• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you ever engage in any keep away ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
Ie. Where you purposefully ship together two characters you normally wouldn't so that one of them can't interfere with your OTP or pairing that you like more.

I admit I did cafemochasipping at one point when i was so sick of iris' character I just wanted to leave her foreveralone even if just in fanon.

Luthor

Ie. Where you purposefully ship together two characters you normally wouldn't so that one of them can't interfere with your OTP or pairing that you like more.

I admit I did cafemochasipping at one point when i was so sick of iris' character I just wanted to leave her foreveralone even if just in fanon.

for me i admit i am prone to support some shippings to stop from interference some times however i will support a ship to keep two characters i don't think fit togther apart.For example i think cilan is gay(personal opinion) as such i never eally much cared for wishfulshipping so i slowly became a NegaiShipper.

Flame Mistress

When I was still into PokéShipping, I guess PenguinShipping counts. Which epically failed, since I ended up shipping PearlShipping anyway =p

Like ship character A with character B because you hate character C and you don't want them around character A? that kind of thing?

I've never done that in this fandom but I've done that in another fandom.

Wolfgirl44

Ignitionshipper
All the time.

Love a character and don't want to be upset at them because of shipping reasons? Ship 'em with somebody else. Hate a character for reasons completely unrelated to shipping? Ship their love interest with anyone else. Creating shipping jigsaw puzzles out of my fandoms is practically my hobby.

I am Lu

I think pretty much everyone who is a shipper is guilty of this.

If someone ships Pearl or Ikari, they might pair Zoey and Kenny together. If someone ships Sommelier, they might pair Trip and Iris or Iris and Ash together. Those are just a few examples, but there are dozens more.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I used to. I shipped Dawn with Paul because I didn't know who else to ship her with besides Kenny, but my friend liked Ikarishipping better. I shipped Ash with Misty....so yeah. xD But now I don't give a crap. I just ship who I want to ship, not who I feel like I have to ship.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
I do that all the time, especially with contestshipping but after may returned she seem to care so little about him nor did she barly mention him, that really ended my hate towards contest since well it ended right there, but i ship dawn with kenny because other then ash, kenny seems like the likely person to ship dawn with.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Ehh, not really. It often is a very quick route to adopting a Pair the Spares mentality, which I really, really hate. Least of which because I don't feel any given character has to end up with another in the cast just to be happy.

Sometimes I wind up loving ships that normally are used to "remove the competition" for others -- for example, N/Black or White when paired with Cheren/Bianca -- but never for that reason. I prefer to like ships for their own merits, otherwise it just kind of seems like you're not liking the ship more than you're claiming to like it because it's convenient and gets everyone else out of the way. And that just isn't the point of shipping, you know?

gohan5

Irisboy
Hm, I use to avoid Contestshipping at all times since my OTP is Advanceshipping. I don't really do that anymore though. I wouldn't be a multishipper if i was, would i? XD

Same here, but it's not really the same thing as what's being asked. I might not support ContestShipping, but I sure didn't try to pair up Drew with someone else to keep him away from May. So no I don't really think I've done that before, unless halfheartedly with COTDs or whatever I didn't really care about.

Ehh, not really. It often is a very quick route to adopting a Pair the Spares mentality, which I really, really hate. Least of which because I don't feel any given character has to end up with another in the cast just to be happy.

Sometimes I wind up loving ships that normally are used to "remove the competition" for others -- for example, N/Black or White when paired with Cheren/Bianca -- but never for that reason. I prefer to like ships for their own merits, otherwise it just kind of seems like you're not liking the ship more than you're claiming to like it because it's convenient and gets everyone else out of the way. And that just isn't the point of shipping, you know?

Agreed, I really don't like the mentality that you have to pair a "threat" up with someone else to make your ship seem more plausible. Also, pairing a character that you don't like off with someone else because of a rival ship, anything with pair the spares, or that everyone needs to be paired off. I really don't like when people pair others off just so their ship doesn't feel as threatened to them because it's pretty petty and, as you said, they don't really support it.

Last edited:

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
I did at some points with Pearlshipping and I hated Misty at that time. So I shipped her with Tracey. But Now I really don't care on whom ended up with whom. Shipping shouldn't be taken too serious. Just because they would rather pair up people with others just to be taken out of the way is childish. Just because you hate ___shipping doesn't mean that you can't respect it.

Last edited:

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
I hated Flint when I first saw him so I shipped him with Ursula.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature

As a fan, it annoys me when I see people ship this way because I want to see what they like about it...not just to save their prized shipping.

Though, I think it's wise to remember that not everyone who ships a "pattern" has that same mindset...

fireball20

I agree with that the statement. I had called it, "Who's leftover?" and someone HAS to be with someone. Sometimes it can be outrageous.

Maybe when I was younger I might have done the keep away ships...but I honestly can't remember if and when I did. I usually just go on how characters interact (personalities, chemistry, etc.) or would interact.

(On a side note, I had to go look up what OTP meant! Makes sense I guess.)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't think I ever have, nothing comes to mind. I'm sure there is ONE keep-away pairing I did, or had a soft-spot for in a fandom at one point (I believe this is outside of Pokémon), but I don't know. I typically only use pairings I have a fondness for, or that I put together one day and they wouldn't let go. So... *shrugs* I think this may end up happening in the future, but I find this a way to be biased about a pairing without out-right confessing you're being biased. Because honestly, if you don't like a pairing, then don't bother bringing it up, or at least write it correctly without looking like a jerk. Unless it is relevant to the story--and the characters are kept in character, of course--there is no real reason to randomly pair up two characters just so you could have your preferred shipping in the end (or... beginning).

Encyclopika

The Queen
Hmmm, though there is a great possibility that flaming might occur, I'll keep this open, because it's worth talking about in this section.

HOWEVER - if any flat out flaming goes on, this will have to be closed. You are allowed to voice your opinions on other ships, that you like or dislike them, but flaming and bashing characters is obviously not permitted.

To answer the thread topic, no I never did that. I ended up liking shippings that could work in the same continuum (Pokeshipping, Contestshipping, Ikarishipping) but that didn't mean I was keeping one character away from another. I just don't multiship too much when it comes to my OTPs and characters. One character is paired with one, and that's all.

I do see, and very much dislike, this "keep away" in fanfiction, though. :S

BlueDragonfangirl

The only show I do that with is One Piece, I love Luffy/Hancock together and pair Sanji/Nami along with Franky/Robin, Usopp has Kaya waiting for him back at home so don't have to worry about him. Than again, Hancock is so in love with Luffy I don't think we really need to worry about that, maybe Sanji but Hancock I'm sure would rather feed a guy like that to the sharks I'm sure :p
Zoro is too in love with his swords to notice love, he doesn't count in any of this.

Pokemon, I just pair who I like and don't let other pairings bother me. I wasn't thrilled with Penguinshipping but as long as it didn't get actually in the way of Pearlshipping I was fine with it.

I am Lu

The thing with Pokemon is, is that since no ships are truly 100% canonized, it's not exactly necessary to keep characters away from each other since the series is mostly friendship-based. People still do it, but yeah...

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!

Hmm? well I guess you have a point. I used to make up ships for Ash so that the main girl ships would slow down a damn bit. I do it now with Wishfulshipping because Iris with Ash just makes me sick. So yeah I've done it. Don't tell me that no one else has either.

Status
Not open for further replies.