1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel obliged to support canon ships?

Discussion in 'Alternative Shipping' started by ChloboShoka, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emiko-Gale

Emiko-Gale Well-Known Member

Nope! I love my crack ships, it doesn't matter if they might never happen. I don't deny the canon...But sometimes some canon ships don't feel so canon to me.

I do love some canon ships though, but it takes a lot for me to love them. I want canon ships that keep me guessing and for me to ask for more. A lot of canon ships I dislike feel forced, shallow, or just boring.

2. Tyrantrum

Tyrantrum Well-Known Member

Well if the pairing makes sense for them personality-wise, I support the canon ships. But if I can see them having greater chemistry with another character then I would support a ship in that direction. But it doesn't extend to just that...if I see that the relationship the character has is not potentially romantic I tend to exclude the possibility of a ship in that direction.

3. aloasa

aloasa The sound of drums

My Naruto OTP is NarutoxTayuya.....so no, even if it's never going to happen I still love the pairings I ship more than canon, I mean I still to this day support Harry and Hermiony and even Harry and Luna

4. Well, yes. When I ship, I back my pairings with sufficient evidence AND pay attention to the story. Though I must say I was quite surprised to see that Harry ended up with Ginny. I don't exactly know how they developed a relationship like that (I don't pay enough attention to Harry Potter and am not really a fan, I just watched the movies and read some of the first book). Naturally, I thought Harry would end up with Hermione.

If there is no real canon ship in a franchise, I just back it up with evidence and ship it.

5. No, I support what I want. I'm a huge PokeShipper and don't support any rival shippings of it, and if any rival shipping would become canon, I'd still remain a PokeShipper.

However, I mostly do like shippings that are hinted at in the anime. From the seven Pokemon shippings I truly consider myself a supporter of, four (Poke-, Luck-, Handyman- and ContestShipping) are very strongly hinted at in the anime:
    - Ash x Misty
    - Ash's Pikachu x Misty's Togetic
    - Brock x Lucy
    - Tracey x Daisy
    - Drew x May
    - Zoey x Dawn
    - Cilan x Iris

However, I support these shippings because I genuinely like them, not because four from the seven are hinted at by the writers. Yes, those hints convinced me, but if I'd see the hints and not genuinely like it, I wouldn't support it.

6. SerenaForTheWin

SerenaForTheWin Yusarin >_<

i support canon ships whatever happens at the end either ending together or not

7. Skylander Sylveon

Skylander Sylveon Top Coordinator

Only if I like 'em. If Sasuke and Sakura turned out to be canon, I'd be kinda peeved. I don't really care if they're canon or not but it's kinda influential, y'know?

8. BubChan

BubChan Wonderwall

No, there's canon ships that i didn't support, Like Hikari X Manaka (Nagi no asukara), i think you should ship whatever you want :)

9. Mizz Nikki

Mizz Nikki Operations Director

I'll support them but only if I really like them. I know a lot of people shipped Franticshipping from the manga and that's a canon ship they confessed but I never really got into it, tbh. But then again, that's just me.

I'm a Cavaliershipper but even if Gary and Dawn didn't end up with each other, I'd still remain a Cavaliershipper.

10. Hakajin

Hakajin Obsessive Shipper

No. I do tend to support canon ships, because I need interaction and chemistry to get into one... and naturally authors tend to put the most interaction and chemistry into the canon ship. Also, it really bums me out when something I ship gets trumped by something else becoming canon; I know the characters aren't real, but the emotional side of my brain will not be convinced that this is true. I'll try to like the canon ship to increase my enjoyment of whatever the work is... but it's not like I feel obligated.

11. Scarlet Tactician

Scarlet Tactician Lazy, But Here

I usually at least find the canon ship cute. I can't think of one franchise where I loathed a canon ship (though none of my NOTPs have ever really become canon). That said, they aren't always my OTP. I generally ship based on interactions (or headcanon interactions in things like the Pokémon games), which usually involves the canon OTP for obvious reasons but not always. Sometimes I find a character's interactions with a non-canon partner more endearing.

12. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Did anybody outside of Japan support Matt X Sora? Sometimes the canon pairing sucks.

13. Murder Doll

Murder Doll Button Presser

Not really, I mean most shippings defy any sort of logic, so I don't really feel the need to constrain myself to ones that are cannon.

14. OfCorsola

OfCorsola Brock and Misty!

nope. I was a hard shipper of Seddie in iCarly, and Creddie turned out to be canon, but still didn't ship. I also don't ship starfire and robin in teentitans either. I don't ship alot of canon ships

15. Kuvario

Kuvario I am who I am...because of them.

Hell no, excuse my language. But I don't ever feel like I've got to support only canon shippings. I mean all of my major shippings I support are in Pokémon. And would the writers ever make a ship canon? Nope, so I don't feel like I have to. I only support ships I find cute, interesting, or have good chemistry.

16. Mudkip Oshawott Piplup

Mudkip Oshawott Piplup Krazy KrazyShipper

I used to believe that you HAD to ship canon ships. But back then I was younger, dumber, didn't care much about shipping nor know what it was, and I wasn't in this fandom. (Hey, I was only 5, 6, or 7-ish!)

17. Lilananas

Lilananas Empress of Lazyness

I never really cared if ships are canon or not. If they are, good for me, but if they aren't, I just imagine headcanons where they end together.

18. I've never felt like I had to support canon ships. There are a few ships I support that are canon (and only one of them I absolutely love, the others I'm just like "Yeah, they're cute" ), but the majority of my favorite ships are all non-canon and will probably stay that way unfortunately. I can hope though!

19. Victorian Rush

Victorian Rush September 10, 2010 - October 12th, 2019

I've never felt like I had to support canon ships, tbh. Sure, there are some ships that I like that are canon but majority of the ones that I do support aren't. If I like the two characters together, I'll ship them together. If I don't, then I won't.

20. MonMonCandie

MonMonCandie Radio - On Air!

I don't feel obligated to ship canon ships, though normally I do just because of how the story unfolds and how the characters in the ship have interacted or if the context is there. I don't mind it. If I like it, I like it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.