1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever play without your starter?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Azureth, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Azureth

Azureth Well-Known Member

My friend got me thinking when he said that whenever he plays Yellow he always deposits his Pikachu. So have you ever played through a game without your starter?

I never have, but I would like to try sometime.

2. DMerle

DMerle Guess who's back

Yeah, Black and White actually.

3. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

Always, but only the main story, B2 will be my first time without it.

4. 32er

32er TM87? I got TM32 :]

Yes, I did in my most recent playthrough of White ^_^

5. soundxfury

soundxfury Well-Known Member

Only in my Black version did I play without my starter. I usually always do because I love whichever starter I choose.
    But for this new Gen I didn't like any starter enough to actually use it beyond getting my C-Gear

6. Princess Raspberyl

Princess Raspberyl ~Shining One~

Like a few people before me...Black and White, 2nd playthrough. I did not like using Oshawott that much >.< I used Emboar and really liked it. Oshawott? Not so much. ><

7. Estellise

Estellise freeze!

Nope,never have,unless I didn't like it.

8. psyrose3

psyrose3 Well-Known Member

I usually use my starters. The only time I haven't is when my Meganium died in my HG Nuzlocke...

Come to think of it, I haven't touched my Samurott since beating White, which was a while ago.

9. MegaSerperior

MegaSerperior <--- My life

The story? No, but I usually deposit post-story for training purposes.

10. Watchog

Watchog Lv. 50

Yes, mostly. Only reason i use the starter is to get me through the game for the first time, then i'll just bank it or realese it.

11. I always use all three starters in my original runthrough of a game, ie: get both games, start witth he one i want and transfer the other two. I've been doing that since Emerald, but after my first runthrough i barely ever use a starter, unless im doing it for fun like using Treeko, Oshawatt and Typhlosion together for a unique combo. Normally i do have a favorite pokemon of any runthrough like Venipede who i treat as my starter for that runthrough.

12. YaDunGoofed

YaDunGoofed #TYBG

The only time I didn't was SoulSilver. Other than that game, I've always had at least one starter on my team. (Lucky for me, my friend and his friend happened to have a Tepig and Oshawott).

13. synthetica

synthetica A Failed Experiment

I usually use them until I beat the Elite Four for the first time.

14. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

No, I always use the starter for my team.

15. Jonah the Slaking

Jonah the Slaking Couch-bound Warrior

The only case in which I haven't used my Starter is in a random game of Ruby. I used nothing but Swellow. It was actually pretty cool, but I didn't get through the whole game (ironically I'd just beaten Winona when I had to abandon it).

Let's face it, the starters are awesome. It's just not a good idea to not use such a powerful asset.

16. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

Yes. Done it a lot with the pass games, and plan to do it with Black 2/White 2. I replay the games a lot, it eventually gets boring using the starter all the time for me.

17. _Snivy

_Snivy Lover

Never! I like Snivy too much ^_^

18. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

Yeah. I did on my most recent heartgold run, I used six eeveelutions instead, and most games, my starter gets boxed not long after beating the game.

19. RaZoR LeAf

RaZoR LeAf Night Terror

I like to play the game with different pokemon. So after I've played it three times, the fourth time wont have a starter. They're not essential parts of the game.

20. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama Fancy footwork

I have always have to keep my royal snake with me, but there's plenty room for Starmie always )