• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you ever restart your save file?

Cerex

My Platinum file has been the odd ball, because I never started it over. I started it and then decided to complete the dex and Trainer card and it evolved to being my favorite game file. Meanwhile, I've restarted my HG file a lot of times, over a lot of silly reasons in hindsight, like the name I chose for the player or even the rival.

I'm really looking to just stick with the current file I have. I suspect the reason I start over so much is that I just haven't connected with it as much as I did Plt, because at the time all I had was Plt, now I'm just going back and forth.

yeminied

I usually play through a game three times, restarting twice.

This can be applied to Pearl, Platinum and HeartGold. Diamond and SoulSilver only twice.

For a while Diamond was my main with all my Pokemon from the 3rd gen games however once I completed Platinum with a great team I completed the PokeDex so that is now my main team. It's a shame because I really want to restart the game but I have to wait till I get Black and White so I can then choose a main game and keep all good Pokes on there.

I really like restarting my games because I get to relive all the great times and also experience something I missed either because of my youth or rushing through the game. It really allows me to enjoy Pokemon all that much more because of the constant thrill of completion. I will always have at least two game going at once so that way I never get bored of them.

Lord_Kain

Just call me Kain
nope, not on any of them.

but for D/P/Pt i can use a neat little device and back up my saves, so ive played a few files on them. but unfortunately it doesnt work with HG/SS :(

Sir-Aero

Soul of Silver
D/P - Yes.
SS - No
3rd Gen - Yes. all of the time.

Jorah

What do I put here?
No, I have never restarted my game from what I can remember. I certainly didn't restart Platinum since I had a Mew in that game and I migrated a good chuck of my Pokémon from LeafGreen. The only time I would restart my game would be when I don't really have anything too special in my current game and I couldn't care less if I never got those things back.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I did twice. One in my pokemon diamond, when I was bored, and one in my other diamond that my friend gave to me.

Singularity

One Type Trainer
Yes - a lot. I love going through using one type but more often than not I decide I want to do a different type before I beat the elite four. These days are behind me though as I've been raising an ice type team on Soul Silver and have put in 67 hours in the finding, breeding and training of those pokemon (see in-game team rate thread named Ice Type Gym Leader in-training).

I also just found my Pokemon Diamond after ages of looking and am thinking what type team I should go for. I'm leaning towards Steel or Grass - two of my three favourite types.

Ferrari94

Dark Trainer
Yer I do. Not very often but if i get bored and need something to do i might restart one of the games.
But I don't see myself restarting any anytime soon because I know if i do then i wont complete it. Actually i still havent completed pearl since i restarted it.

cazatron

i had no idea until recently that people didn't restart their games, i do it CONSTANTLY, regardless of what pokemon/items/achievements i have.
usually i get to the battle frontier, realize i can't beat any of the frontier brains, mess around in the battle factory for ages then restart another game, lather rinse repeat.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
No. It pains me too much to lose the badges. Ever since someone in the anime told Ash 'They are gifts given to you by your pokemon to show how much they care for you...'

Yeah, thanks a lot for the guilt trip. Now I can NEVER restart TT_____TT

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
I do restart it a lot when I get bored after completing a game, I could finish it in a week and unfortunately, I don't have a motivation to like complete the battle frontier in platinum so I restart it. I restarted my SS once but I haven't defeated Red yet..

Krizor

Evil Genius
Platinum is my main game for the time being, so I won't restart that one until the third 5th Gen game is released and I can transfer everything over to it.

But all my other games I restart whenever I feel like playing through them again.

Aquanova

Im never restarting Soul Silver 1 because it has Yellow Forest on it. I restarted HG 1 w/ YF just after it's event ended to get a shiny Totodile. Big mistake. I want a shiny Dialga, but dont am too far in Diamond to reset it. I reset my Pearl cause I wanted my own name as my Trainer ID, i may restart Soul Silver 2 after getting my enigma stone lati, but i was using it to get a Sinjoh legend so i probably wont for a long time

iv restarted my Diamond to work on a better team, once that's done and i get everything i have on Platinum(and that's a hole lot of stuff) transfered over to Diamond ill restart my Platinum... the team was good, i just need to EV train(which i am still learning on, so any tips are helpfull) them before getting them to 100 this time. lol

7 tyranitars

hg is my main game I won't restart it also I got my very first caught shiny besides gyarados on it the others I care a little bit less about

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
ive restarted all my pokemon games many times, usually just because i feel like using different pokemon, but sometimes out of boredom.

In fact i dont think ive made it to snowpoint at all in platinum ever. i shall never restart pearl though as it is my storage system.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Nope, probably for the fact that most of my current Pokemon games contain my rare, irreplaceable pokemon...

richi3f

Bug Catcher
A week or two ago I restarted Diamond, I just beat E4 and I'm preparing to catch Heatran and Cresselia. I have SoulSilver (all my valuable Pokémon are there) and Platinum (haven't caught legendaries, including Darkrai) too, but I won't restart them until Black and White are out.

I restart my 3rd generation games all the time. I'm about to enter the Victory Road in Emerald!