• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you enjoy the direction Pokemon Sun and Moon anime is moving in?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I think you guys need to focus on one thing: the anime’s not fun to watch!
I forced myself to watch fillers last year and I just gave up now. Too many boring fillers. I can’t believe some of you would prefer watching idiotic stuff like them playing baseball, swimming, or cooking over action-filled battles, pokemon evolving, Ash traveling, etc.
Whether or not the anime is fun to watch is subjective. I think it is (when I remember to watch the episodes).

DatsRight

I truthfully find SM much more fun in execution than most previous series, largely because it is not mechanical, it lets its characters move around freely according to their personality rather than being limited to some formula that regiments what they can and can't do, in filler OR development episodes.

Yes the main arcs have been lacklustre and actual progression has been dumbed down absurdly, but many of the cast members are thus trying to be memorable by their actual character. Ash by the time of BW and XY felt like a character who couldn't work in the limelight without either battling or distractions like COTD or Team Rocket. In SM he's often the highlight.

A dull and inflexible character can make even the most extravagant of plots a chore to watch, while a vibrant and versatile character can make even the most mundane of plots a joy.

Jeal

Yes the main arcs have been lacklustre and actual progression has been dumbed down absurdly, but many of the cast members are thus trying to be memorable by their actual character. Ash by the time of BW and XY felt like a character who couldn't work in the limelight without either battling or distractions like COTD or Team Rocket. In SM he's often the highlight.
Yeah, the highlight in being stupidly hitted every 3 minutes. Very cool.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
So just saw the new movie and I can say it is not the comedy or the focus on family that ruins it but the ugly art and the over done comedy. The new movie had comedy and we laughed but it was not forced comedy like in SUMO. That and the art while different than the main series is not horrible to look at it. It doesn't look like an Adult Swim show.SUMO is literally as ugly as Rick & Morty

Jeal

So just saw the new movie and I can say it is not the comedy or the focus on family that ruins it but the ugly art and the over done comedy. The new movie had comedy and we laughed but it was not forced comedy like in SUMO. That and the art while different than the main series is not horrible to look at it. It doesn't look like an Adult Swim show.SUMO is literally as ugly as Rick & Morty
Hey, Rick and Morty is very cool. SM is the opposite of that.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Rick & Morty is supposed to be ugly and grotesque, though, and I'd consider that a better show tha-

Wait, these two shows are a bit too far apart to compare.

DatsRight

Only the wild takes are that ugly, and intentionally so. The default art style if anything is pretty cute and chibi. Ash's movie art style if anything looks more off model and awkward than his SM one.

Yeah, the highlight in being stupidly hitted every 3 minutes. Very cool.

Yeah because TR filled in that role in every other series, while the twerps just did the same running gags over and over. :p

DatsRight

And...? SM comedy continues being bad and forced.

While I think the OS could be wittier at times (at least in the dub), I think SM does okay, and I appreciate it having a more self aware sense of humour, while the more serious series wouldn't dare point out their own plot flaws. Seriously besides the OS, SM's humour is probably the least forced and mechanical.

The slapstick is overdone a bit but not awful for me, the only thing I find a bit monotonous is that too much of it is directed towards Ash, and even then less in the sense that it's boring and more the others would benefit from having individual 'antics' more often (the shrinking episode really should have been Kiawe targeted, his personality was perfect for something like that, same for the Nebby teleporting episode maybe having more potential with Lillie).

Hammad80

Whether or not the anime is fun to watch is subjective. I think it is (when I remember to watch the episodes).
You’re right, it is subjective. But the vast majority of people I have seen have stated that they highly dislike the anime. This thread is one example of that majority opinion.
On other sources (such as Reddit, YouTube, etc), I have also seen most people saying it’s trash and boring to watch,
Now ofcourse, some people like it, but the vast majority don’t- and there’s no if’s, ands or buts about it.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
You’re right, it is subjective. But the vast majority of people I have seen have stated that they highly dislike the anime. This thread is one example of that majority opinion.
On other sources (such as Reddit, YouTube, etc), I have also seen most people saying it’s trash and boring to watch,
Now ofcourse, some people like it, but the vast majority don’t- and there’s no if’s, ands or buts about it.
Or... the people complaining on the internet are a vocal minority and most people are actually fine with it but feel no need to really talk about it. I just had a look at MyAnimeList, and out of the 10000+ people who have added the series to their list and rated it there, well over 60% gave it a 7/10 or above. Which is of course just one site, but it's a far bigger sampling size than vocally disgruntled commenters on Reddit, YouTube or this forum.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Youtube is the absolute worst source of sampling opinions, like ever. Possibly even worse than Twitter or Facebook. Social media algorithms aren't built to give you a clear overview of the opinions. They just present you with the stuff that you are most likely to interact with based on everything they know about you. More clicks = more advertisement money. It's as simple as that. If Youtube sees you primarily watch videos hating on the pokémon anime, it's most likely going to suggest more videos like that. It's not going to suggest the videos promoting it, it's statistically unlikely you'd click on those. And the comment section is exactly the same. It puts the comments you're most likely to interact with on top. And usually those are extreme opinions, usually hating, because they gain the most backlash (and therefore interaction).

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Youtube is the absolute worst source of sampling opinions, like ever. Possibly even worse than Twitter or Facebook. Social media algorithms aren't built to give you a clear overview of the opinions. They just present you with the stuff that you are most likely to interact with based on everything they know about you. More clicks = more advertisement money. It's as simple as that. If Youtube sees you primarily watch videos hating on the pokémon anime, it's most likely going to suggest more videos like that. It's not going to suggest the videos promoting it, it's statistically unlikely you'd click on those. And the comment section is exactly the same. It puts the comments you're most likely to interact with on top. And usually those are extreme opinions, usually hating, because they gain the most backlash (and therefore interaction).
Yeah, YouTube is really also a American centric website, so the audience is disproportionately higher on them. Japanese people barely comments there, unless there's videos which are exclusively written in their languages.

I think it's normal to complain/criticize about the issues of the anime, especially the drastic changes from XY to SM. But to me, I wanted to do something to get over with, as I was getting tired to criticize when it seems that the producers/writers won't do anything to fix it.

And yeah, I'm just opposed to the status quo, I didn't have problems with the silly faces/jokes, except for a few occasions when they're dragging the plot without progress.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

Or... the people complaining on the internet are a vocal minority and most people are actually fine with it but feel no need to really talk about it. I just had a look at MyAnimeList, and out of the 10000+ people who have added the series to their list and rated it there, well over 60% gave it a 7/10 or above. Which is of course just one site, but it's a far bigger sampling size than vocally disgruntled commenters on Reddit, YouTube or this forum.

100% this.

In fact, you can place me in that category of "fine with it but feel no need to really talk about it". Sometimes threads like this will pop up and I'll offer an opinion, but I've given up trying to defend Sun and Moon now because it only falls on death ears.. It's always the same users who swarm around and offer the same tired criticisms (The faces! Forced comedy! Slapstick! No battles!). I used to comment in the Episode section, generally with a lot of positive things to say about an episode, only to find myself alone in actually enjoying the show as a tide of negative reviews comes in. It wasn't very fun, so I stopped caring and just enjoyed the show at my own leisure. I'm willing to bet that others feel that way as well.

Also, some things just aren't up for debate or aren't easy to debate. When I look back on the last few posts and see people call Sun and Moon "ugly", I want to question it but how can I? It's a matter of taste, in the end. I don't understand how one can hold that view, but there's nothing I can do about that, so why waste the energy? In keeping silent, though, it looks like nobody is disagreeing, which lends itself to this "majority of people dislike SM!" idea. It's a false consensus.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
from what I've seen (comments on various sites, videos, etc.), it's a pretty even split between people liking it or hating it, maybe even 50/50, I've never seen such a divide in terms of the pokemon anime before (from what I saw, most people liked XY, around 70/30, and invert that for BW, it's a bit more muddy for previous series, but nowhere near as close as SM)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Really, it's caught between slice of life and the traditional OS-XY to be a master quest. Like the Church at Laodesea, being lukewarm is doing it zero favors.