• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you count changing the internal clock as cheating?

MegaLeafeon

My DSi's time is ahead by just a few seconds, which isn't bad or anything, but I have a thing about certain things being in order, so I tried to change it. What happened though, was that I went to the part to change the time, but didn't do anything to it at all. I went into the game, and all of the daily events progressed along as usual. I figured that the clock didn't change, or it wasn't too major of change to call it cheating, in which case if it was, I'd have to start over, but seeing as though since my clock is off by just a bit, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter and I can continue with my progress.

However, I want other people's opinions on the matter. Have you ever experienced a time when your DS's time was off and you changed it, and if so, did you continue your game anyways, regardless of the time difference, or did you restart because it didn't feel right? Thanks!

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
I believe that exploiting features that exist in the game and on the internal hardware of the system is not cheating. Certain glitches may be pushing it, but no extreme glitches exist in the fourth generation that are extreme enough to consider cheating.

Certainly not changing the internal clock. If you need to catch or evolve a certain Pokemon, what simpler way to do it?

Havocide

Collector
Its the time? It changes when the clocks go back and forward for Daylight saving..its not cheating, why would you restart just because the clock was wrong. =S

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I think it as cheating. Because I like the fact that certain events happened at certain times and you have to make sure you play at that time. Thats how I see it.

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
I abuse the clock on my DS a lot. I think that at the moment it's about the 12th of March next year. I use it for such things as getting Shards on platinum, changing the Swarm pokemon and the massages.

I don't think this cheating, as I am simply using a feature that is built into the game for my own advantage.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I do it all the time, but I don't consider it as cheating. It's just making things easier for you because you don't want to or can't wait for a certain in-game event to occur. The only reason I stopped doing it is because it's sorta annoying setting and resetting the clock all the time. Now, I only do it if there's just no other way.

shinyponita

Friendly Trainer
But change clock time isn't chit because the game doesn't leave us using that for try again the lottery or things like that.

GengarNightmare

Do you count changing the internal clock as cheating?

Goodness, no!

Why be so hard on yourself? When a swarm I've been waiting for comes around, and I'm not finished catching before midnight, I'll change the clock, b/c I don't want to wait another however long for the next swarm.

The only things I consider cheating are:

1.)Anything involving Action Replay/Gameshark/the like
2.) Glitching your way to achieve something you're not supposed to (e.g. tweaking to New Moon Island)

Changing the clock is neither a glitch nor an external device.

EDIT:
Do you consider turning off the game when you faint a legend cheating? Both involve similar manipulation.
Good point, and I would say neither is cheating.

Last edited:

BadIntent

MSankey
Seriously? Time changing considered cheating?! Wow, that's a first on me.

Exploiting a game mechanic =/= cheating. Plain and simple.

ArcanineOod

Peace, perfect peace
Na, I don't consider it cheating. It is sometimes necessary. =3

xX

ArcanineOod

Peace, perfect peace
Na, I don't consider it cheating. It is sometimes necessary. =3

xX

Last edited:

razor fire

No one said that it is considered cheating. He/she just asked if you think it is counted as cheating.

My answer: No. Exploiting the clock changing is not considered a cheat in my opinion.

Yes. I consider it cheating. It is "manipulating" the game to get what you normally coudn't when you normally couldn't. Don't be a cheater.

That said...

All my RNG's are from like 2049 and whatnot. :p
Oh my, just got a shiny Jolly Trapinch 31/31/31/15/31/31 from the year 2035. Isn't that nice. :)

FlyingFlygon

Ocarina of Calm
I believe that exploiting features that exist in the game and on the internal hardware of the system is not cheating. Certain glitches may be pushing it, but no extreme glitches exist in the fourth generation that are extreme enough to consider cheating.

Certainly not changing the internal clock. If you need to catch or evolve a certain Pokemon, what simpler way to do it?

Evolution is one of the big ways this is used. Is being impatient (describing myself too) cheating? 0_o

I abuse the clock on my DS a lot. I think that at the moment it's about the 12th of March next year. I use it for such things as getting Shards on platinum, changing the Swarm pokemon and the massages.

I don't think this cheating, as I am simply using a feature that is built into the game for my own advantage.

Same thing I said before. Why wait several days for a swarm to end when you're done with the current one? Or, for that matter, why wait for the underground to reset itself when you really need shards?

Do you consider turning off the game when you faint a legend cheating? Both involve similar manipulation.

Excellent point.

Yes. I consider it cheating. It is "manipulating" the game to get what you normally coudn't when you normally couldn't. Don't be a cheater.

That said...

All my RNG's are from like 2049 and whatnot. :p
Oh my, just got a shiny Jolly Trapinch 31/31/31/15/31/31 from the year 2035. Isn't that nice. :)

Yes, it is manipualtion. Is manipulation unfair? And besides, anything you could get using the time change could be gotten anyways, just later.

Vibrato

B*tches be hatin'.
Does it really matter? Changing the internal clock to get you something that would regulary take a long time to get is no problem of mine. I use it to find swarms of pokes on my plat. It really isn't that big of a deal. If by fast forwarding time in the game we were somehow enhancing the pokemon to nonachievable heights I would be against it. There are far worse things you can do, though. Hacking comes to mind. Cloning pokemon can be annoying to others. Glitching someones game with a Missing.no. But changning the date on your Ds's clock?

No big deal.

FlyingFlygon

Ocarina of Calm
(Squints)

Oh. (Facepalm to self).

:) You're right, I didn't read that really closely.