned" as part of this since we have to base it only on what we ended up getting.

Last edited:

shengar

Silent reader
I go for lolipiece statement: He is a pseudo-main character. Have many important roles to the story but doesn't have enough screen time. Also, He didn't featured in any volume cover.

But don't worry though. I believe when RSE remake is released, he will get more important roles than before.

Sorry, lolipiece, but I'll be keeping my faith in humanity a little longer. If people like Hidenori Kusaka and John Lasseter still exist, I'll keep going. ^-^

A lot of you guys made good points (and there was like only one stupid one). I love you people. Now I can put away my shotgun.

I never doubted Yellow's status as a main character. She had an entire frickin' arc all to herself, and in future arcs she continued to play a part in "final battle" type deals. We're not going to see Wally again outside of a possible RSE remake.

It's kind of weird thinking Wally has the eleventh Dex Holder seeing how he got one before Emerald. We can't really call Wally the tenth either seeing how there was a big deal with Emerald being the tenth Dex Holder.

Sapphire never met Wally. Hell, Norman and Ruby are the only named characters we saw him interacting with. I don't think anybody but Norman is even aware of what Wally did...okay, maybe that's just depressing now. He needs a hug.

I'm still on the fence with Cheren and Bianca. I think it was quite clever of Kusaka to give himself a lot of wiggle room by breaking their Dexes. He's obviously not sure what he's going to do with them and is probably going to wait for the third version. Well, they are getting some considerable screen time in comparison to Wally. At any rate, even if they don't become Dex Holders, there's no way their starters are going to be taken away from them.

Anyways, I love debating. ^-^. Still not completely convinced that Wally's anything more than a very important side-character, but like I said before, a lot of you brought up good points otherwise.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Another issue that hurts Wally and this can apply to Cheren and Bianca as well so before anyone jumps on that I am covering them to. Wally does not represent a game which is critical for all major main characters. Yellow and Emerald are original characters but Yellow represents the Yellow version of the games and Emerald represents the Emerald version of the games. This is probably why Netkun does not consider Wally a main character. We don't know if there will be a third version of Black and White, there probably will be but we don't know if Cheren and Bianca will still be important. For all we know they could get cheated out of their starters and Pokedexes as well.

Also the demoting thing about numbers was a joke on how Bulbapedia made the Sinnoh characters and beyond lower numbered as main characters, lighten up guys XD

Darkxninga

It is possible, but I don't know how likely it is to happen. If we do get RS remakes though, I do believe that we'll get to see Wally again. He might even get to do some stuff as well, granted RS remakes happen. Part of that would depend on what all the possible remakes would do with Wally though.

Based on that art and finding out about him registering the Pokedex in the magazine version I'm beginning to wonder if he really was... Ah well though. I still don't mind that Wally didn't become a Dexholder (since he got better treatment than he did in the games at least, and he didn't have a starter or Pokedex in-game as far as we know so it makes sense) and I still like Emerald (and thought he fit better for the Emerald arc) and how things turned out. And really? He definitely achieved a lot but I still don't think he was seen/focused on enough to be considered a main character. And I don't think we can consider "what was planned" as part of this since we have to base it only on what we ended up getting.

I go for lolipiece statement: He is a pseudo-main character. Have many important roles to the story but doesn't have enough screen time. Also, He didn't featured in any volume cover.

But don't worry though. I believe when RSE remake is released, he will get more important roles than before.

Another issue that hurts Wally and this can apply to Cheren and Bianca as well so before anyone jumps on that I am covering them to. Wally does not represent a game which is critical for all major main characters. Yellow and Emerald are original characters but Yellow represents the Yellow version of the games and Emerald represents the Emerald version of the games. This is probably why Netkun does not consider Wally a main character. We don't know if there will be a third version of Black and White, there probably will be but we don't know if Cheren and Bianca will still be important. For all we know they could get cheated out of their starters and Pokedexes as well.

Also the demoting thing about numbers was a joke on how Bulbapedia made the Sinnoh characters and beyond lower numbered as main characters, lighten up guys XD

Now heres my re-written opinion since I got logged out -_-...:
I believe he is a main character to the RS arc but one without a pokedex and starter (that he borrowed).Plus he was seen since volume 16 to the end of the RS arc too. If they hadn't of changed their minds [which I wish they didnt...] Wally would have been a main character through out the RSE arc etc. To the underlined text I feel quite the opposite. I feel that they could have been creative and Wally coulda done a nice job with the battle frontier. Though Emerald did make it is easy to explain what Crystal was doing in volume 10, I would have liked to see how they'd have explain and made things if the other way around. I sure hope they give him a show on the back of a volume cover (at least) and appearances in the RE remakes. I believe the remakes will happen without a doubt. About the second underlined text...Im not sure if they made emerald (and/or yellow) before or after the game came out so....
Now about Cheren and Belle to reply to that: I hope they stay with the screentime they have now. Of course if there are major battles I'd like to see them in it. Regarding their pokedexes, I hope they get "cheated" out of them but not their starters ( ;-; that'd be....so mean...) and for White and someone else to have them instead. I noticed on Netkun where they show the characters next to the game they represent, Cheren and Belle are no where. I've no problem with that so I just think they'll be important supporting characters (if they dont get the dexes back).

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Now heres my re-written opinion since I got logged out -_-...:
I believe he is a main character to the RS arc but one without a pokedex and starter (that he borrowed).Plus he was seen since volume 16 to the end of the RS arc too. If they hadn't of changed their minds [which I wish they didnt...] Wally would have been a main character through out the RSE arc etc. To the underlined text I feel quite the opposite. I feel that they could have been creative and Wally coulda done a nice job with the battle frontier. Though Emerald did make it is easy to explain what Crystal was doing in volume 10, I would have liked to see how they'd have explain and made things if the other way around. I sure hope they give him a show on the back of a volume cover (at least) and appearances in the RE remakes. I believe the remakes will happen without a doubt. About the second underlined text...Im not sure if they made emerald (and/or yellow) before or after the game came out so....
Now about Cheren and Belle to reply to that: I hope they stay with the screentime they have now. Of course if there are major battles I'd like to see them in it. Regarding their pokedexes, I hope they get "cheated" out of them but not their starters ( ;-; that'd be....so mean...) and for White and someone else to have them instead. I noticed on Netkun where they show the characters next to the game they represent, Cheren and Belle are no where. I've no problem with that so I just think they'll be important supporting characters (if they dont get the dexes back).

Starters and Pokedexs seem to go hand and hand in Special. That's why Wally lost both when he was "cheated". If Cheren and Bianca do not get their Pokedexes back they will probably lose their starters as well. Pikachu is technically a starter for the Yellow version so Yellow counts for having a starter. White's only starter is her Tepig and "Grey" hasn't been invented yet so that would mean of the Unova Dexholders nobody would own the Snivy line or Oshawott line it would all be Tepig line. Assuming Cheren and Bianca are the new Wally's and they very well could be.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
As something interesting I noticed (at least until the third Unova title is released), the "Dex-holders" (counting Wally for the sake of this observation) come in sets of four in odd numbered Generations and sets of three in even ones.
Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (4)
Gold/Silver/Crystal (3)
Ruby/Sapphire/Wally (temporary)/Emerald (4)
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (3)
Black/White (not Dex at the moment, but she's named for the game)/Bianca/Cheren (4 - subject to change upon release of third version and further B/W rounds).

It's also interesting to note that Yellow didn't get a Dex of her own until Fr/Lg and White still doesn't have one as far as I know. Likewise, there are "dexholders" (at least temporary ones) without a game name (Bianca and Cheren for now - though theirs don't work - as well as the boy who sparked the current discussion). In my opinion, Dex-holding and being a main character aren't necessarily a one-to-one relationship. Yellow is obviously a main, but wasn't officially a Dex-holder until long after her introduction. White fits this as well, though that's likely to change. Wally was, temporarily, a Dex-holder (though it technically already belonged to Emerald at the time in the volumes) but not a "main."

Which brings me to my opinion on Wally's main/supporting character status. I see him as a side character, but a major side character. I think of him like Neville Longbottom from the Harry Potter series who springs to mind because I really want to see that movie!. He accomplishes important things in his role, but gets little individual focus compared to the "main" characters.

However, like my opinions on the Gen V characters, this is subject to change with a potential RSEmake arc. It's quite possible that Wally would receive more attention in a future arc. Heck, he could even get a Treecko/Grovile/Sceptile of his own, with the double-Tepig in B/W as precedent (and Red's and Yellow's Pikachu if you count them, too). He did get a number of chapters to himself (well, mostly with Norman, but still sans the mains), so a future arc based on RSEmakes in which he achieves main character status isn't beyond the realm of possibility. I just don't think he ever got enough individual attention to warrant that title as of now.

Last edited:

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
As something interesting I noticed (at least until the third Unova title is released), the "Dex-holders" (counting Wally for the sake of this observation) come in sets of four in odd numbered Generations and sets of three in even ones.
Red/Green/Blue/Yellow (4)
Gold/Silver/Crystal (3)
Ruby/Sapphire/Wally (temporary)/Emerald (4)
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (3)
Black/White (not Dex at the moment, but she's named for the game)/Bianca/Cheren (4 - subject to change upon release of third version and further B/W rounds).

It's also interesting to note that Yellow didn't get a Dex of her own until Fr/Lg and White still doesn't have one as far as I know. Likewise, there are "dexholders" (at least temporary ones) without a game name (Bianca and Cheren for now, as well as the boy who sparked the current discussion). In my opinion, Dex-holding and being a main character aren't necessarily a one-to-one relationship. Yellow is obviously a main, but wasn't officially a Dex-holder until long after her introduction. White fits this as well, though that's likely to change. Wally was, temporarily, a Dex-holder (though it technically already belonged to Emerald at the time in the volumes) but not a "main."

Which brings me to my opinion on Wally's main/supporting character status. I see him as a side character, but a major side character. I think of him like Neville Longbottom from the Harry Potter series who springs to mind because I really want to see that movie!. He accomplishes important things in his role, but gets little individual focus compared to the "main" characters.

However, like my opinions on the Gen V characters, this is subject to change with a potential RSEmake arc. It's quite possible that Wally would receive more attention in a future arc. Heck, he could even get a Treecko/Grovile/Sceptile of his own, with the double-Tepig in B/W as precedent (and Red's and Yellow's Pikachu if you count them, too). He did get a number of chapters to himself (well, mostly with Norman, but still sans the mains), so a future arc based on RSEmakes in which he achieves main character status isn't beyond the realm of possibility. I just don't think he ever got enough individual attention to warrant that title as of now.

Last time I checked, Wally didn't get a 'Dex in the games, though I'm probably wrong here

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The same can be said with Silver, but it was easy to make him and Pearl get dexes because the Johto and Sinnoh crowd were both trio's. No need for a OC with them. As far as this Wally debate goes, you don't have to have a Pokedex in the games to become a Dexholder. There is just to much against Wally now with Emerald and such. I personally okay with the way things are now. As long as no future character suffers Wally's fate I'm fine.

Darkxninga

Starters and Pokedexs seem to go hand and hand in Special. That's why Wally lost both when he was "cheated". If Cheren and Bianca do not get their Pokedexes back they will probably lose their starters as well. Pikachu is technically a starter for the Yellow version so Yellow counts for having a starter. White's only starter is her Tepig and "Grey" hasn't been invented yet so that would mean of the Unova Dexholders nobody would own the Snivy line or Oshawott line it would all be Tepig line. Assuming Cheren and Bianca are the new Wally's and they very well could be.

hmmm wait are you saying the Soon-to-be third dex holder would own either the water or grass type? I'm alittle confused on that part xD...

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
hmmm wait are you saying the Soon-to-be third dex holder would own either the water or grass type? I'm alittle confused on that part xD...

With so many character in Black and White a "Grey" character really isn't needed. I thought they were going the Kanto route and have Black and White share the Tepig line but the more I think about it Cheren and Bianca do not represent a game and aren't named after one. This is assuming that Black, White and "Grey" are the Unova Dexholders. They would have to force a Snivy or Oshawott on White and have her give Gigi/Bubu-chan back to her agency, and then give Grey the other one and just ignore the fact that Bianca and Cheren have starters already. I have no idea how this will work, I'm just giving what I think could or couldn't happen as BW is breaking traditions and starting it's own so anything can happen.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Quite honestly, no, I don't consider him to be a main character. I've always thought of him as just a side character for some reason. I like him, though. I may not see him as being too important, but it doesn't mean that I automatically dislike him. If I'm being honest, I thought he was the most "humanized" character in the series since he had an illness. So I really do like Wally.