• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you feel the need to catch them all when you play?

gentwoer

Playing gen 1 sure because A. 151 Pokemon is a reasonable goal without taking too much of my time B. I can do it without trading thanks to the Ditto/Trainer Escape/Item Duplication glitch

The rest? I really don't care and rarely catch more than 20 -50 ish Pokemon in a game. Usually rotating Pokemon as needed.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Not necessarily all of them, but I do want to get as much as I can reasonably catch

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I feel that way just a little, even though i know it would be tedious.

Not gonna lie on this one :p :)

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I'll try to catch anything new I encounter. Any ones really hard to obtain i'll devote separate time to focus on getting.

But only if I actually plan on using them. Catching them ALL is something i'm just not gonna do...

Cat's Eye Draco

Not really. Sometimes I may go on a catching spree if I'm in the Safari Zone or have a lot of time to kill, but mostly I just catch whatever Pokemon I plan to use.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I used to make an effort to catch every mon available in each area. These days it's just the ones I happen to encounter while I look for the ones I like/will use

Leonhart

Imagineer
As I'm very picky about completing all the main tasks in the games, yes, I do feel personal pressure to capture every Pokemon. It's not necessary of course, but I'd rather finish my Zukan before I move on to another side quest in the core games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Never.

Battling and training have always been my joys in playing the game. I usually catch no more than the pokemon I want to battle with, and that's it. Personally, I've never seen much of an incentive in filling a PokéDex other than sheer satisfaction, which isn't enough for me. But who knows? That could always change in the future.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Yes and no, it depends on my mood sometimes I want to catch everything in sight, sometimes I don't.

As for completing the Pokedex, not really I only made an effort to complete it once and that was in Pokemon Sun

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I try to get as much as I can so that whenever I want to complete the Dex, then I'll have less Pokémon to catch. But I don't always use the Pokémon I catch anyways.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
In the newer games where it's actually possible to catch 'em all? Yes, oh, absolutely. That shiny charm is pretty good incentive as well.

For older games, I would try to catch any and every Pokemon that I could, but since there weren't enough evolutionary stones, events, or the ability to search for a Pokemon in GTS by typing its name, it would just be more trouble than it was worth.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I only catch them all nowadays because it's not next to impossible and I need that Shiny Charm

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i do make a point to catch all normal/non-legendary pokemon in every game. the legend/events entries are situational to each gen/game if i can bother to spend the time to get them all. i got them all in gen6 X/OR but cant be bothered to do so for gen7.

Kirby Dragons

Catch 'em all? No. Catch every Pokémon I don't have? If you don't, you aren't playing the game right.

abby_ella

I came very, very close to completing the Pokedex once back in Gen II. Usijg Silver, Red, and Blue, and my neighbor's Game Boy and link cable, I had everything that I couldn't get in Gold directly, but never actually finished through on that. Since my Gold version cartridge stopped working long ago, I doubt I'll ever get that close again.

M.P.

Retired
I usually catch all the Pokemon I can find, especially the new ones. If finding some rarer Pokemon takes too long, I move on and try to catch it later if I feel like it.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I usually don't feel like bothering and just catch whichever Pokemon I want to instead. However, in Pokemon Sun, I actually filled the Alola Dex for the Shiny Charm. Not sure if it was worth it since I realized I don't have motivation to hunt for shinies.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Whenever I start a new game I just capture the Pokemon I'll want to use for that particular playthrough.

Fact is I've never completed the Pokedex and probably never will.

Orphalesion

I once completed the Pokedex back on the original Blue.

Then came Gold and Silver with Celebi and I was a little kid living in the middle of nowhere without any hopes of ever getting to one of those handout events they did back when. So I decided not to care about completing the Pokedex anymore and have kept it that way. I catch or trade for the Pokemon I like and want to use and everything else is of little importance to me. Especially now that you can read the Pokedex entries online.

Also even in Blue I was pretty disappointed that there's no real acknowledgement from Prof. Oak even if you have filled the Pokedex.
And at the same time I started disliking Legendaries, since I found it silly that pretty much everybody had those supposed "one of a kind" Pokemon and stopped using them, usually just catching them to trade for other stuff.

abby_ella

I once completed the Pokedex back on the original Blue.

Then came Gold and Silver with Celebi and I was a little kid living in the middle of nowhere without any hopes of ever getting to one of those handout events they did back when. So I decided not to care about completing the Pokedex anymore and have kept it that way. I catch or trade for the Pokemon I like and want to use and everything else is of little importance to me. Especially now that you can read the Pokedex entries online.

Also even in Blue I was pretty disappointed that there's no real acknowledgement from Prof. Oak even if you have filled the Pokedex.
And at the same time I started disliking Legendaries, since I found it silly that pretty much everybody had those supposed "one of a kind" Pokemon and stopped using them, usually just catching them to trade for other stuff.

I was also a kid in the middle of nowhere, but my neighbor had gotten Celebi from a Nintendo event. We did the glitch where you shut on of the systems off at the right time and then you both have the Pokemon.

Yeah, that's cheating, but c'mon, it was Celebi.