• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you enjoy the direction Pokemon Sun and Moon anime is moving in?

Kintaro

Banned
XY's art style was AG/DP's in better animation. I'm not sure what the difference was. AG/DP/XY all look fairly similar to one another with the animation improving with each passing saga.

VoltTacklingPika

SM has the same issue One Piece does. The art style turns people off. Had the anime kept the XY art I'm sure most would have stayed with it. I mean I would have at least went into more open minded even if they did SoL.

If Gen 8 can go with a more normal art style and do things like last episode where it was not so comedy driven I'd be ok with Gen 8

I'm certain that they have no intention of reverting to the older style.

The current designs are integral to how OLM animate the show. The team working on Pokemon really like to push production and see how far they can improve things. On a purely technical basis, reverting to an older style would be counterproductive.

There'll be tweaks and adjustments between seasons, as has been the case with every season so far, but they'll likely be working from the new base they created for Sun and Moon.

Frankly, I don't understand how an improvement in animation can turn people off an animated product, but I'm not going to judge. All I'll say is that while some may have been put off by the re-design, there were others who were attracted by it.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm certain that they have no intention of reverting to the older style.

The current designs are integral to how OLM animate the show. The team working on Pokemon really like to push production and see how far they can improve things. On a purely technical basis, reverting to an older style would be counterproductive.

There'll be tweaks and adjustments between seasons, as has been the case with every season so far, but they'll likely be working from the new base they created for Sun and Moon.

Frankly, I don't understand how an improvement in animation can turn people off an animated product, but I'm not going to judge. All I'll say is that while some may have been put off by the re-design, there were others who were attracted by it.

It is like music some people prefer meaningful lyrics over good music music being animation in this case and lyrics being art.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Kinda reminds me the whole graphics/presentations vs gameplay arguments in video game discussions nowadays.

Last edited:

Jeal

SM has the same issue One Piece does. The art style turns people off. Had the anime kept the XY art I'm sure most would have stayed with it. I mean I would have at least went into more open minded even if they did SoL.

If Gen 8 can go with a more normal art style and do things like last episode where it was not so comedy driven I'd be ok with Gen 8
The art style is not the problem, just the old characters look terrible, the others are ok. I don't really care about a show's art style, just if is terribly bad, and even then I can watch if it is good.

SM's problems are:

-bad and forced comedy.
- plot progression is very slow. Too much fillers.
- Ash's personality was altered to fit the series format.
- characters completely without purpose.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The art style is not the problem, just the old characters look terrible, the others are ok. I don't really care about a show's art style, just if is terribly bad, and even then I can watch if it is good.

SM's problems are:

-bad and forced comedy.
- plot progression is very slow. Too much fillers.
- Ash's personality was altered to fit the series format.
- characters completely without purpose.

I often wonder how it would be if Ash kept his personality from XY and was like the only one who was calling everyone out on their BS.

DatsRight

I often wonder how it would be if Ash kept his personality from XY and was like the only one who was calling everyone out on their BS.

XY Ash seldom ever called everyone out on their BS. That was half the problem. He was usually utterly indifferent and passive besides giving motivational speeches. SM Ash is flawed himself but still more liable to snark or argue with someone when they act up.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
XY Ash seldom ever called everyone out on their BS. That was half the problem. He was usually utterly indifferent and passive besides giving motivational speeches. SM Ash is flawed himself but still more liable to snark or argue with someone when they act up.

To be fair nobody really did anything nearly as annoying as we get in almost every ep of SM

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Also, he was pretty chill for the most part anyway, and could actually keep his cool

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Also, he was pretty chill for the most part anyway, and could actually keep his cool
If you referring xyz Satoshi then yes he would like to be chill lot but he had his limit if kiawa still yell like a hot head he is .

blizzardblaze

true, true.
I really dislike the direction they went with Ash in the early part of this series, he just did things with his classmates because he could get something out of it.

Redstar45

true, true.
I really dislike the direction they went with Ash in the early part of this series, he just did things with his classmates because he could get something out of it.
I heard that brother.....if they just made him sub-teacher then you had reason for school settings then student might not buy hin about saving the world or him beat team gangs as they don't really see it like few anime did just that and it better job than sm anime is doing right now

blizzardblaze

yeah, I know. This series has so much wasted potential, when it could have been something completely different, similar to the previous series, but still managing to keep a slice of life tone instead of just staying on Melemele island

Redstar45

Yeah i am agree with that but I am going to be staying open mind about sm anime when near final arc of the series.

XY's art style was AG/DP's in better animation. I'm not sure what the difference was. AG/DP/XY all look fairly similar to one another with the animation improving with each passing saga.
Steven Stone looked like a whole different character when he came back in XY, same with Clair in BW. I know the reason was the change of art style in the games (for worse), but still. From Best Wishes it looks like different anime to me.

Genaller

Silver Soul
You’re joking right? In a nutshell art style = the displayed images while animation = delta images (a.k.a the transitions between consecutive images). If someone finds looking at the images themselves to be migraine inducing, then no amount of “fluid transitioning” is going to turn around their overall impression of the visual quality of the product. I’m fine with you valuing the animation quality over the art style, but don’t act perplexed at the notion that animation quality isn’t sufficient on its own for all (or even the majority of) viewers to have a positive opinion regarding the overall visual quality of the product.

Also fyi Dephender (the most credible guy on this forum regarding Pokémon Anime stuff) told me that Ash’s SM design (the design that I easily find the most nauseating to look at) in particular has been heavily mocked even amongst the Japanese fandom, so the people that are “attracted by it” certainly don’t speak for the general Pokémon anime community consensus.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

You’re joking right? In a nutshell art style = the displayed images while animation = delta images (a.k.a the transitions between consecutive images). If someone finds looking at the images themselves to be migraine inducing, then no amount of “fluid transitioning” is going to turn around their overall impression of the visual quality of the product. I’m fine with you valuing the animation quality over the art style, but don’t act perplexed at the notion that animation quality isn’t sufficient on its own for all (or even the majority of) viewers to have a positive opinion regarding the overall visual quality of the product.

I'm aware of the difference.

And no, I'm not joking. I really don't get how anyone can watch anything animated and claim that they don't care about how animated it is so long as the art work looks nice. To me, that'd be the same as watching a TV show and not caring about the quality of acting because the actors are good looking. Movement and body language can add layers to a scene, accentuate emotion and add dynamism, which in itself is entertaining to watch. The idea that it's okay to swap all of that for a nice looking static image is one I can't agree with.

Also fyi Dephender (the most credible guy on this forum regarding Pokémon Anime stuff) told me that Ash’s SM design (the design that I easily find the most nauseating to look at) in particular has been heavily mocked even amongst the Japanese fandom, so the people that are “attracted by it” certainly don’t speak for the general Pokémon anime community consensus.

FYI, I don't care what the Japanese fandom thinks.

Nor do I care for this second-hand anecdote that you're providing here, as I can just as easily provide my own anecdotes to back up my point. Neither would be sufficient proof.

In fact, I'm not sure why you're starting this argument. If you understand my values and position on this beforehand then, what, exactly, is the issue? What are you trying to prove? That I'm in the minority? That my opinion doesn't match the so-called "consensus"? I knew that already.

If you all wanted to do was explain to me why someone may value art work over animation, then fine, I'll take it under consideration. I'm inviting that discussion, after all. However, I take exception to your attempt to diminish my opinion with your "fyi"; as if my view is somehow worth less because it doesn't agree with what you perceive as the "consensus" view.

Jeal

As in no body really had deep foibles and chemistries in which they balanced each other out.
lol, ''deep'' foibles? Are deep foibles make silly faces and get hitted on every single minute? Serena had the give up easy problem, she and Clemont had self-confidence issues. Very superficial problems.

Reactions: NPT

DatsRight

lol, ''deep'' foibles? Are deep foibles make silly faces and get hitted on every single minute? Serena had the give up easy problem, she and Clemont had self-confidence issues. Very superficial problems.

The problem is that they've gradually become the most recurrent vices to give one of the protagonists. Combined with the fact most other examples usually had other vices along with that, and far more challenging situations to exacerbate their low confidence, while the XY lot falls a bit too close to a 'positive' flaw where they underestimate how good they really are.

SM is maybe more comical in tone but it has projected some decent complexities. Kiawe has let his temper throw himself into confrontations too quickly and has also set himself a bit too much into a comfort zone, Sophocles has an acerbic image that hides neuroses and being insecure about what other think about him, Lillie still goes for the underconfidence vice, but I could argue she plays it a bit more vibrantly because her 'try hard' attitude sometimes means she DOESN'T always succeed just because she has a determined attitude. Her more sheltered attitude has been played against her harder than Serena as well (eg. her naiveté throughout the Poni Island episode).

A lot of these vices have also played more into how all of them interact with one another compared to the XY lot as well.