• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you ever think that a PokeGirl/third wheel will ever travel with Ash to a second region?

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
For example like how Misty travelled with Ash to Johto while also having had travelled with him through Kanto and similar to how Brock did OS-DP. I do have a feeling eventually they’ll do it (I’m hoping Lillie travels with Ash more since in the OG games she sets off on a journey of her own after gaining confidence within herself). Anyway do you think this will ever happen again? Also which character did you want this to happen to?

DatsRight

I suppose any formula can be broken now (except the most obvious one). I don't think it's probable since both characters sticking was a testament to how short a lasting appeal said characters often turn out to have, but if they ever have something big underway or if one of the games actually does something planned that goes in hand with it (eg. one of the companions it adapted being a main character in two gens), it could happen.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Misty & Brock got a pass to travel more than one region because at the time the franchise success were being tested. For Misty, the female game protagonists weren't etablished until Gen 3 with May. While for Brock, he was a memorable companion until he become stale for not doing much in DP and eventually being replaced by Cilan as the next 3rd wheel.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt it unless they're somehow involved in the next generation games as well, which is highly unlikely now.

Slapstick-Olivia

Hmmmm...... it could happen. But my gut tell me, that we will see a brand new Pokémon girl next generation. The girls have kinda a same purpose like the Pokémon themselves in the anime. They serve to be something new and fresh for the audience each time.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't think it's going to happen again. People still treat Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto as one region by referring to the whole thing as OS. Brock got lucky because they needed a third wheel and the writers didn't want to think up a new one for each region until BW.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't see it happening. At one point I did think XY would break the cycle and allow Serena to follow Satoshi to Alola given her crush, but since that didn't happen, I doubt any of her predecessors have a chance.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
As much as I would love to see a Pokégirl and/or a third wheel character travel with Ash to a second region, I don't think it will happen. The Pokégirls and the third wheels are the fresh faces of each new generation/series, so as long as there is a female player character or a supporting character who can be adapted into the role of the Pokégirl, and as long as there are supporting characters who can be adapted into the role of the third wheel, I think the writers will continue to switch out Ash's companions every region.

However, if a Pokégirl did travel with Ash to a second region, then I would want it to be Lillie. Her goal is not region-specific, and I think her story could continue even after the end of SM.

SinnohEevee

No, they will always want to promote new game characters. The show is just a big commercial for the games anyways.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It is never going to be the pokegirl that's for certain, emphasis on the in case we ever get a girl as the third wheel
A third wheel at least has a shot because they don't really have goals restricted to their region apart from Clemont. Still salty af that Cilan didn't get to go to Kalos with Ash, it was made for him....

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
May also explored a second region. Why has everyone forgotten she went around the Kanto region with Ash entering Contests? Anything is possible at this point and Lillie may go with Ash to explore another region.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
May also explored a second region. Why has everyone forgotten she went around the Kanto region with Ash entering Contests? Anything is possible at this point and Lillie may go with Ash to explore another region.
But the Battle Frontier was still part of the AG series. I suppose rather than "Will a Pokégirl/third wheel character travel with Ash to a second region?" a better question for this thread would be "Will a Pokégirl/third wheel character continue to travel with Ash for another series?"

nickdt

No, they will always want to promote new game characters. The show is just a big commercial for the games anyways.

Except that gen 5 and gen 7 didn't have the game starting girl (Gen 7 can still appear). So thats a non-argument at this point.

DatsRight

Except that gen 5 and gen 7 didn't have the game starting girl (Gen 7 can still appear). So thats a non-argument at this point.

They did have a girl representing their respective gen however.

I feel like Brock got away with it until Gen 4 part due to the consistency between OS-DP and also because the third wheel male was more superfluous compared to the female companion at that point (they still are most of the time, but BW-onwards they make at least a token effort).

For one of the main cast to make a long-term return I think they would need to be relevant to the upcoming game, and even then they would likely want to have SOMETHING for them to do, so if their arc is mostly done they'll likely pass.

I did feel like the customisable character gimmick in the games was some sort of workable clause, maybe why some thought Serena might return since she'd already demonstrated it once with an attire change mid-series, and the SM avatar could be made to look reasonably like her in the games (or at least no less so than the male PC does Ash), but thus far it hasn't been used.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The anime still featured new game characters. BW featured Iris and Cilan, both Gym Leaders in Gen V. SM features Lillie, one of the main characters in the Gen VII games, and four Trial Captains—Kiawe, Sophocles, Mallow, and Lana—as main supporting characters. So it's not a non-argument.

nickdt

The anime still featured new game characters. BW featured Iris and Cilan, both Gym Leaders in Gen V. SM features Lillie, one of the main characters in the Gen VII games, and four Trial Captains—Kiawe, Sophocles, Mallow, and Lana—as main supporting characters. So it's not a non-argument.

While this is true, they aren't main characters in the games, since you beat them and then never see them again (Doesn't go for SUMO, but towards previous series). They didn't even bring in Hilda, who is debatably more popular than May (Depends on who you ask), but went with Bianca as regular (Who isn't popular at all) or they brought in anime exclusives like Stephan, Luke and Cameron (Could have replaced one of them with Hugh or Cheren as regulars instead and with Cheren they could have given gym leader build-up eventually).

Thats the issue with the anime: Too many anime-exclusive characters while game characters are getting overlooked (Hau and Moon in SUMO for example and Tierno and Trevor in XY, despite the inital build-up for Tierno too become a rival)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:

She only stayed in the cast for one saga though, which is why she isn't counted. Frankly, given that Shinou had Contests, I'm still somewhat shocked that she was replaced by Hikari in DP.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
But the Battle Frontier was still part of the AG series. I suppose rather than "Will a Pokégirl/third wheel character travel with Ash to a second region?" a better question for this thread would be "Will a Pokégirl/third wheel character continue to travel with Ash for another series?"
I feel like even that is weird messaging because going by that logic Misty didn’t travel to “another series” with Ash since Johto is apart of OS but she did travel to another region with Ash.

She only stayed in the cast for one saga though, which is why she isn't counted. Frankly, given that Shinou had Contests, I'm still somewhat shocked that she was replaced by Hikari in DP.
Weren’t people still butthurt about Misty depaturing? They probably got rid of May to be “fair” and not anger fans.

Jeal

I feel like even that is weird messaging because going by that logic Misty didn’t travel to “another series” with Ash since Johto is apart of OS but she did travel to another region with Ash.

Weren’t people still butthurt about Misty depaturing? They probably got rid of May to be “fair” and not anger fans.
No, it's obvious the reason why she left, to promote the new female player character Hikari. No point in keeping Haruka of RSE in the DPPT anime.

About Misty, the Johto saga can be counted like a different series, just with the same characters.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
People would still be butthurt when their favorite companions are written off but kept Ash for every series. As for the fans being angry, I doubt the producers/writers would care after they made Ash failed at the league and Serena being denied to dance with Ash at the party in XY(Z), despite all the hype that comes from them.