• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you find Ash's earliest English Voice in the Kanto saga a bit...well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arceusgamer14

Okay I was watching the Pokémon Kanto saga DVD collection to help spice up my Pokémon mania on the original Pokémon Red gameplay for the Gen VI anticipation ritual from playing one game from Gen I to Gen V retracing how the Pokémon games evolved... well you get the idea by the looks on my signature. but enough Gen Play talk, while I was watching the Season One episodes with finishing Pokémon Emergency and Ash catches a Pokémon, I find Ash's 4kids voice in the early episodes a bit quite odd in comparison with his other voices during the 4kids era, I mean looking back at Ash's old Season One voice... he sounds like a noob back in his early days as a Novice Trainer! Not to mention that Jame's & Meowth's (Well this was before Maddie voiced Meowth) was a bit odd when you look back at them!
Do you guys find Ash's old voice in the early Kanto episodes pretty odd now compare to his newer 4kids era seasons Voice?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Okay I was watching the Pokémon Kanto saga DVD collection to help spice up my Pokémon mania on the original Pokémon Red gameplay for the Gen VI anticipation ritual from playing one game from Gen I to Gen V retracing how the Pokémon games evolved... well you get the idea by the looks on my signature. but enough Gen Play talk, while I was watching the Season One episodes with finishing Pokémon Emergency and Ash catches a Pokémon, I find Ash's 4kids voice in the early episodes a bit quite odd in comparison with his other voices during the 4kids era, I mean looking back at Ash's old Season One voice... he sounds like a noob back in his early days as a Novice Trainer! Not to mention that Jame's & Meowth's (Well this was before Maddie voiced Meowth) was a bit odd when you look back at them!
Do you guys find Ash's old voice in the early Kanto episodes pretty odd now compare to his newer 4kids era seasons Voice?

Veronica was only 18 when she started voicing Ash in Kanto, the same age as Sarah in Battle Frontier.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I can't hear a difference Veronica to me at least sounded the same thought the whole first 8 seasons. I even tried watching early Kanto and AG and my ears can't hear a change compared to let'
s say Dan green as Yugi's change

Veronica was only 18 when she started voicing Ash in Kanto, the same age as Sarah in Battle Frontier.
Oh jeez she is like 36 now. Wow the series is old lol

*~Silver*~

I noticed a change, but I felt like it made Ash even more of a character. Veronica grew into playing him, and it was amazing because when she got better at the part Ash was maturing as a trainer, and it really showed some good characterization for me.

I'm really weird though, so... xD

Bluelatios*

Yes, it was definitely a little different during the early Kanto, not just because Veronica was still fitting in her role, but the voice directors were still deciding how they wanted it. I agree with Silver though, it somehow makes sense character-wise. TRio took some time as well. Rachael had Misty more or less figured out from the start. Brock's wasn't quite himself until after his debut episode, but he was of course a super serious gym leader until leaving with Ash, allowing Eric to open him up a bit more.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
It does sound weird (compared to how he would sound later on), but still sounds better than Sarah's voice...okay, you saw this one coming XP

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

O_O Holy cow, really? *mind blown*

Anyway, I have noticed the gruffness of Ash's voice in the earlier episodes, but honestly, they were still growing into their parts (and I realize now I'm just parroting Silver here). It'd be obvious that over time, when they got more and more comfortable and familiar with their characters, their tone of voice would change over time. It honestly feels a bit realistic to me when it's a gradual change in tone of voice because it gives the illusion of growing up... in a way. It's possible 4KIDS thought there was only going to be one season as well, so the whole "voices changing over time" made a lot of sense because the characters were growing up.

Sure didn't last long, though.

James had a different voice for the first several episodes, right? Eventually Eric Stuart got a hold of him I think right before the episode when he got the Magikarp (I remember he started sounding really campy by that time). So quite a few characters had voice changes during the first season.

sandy ketchum

veronica sounded a bit forced in the beginning. she dubbed the first episode and then she was fired and then they again called her back and they redubbed the first episode. her voice felt more comfortable after a few episodes. she then settled down to ash voice. she said that ash was her hardest role as she had to learn not to hurt her throat while doing his voice.

Thriller

Its almost time
Veronica was just voicing a new character just as anybody else would - go with what you started, and keep on building it and building it. I think Veronica was a master at voicing Ash Ketchum and she kept getting better and better. One of the reasons the Hoenn Saga was my favorite was due to how amazing the Ash Ketchum voice had become. My sister (who had stopped watching Pokemon long ago) once asked me if Ash's voice had changed due to how different it sounded from Kanto.

I really wish Veronica, if nobody else, had stayed when 4Kids lost the anime. It truly wasn't the same without her at the helm. I never could get into watching the dub starting with the Diamond/Pearl Saga all thanks to the new Ash voice.

CyberCubed said:

Really? I didn't think voice actors start their careers at such a young age. Would have thought she'd be at least 23 or something.

Arceusgamer14

Wow it was amazing how Veronica matured Ash's voice when they got to AG where he is now a Rookie Trainer compare to May when she started her adventure.

Grimer

Pokemon #088
Describe it, go into more detail. I'm pretty sure that 'noobs' don't have specific accents.

Definitely. Veronica's voice in the first say 14 eps or so was off and forced, but by eps 15 onwards she really got into the character and nailed all of Ash's aspects, IMO. Veronica's voice changed greatly (and IMO, for the better) throughout the series.

My favorite voice in the dub for Ash is now her AG voice. Very mature sounding, yet cute, yet also endearing.

Yes, it was definitely a little different during the early Kanto, not just because Veronica was still fitting in her role, but the voice directors were still deciding how they wanted it. I agree with Silver though, it somehow makes sense character-wise. TRio took some time as well. Rachael had Misty more or less figured out from the start. Brock's wasn't quite himself until after his debut episode, but he was of course a super serious gym leader until leaving with Ash, allowing Eric to open him up a bit more.

Nathan Price was a good Meowth, actually, speaking of that. Just awkward. He showed promise, though. I liked his work.

Ted Lewis was good as James as well.

Last edited:

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Ash's voice in A/G was so...relaxing to listen to. That may not make sense, but Veronica's voice in the latter half of her association with Pokemon just felt like home to me.

UnovaCastaway

Veronica did force Ash's voice way too much at first. She sounded like the stereotypical "female-tries-too-hard-to-sound-manly" voice. Later on, though, her Ash sounded more like a preteen boy and fit him better.

*~Silver*~

Veronica did force Ash's voice way too much at first. She sounded like the stereotypical "female-tries-too-hard-to-sound-manly" voice. Later on, though, her Ash sounded more like a preteen boy and fit him better.

I agree... It did seem more forced in the beginning, but there was still plenty of expression, and again, characterization that it wasn't a big deal. xD

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!

Are you serious Cyber? Woah, that's really surprising, they've both started off young.

MattySadler

he sounds like such a ****** in the newer episodes

lollygag

Banned
I think everyone just needed to get used to voicing the characters. I'm guessing Veronica wasn't used to being Ash, but when she grew into it, she sounded better. A lot of shows are like that - in the oldest episodes of Rugrats, Tommy and Angelica sound different than they do in the rest of the series, even though they kept the same voice actors for the entire run. It's especially true if the voice actor starts young. And like you said, Veronica was 18 when she started. Voices do change even in adulthood. My dad sounds a little different now than he did 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.