• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you enjoy the direction Pokemon Sun and Moon anime is moving in?

DatsRight

She won an annual cooking competition for the whole region, and don't tell me it was her brother because she was the one who figured out how to use the sour Grepa Berries. And don't talk to me about Team Rocket dude you seem to be obsessed with them -- not every goal has to be battling.

That's one episode fair enough, but still ONE episode, and even there her use of Steenee was limited.

And it's hard not to talk about Team Rocket when they're the toxic impetus of a lot of many characters' limelight. Notice I seldom talk about them with the other SM companions or the BW ones, either because TR don't interfere with so much of their limelight or they at least give them a halfway meaningful face off that works into the story at times.

In fairness it's not just down to Team Rocket in particular but the whole padding villain/straw loser approach. If they didn't use them they'd likely use Team Skull/Persian/Faba or some other lame antagonist to make their more undeveloped protagonists look good over, you know, having them get actual development or proper relevant challenges.

Sophocles isn't a battler but they stick to that with him, he's beat up Team Rocket or some equivalent, what, one or two times the whole series? They can think of more meaningful things for him to do than just beat up a lamer character to look less lame and flat by comparison. In spite of being stagnant, I can credit him for that sort of appeal. I can't even begrudge him being a third wheel because he has some of the best and most introspective episodes in the series.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Considering they only have a year left to develop the SM characters, I hope Misty/Brock's cameo is short-lived, because if they stay any longer they'd inevitably take screentime away from the SM cast in their own series. It'll probably only be another 2 episodes, either way.

D

Deleted member 384931

Considering they only have a year left to develop the SM characters, I hope Misty/Brock's cameo is short-lived, because if they stay any longer they'd inevitably take screentime away from the SM cast in their own series. It'll probably only be another 2 episodes, either way.
Yeah, Why do I feel this last year will be full of action with the league and the Poni Trial?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Yeah, Why do I feel this last year will be full of action with the league and the Poni Trial?

Last year of all the series had full on action even johto and unnova had action with johto having leagues, 3 gym battles, 2 TR arcs, whirl cup and unnova had full league, iris gym battle and TP full arc. Other series have even more action than this so it is not new.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Honestly? No I do not. Battling has taken a back seat while comedy as been pushed way overboard. Yes I get battling is not as big as other regions and that the region is smaller but that does not mean Ash should not travel. In the games you go on a journey and they could have made anime only towns/cities and even islands. If it had been Ash,Lillie and Kiwai that could have worked much better. Make it so Kiwae is a teacher to Ash since he had done the island adventure already only to be the champion of the league. Lillie could be travelling to deal with Pokemon and her family. Yes comedy could be in it but not nearly as cringy and throat choking as it is now. I was hoping that SUMO would end up going more of a Dragonball route. OG Dragonball while being comedy had a good balence so the poop jokes were not drowning you.
Watch them skip all of Poni and the league only be the classmates plus Hau and Gladion.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Watch them skip all of Poni and the league only be the classmates plus Hau and Gladion.
Well it needs to include the Zeraora trainer who's going to beat Ash.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Lmao they're not going to skip the Poni trial

With sUMO's trash writing I would not be shocked and also they could go the Poni has no Kahuan route since technailly the only reason it does in the games is for plot

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
You guys make me laugh out loud at work.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I don't like what they're doing with best girl(Mallow), no.
The writers proved me exactly right from the start, they don't know how to handle such a big cast. I really hope gen 8 goes back to the basic three companions(Or two in a better unlikely scenario) because we haven't had that in so very long..... and don't "But XY" I mean three characters, last we had that was BW.

Quality > Quantity when it comes to the main cast. Pokemon included, Mallow's the only girl that needs a second cause Tsareena's well done. Popplio and Shiron need more work, that Dewpider can join Lana at any time though....

I do love what they're doing with Team Rocket, and how Gladion and Hau are being handled. And Nanu and Acerola were perfect.... the writers ruined Illima for me though
Pallet Town Reunion was a nice touch.... but we should have gotten a proper lab episode where we see ALL of his Pokemon show up, not just half of the Kanto team. Not to mention two important OS characters were missing and not brought up, you know who they are. It's upsetting Brock and Misty are coming back again before those two.... I love Brock but Gary steal your girl Oak is important to Ash's past as well! It was a real missed opportunity to not make Gary Ash's teacher for a school saga. He could deliberately hold that over his head
Jigglypuff returning was and is still pointless, should have left her with Whismur

And seeing Giovanni's secretary get an expanded role was cool; I really hope they come back instead of Not-Guzma, he's a terrible character that should have stayed a one-off!

I hate how they handle Team Skull though; They show up after 30 episodes..... then go away..... 30 episodes later they come back and go away again. Team Rocket doesn't need to be the source of trouble every freaking time, Team Skull was made for that! And where's my boah?!

I do love how the two good event Pokemon of this generation got episode appearances too; I didn't like how the event Pokemon felt locked to movies after DP, Meloetta being an exception as she wasn't in a movie to begin with.

And the "Something happens" *insert filler spam instead of character/Pokemon development* gets mighty annoying.....

I have a love-hate relationship with the saga. :p
I just hope they wrap up stuff in a good way; Especially Guzma, very fearful for how my boah will be handled. I don't want to see him sent to jail, and I hope he and Ash get to face off! Not just a one on one.... I mean a full on battle, something that's never been done! And give some Bug Pokemon that deserve it more screen time
And as much as I hate Jessie hogging the spotlight, she and Plumeria better have a rivalry if Plumeria doesn't get ignored.

DatsRight

Quality > Quantity when it comes to the main cast. Pokemon included, Mallow's the only girl that needs a second cause Tsareena's well done. Popplio and Shiron need more work, that Dewpider can join Lana at any time though....

Tsareena isn't well done as much as they've just skipped over all her development with miracle evolutions. We still barely see her bond with Mallow or any other characters or how she helps Mallow with the restaurant, but it feels like we're supposed to assume that's been done with, she's fully matured and evolved now.

The problem is that nearly every change up with the boy's teams (and Lillie to some degree) had some future effect on their character agency and furthered their role, while with Mallow and Lana's that WAS the extra bit of role. They essentially skipped over any noteworthy use of them.

I do agree that a secondary could help if they bothered to make them a proper foil and have some step in their trainer's development, especially for the girls' Pokemon who are the blandest of the lot right now. But it's not just lack of limelight or change ups that's causing problems here, it really feels like they're not trying with them at all.

I hate how they handle Team Skull though; They show up after 30 episodes..... then go away..... 30 episodes later they come back and go away again. Team Rocket doesn't need to be the source of trouble every freaking time, Team Skull was made for that! And where's my boah?!

It's strange that they have TWO ineffectual teams this series, and demoting TR slightly and letting them have arc focus getting Z Moves and such would have been an ideal setup to make Team Skull take their old role as the jobber villains while Team Rocket play the progressively more threatening ones. But the writers seem unwilling to ditch their favourite plot devices just yet.

I can't begrudge Bourgain as much though, he's only appeared three episodes and at least he's the one villain this series that offers proper fights (ie. not one sided beatings) and some personal dilemmas for the twerps (the first episode had Kiawe defending his farm and motivated into training for his Z Move instead of DEMing it, the second had Ash and Kukui as tag team masked wrestlers, enough said). I will admit I just rather they put that effort in writing antagonists into Team Rocket or Skull though.

Last edited:

Jeal

Nope.
SM has been garbage since episode 1. I want it to end asap tbh.
I disagree. SM was good for the first episodes, until Hala's Grand Trial. After that, it was downhill with fillers.

Last edited:

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
It's a nice change of pace for the anime and I'm liking it so far. I like the Slice of Life elements which was a huge shock for me and many others since XY/XYZ went completely Shonen on us. The only complaints I have really is that the story can be a little boring at parts, I want Ash to be a bit more serious about training (but it seems he's going to be more serious with the upcoming Poni Trial, inevitable Alola League and the introduction of Hau and Gladion as rivals for Ash) and I want Ash and his friends to catch more Pokemon.

I disagree. SM was good for the first episodes, until Hala's Grand Trial. After that, it was downhill with fillers.
The Pokemon anime has always had pretty lackluster filler episodes so there's nothing new here (though I do feel that the Filler episode in OS, AG and DP are more interesting than in BW, XY and SM).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

I would say SM had gone downhill especially after aether arc, the first year of this series was much better than the second year which is quite irony aince all the previous seasons later years are much better than the first year, this happened probably because of too much fillers, lillie was not much in focus, lack of gladion screentime, other characters totally getting shafted. First year of SM was pretty good.

DatsRight

I don't think the filler itself that's the detriment, hell half as much filler in previous series worn my interest, SM's at least tries.

The problem is that it isn't delivering in actual continuity and progression. Everyone still has absurdly underdeveloped teams, the arcs are underwhelming and there's barely any goal focus.

Hammad80

I think you guys need to focus on one thing: the anime’s not fun to watch!
I forced myself to watch fillers last year and I just gave up now. Too many boring fillers. I can’t believe some of you would prefer watching idiotic stuff like them playing baseball, swimming, or cooking over action-filled battles, pokemon evolving, Ash traveling, etc.

And yea, it is far worse now than it was in the beginning. And guess what? People were already complaining how bad it was in the beginning, and others were telling them: “stfu! It’s only 30 episodes! It’s gonna get better”. LOL.

Also, everything is so dumbed down now, including Ash and the enemy team. Team Skull is a joke compared to team flare or galactic.

I either want SM to take a MASSIVE turn or end already. The few people that like this season are in the vast minority.