1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever want a subplot of romance in the anime again?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sham

Sham On the right road

To be honest I was not all that big on Contestshipping because I found Drew obnoxious and irritating and what they did in XY was horrendous so I can live without it. If it’s something subtle like Kenny and Dawn then I can tolerate it.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

No thanks, not with the way Serena turned out.

LilligantLewis and Folirage like this.
  3. ZeldaMusou

ZeldaMusou Banned

They won’t do it with Ash again at least since we won’t have another Serena type crush ever, it’s not something you can repeat. Serena’s crush was ok if so much of her character wasn’t centered around it.

The reason the May/Drew ship worked is they were already rivals and May didn’t fall for Drew or have a crush on him immediately. She doesn’t blush over him until the hoenn Grand Festival and that was around the time she realized she might like him and that was at the end of an entire region. Drew started off jerkish but he gets nicer as AG progresses and you could tell he was teasing her on purpose.

The Kenny crush was kinda abandoned because Kenny was unpopular in general and it went nowhere.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  4. Sham

Sham On the right road

Actually Dawn ended up confessing her feelings to Kenny.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  5. J.Agera

J.Agera We will be surpassing our dreams!

Yes, if done right of course.

Uh.. when? She called him "handsome" right? That was it.

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  6. AznKei

AznKei Competing against players in Match Masters. XD

No, especially not with Ash. Pikachu is more important than any girls he encounters. For anyone else, probably.

7. Sham

Sham On the right road

Having a love interest for Pikachu could be interesting

8. ZeldaMusou

ZeldaMusou Banned

They did that with Dawn’s Buneary

9. Sham

Sham On the right road

Yeah but that was mostly one sided.

10. ZeldaMusou

ZeldaMusou Banned

Technically every main girl had a shipping subplot except Iris and the SM girls, and Dawn just rejected every guy who liked her like Conway, kenny, etc. Zoey and Dawn was probably meant to be a thing but lesbian stuff in kids cartoons way back in 2006-2010 wouldn’t be able to fly. Gay rights weren’t what they are now.

11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

Not really, don't care for romance stuff myself.

Sham, Pokegirl Fan~ and Dragalge like this.
  12. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

If it's done right and adds to narrative/makes sense, sure.

If it's done purely for views/marketing, nay way.

Can get my romance/comedy hit from Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.

13. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Not for the main characters, they're too young which makes it really weird. Something like Kukui and Burnet I'm fine with though.

14. Power Up

Power Up ...

A romance subplot on the level of AmourShipping is probably not going to happen again since it was a very specific set of circumstances that allowed for such a unique situation to occur

15. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

No, I rather not see it.

But they will do it again and going by their track record when it comes to recycling ideas, the next time around will likely be better done.

Sham likes this.
  16. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

Not really, I find shipping between those 10 years cringe-y and creepy especially from us( older side of audience). I mean if kids find it cute, that's cool, they are their main audience anyway.

17. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

No.
    The writers proved they suck at writing romance.

18. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

To be fair, it was their first attempt at actually writing one rather than just the random hints they'd usually give toward it. That said, they definitely should have tried harder. Who knows, maybe this is just a Western thinking vs Japanese thinking difference that's too ingrained to be able to see where the other side is coming from.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  19. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

Sure I would! It all depends on how it’s done, though. I’d prefer it if the romance develops over the course of the series rather than have it begin before the series, and I’d like it if it’s not completely one-sided.

Sham and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  20. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

We've had subplots of romance in the anime multiple times before XY (ash/misty, ash/anabel, may/drew, dawn/kenny) they were just more subtle so as long as they're done subtly, I don't mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.