• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you feel the need to catch them all when you play?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I've stopped trying to catch them all ever since I lost my hg which I only needed 102 Pokemon to complete the national pokedex. I already completed the Johto pokedex with the Sinnoh evolutions of certain Pokemon like Togekiss in it.

I just only capture the Pokemon I use in battle now.

Yes, in fact, that's not even enough for me. I Simply need a living dex, have been doing that since gen 3. Currently it's complete (aside from Zeraora) including all unown and vivillon forms.

Whenever a new gen comes out I'm always annoyed when my living dex isn't complete. Gen 7 was especially troublesome with its evolving non breedable legends like Cosmog.

Sprinter1988

I usually try to catch everything, but it never lasts. Loading up any game set in the Kanto region usually shows that I would catch just about everything up until about Vermillion City, then its just a couple of catches here and there, like Vulpix or Growlithe outside Celadon and a Gastly in Pokemon tower. Then I go mad in the Safari Zone trying to catch everything there, then I just don't catch things after that.
Completing the national pokedex in any region is hard work, especially if there isn't a reliable way to grind against NPC trainers through using things like the vs Seeker.

Friendshipper

Gotta Love 'Em All
I used to catch every available and non-legendary pokemon, but I'm not really sure now.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I try to, but mainly I try to play it for fun more so. Especially now. I try not to sweat not getting everything.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My compulsion makes me catch as much as reasonable

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ever since they introduced the shiny charm in B2W2 I've been wanting to complete the pokedex, or at least as much as possible in Alola in case they have a Diamond/Pearl remake soon and I can transfer pokemon over. I really get a sense of accomplishment from finishing it, even with the fewer pokemon needed for Alola.

Kage-Pikachu

I feel the need to catch every NEW Pokemon when I play a game. I generally play the first version trying to capture all the new Pokemon and using only new Pokemon on my teams. When I play the second game in the pair I use my favorites and I don't worry too much about capturing them all. I use the first game to give each new Pokemon a fair chance. It's pointless to me to ONLY use 6 Pokemon when playing a new game for the first time.

Scammel

I feel absolutely no need to do so, and haven't for years. So much of filling the 'dex is simply busy work, with no real skill or gameplay involved - it's basically grinding, except you're not even really trying to battle.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
While I was still playing XY, I completed the Dex. But, Trading for bank balls and personal favorites killed that quickly. Haven’t cared to catch them all since then and I probably won’t. I just hoard legendaries when I go through old games, those are the only ones I feel the need to “catch them all” when I play.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Depends on the purpose of the play-through, but I usually do not move on from an area until I catch everything I can up to that point. Completing as much of the pokédex as possible has been one of my main goals while playing for quite a long time.
If I'm playing a Nuzlocke, SBQ, or just rushing through elements of the story for double shiny hunting specific pokémon, then obviously I don't try to catch everything.

Manchee

extra toasty
The only time I ever felt the need to do so was in X. With all of the connectivity between games, wanting to have everything in 3D in Pokémon-Amie, and Pokémon Bank, it was a goal of mine to see everything look brand new and have more personality. I already owned a lot of Pokémon across all of my older games, so to bring them all into X was a lot of fun and there weren't too many left that I needed in my Dex after doing that, so I figured why not? Haha

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
At the moment I'm trying to complete the Alola Pokedex in Ultra Sun. By doing so I'm hoping it'll provide me a sense of accomplishment and closure for Generation 7.

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
I really like the idea of catching them all and filling up the pokedex but i've yet to actually complete it in any game. My friend completed the pokedex in Ultra Sun and Omega Ruby pretty easily, so i'd probably try to do it in one of those games, or maybe in one of the gen 1 games, like mentioned earlier since its a reasonable number to capture. Usually during my play throughs of games I don't bother worrying about catching everything I encounter, I save any attempt usually for after I beat the game.

Steven of Venus

From Another Planet
Oh no, the entire set of each icon in the Pokedex wrapped up into the complete continuum would bore and drag me down in chains. Regardless, the guidebooks can give you the full luster of every form imaginable.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I completed the Alolan Pokedex a few days ago and feel satisfied I was able to achieve such a goal. Do I want to do it again? No, I figure completing the regional dex once per generation is enough.

Completing the National Pokedex would be an even bigger task. Figure my time and effort could be used elsewhere.

AuroraBeam

I have never had the desire to complete it in any game, especially considering any event 'mons I lack. My interest in most of the games dips considerably once I beat the champion usually.

Cool Rafe

Cold & Anti-social
Having played the main series of Pokémon for close to 2 decades now, USUM is my first time completing the Pokedex. Never was I interested in capturing all of them as I didn't see the need to waste so much time on games despite my love of Pokémon.

Ariki

I’m currently working on completing the National dex in and creating a living Pokedex. Now that the next hardcore rpg games aren’t due out until 2019, i feel like ive got more time to work on the national dex. So far, 346 Pokemon are registered as caught in the national dex