• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you find yourself cheering for Team Rocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicBacon

To be honest, I think that since I've turned, like, 10 years old, I've always been rooting for Team Rocket.

Like, this obviously is not going to happen, but would you prefer it if the Rocket Gang succeed in capturing Pikachu, permanently? I, personally, would. Whenever I re-watch an episode relating to their backstory, I can't help but pity them, and begin to genuinely WISH that they were hardcore villains and.. well... steal all the Pokemon and become the most power trainers in the world.

That's how I'd like to see things to be, personally.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
OS and BW- Yes
Other sagas- No, rather, I just wanted them to go away.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Yes, if TR caught Pikachu permanently, then Ash could have more screentime on other Pokemon, but alas, it will never happen.

So yeah, I'm 50-50 on it. Soemtimes i'm annoyed, sometimes I'm just like, gogogo TR!

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Cheering for Team Rocket to do what exactly? Stealing Pikachu, interrupting gyms, Jessie in contests or being there? There is so many things that they did and could have done instead I found myself not even paying attention to them anymore like I used to. Even at the end of Kanto, I was upset. (Probably because of their behavior in the league) In the I.S. I really didn't get the filler of no value, in Johto they were funnier but they were more useless blasting off and doing the ridiculous. Only in DP where Jessie was in the GF was when I was actually stunned and was rooting for them. Well atleast Jessie that is.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think Team Rocket was the reason most people continued to watch the show. They honestly had some of the best lines from the 4KIDS-era, and they were just so goofy and they bounced off each other so well. I always looked forward to seeing them even when I knew they weren't going to succeed for the billionth time. I don't mind Ash as the main character, but to just watch him travel the land to occasionally battle a gym leader was dull, so obviously there needed to be an opposing force, and Team Rocket was entertaining enough.

So while I didn't exactly cheer for Team Rocket, they were amongst my most favorite characters of the show. Do I wish they were treated better (in which case Best Wishes granted that)? Yes, but when you're the comedy relief, you are treated as such. Since I stopped watching the show by the time it moved to Cartoon Network, I could only glean from others about Team Rocket's character in the D/P saga, and they were at their weakest then. Makes me wonder if 4KIDS didn't sell the rights that they could've kept Team Rocket entertaining enough. Their script is not always great, but you have to give them credit for at least making the Team Rocket trio memorable.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
I really think Team Rocket need to succeed more. Have any of their schemes succeeded? Nope. Not permanently, anyway. Perhaps an episode where they steal some random guys Pokemon and they don't get them back? Meowth evolving would be cool, too.

sandy ketchum

I would be waiting for TR to appear untill Kanto because they were funny. I didnt cheer for them but they made me laugh sometimes. But after that they were getting old and they were just stalking pikachu. They were just used for comedic relief and in BW the bad guy gimmick never seemed to work for me atleast.

Outburstz

I have been waiting for the day that Team Rocket takes a pokemon from Ash and turns it ageist him permanently that would be great to see.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
I cheered when team rocket got ahold of that yanma. Finally they have accomplished something.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I definitely find the Rockets more sympathetic than the heroes, and seeing as how sympathetic I find a characters seems very much proportionate to how bad they get it in the show, it's possible they're the most sympathetic characters for me. I don't necessarily really hope they actually manage to rob Ash blind or anything, but it would definitely be nice to see them catch a break once in a while, considering (at least the last time I saw) they'd be targets of some pretty disproportionate retribution for some pretty small vices to the point that at times it was starting to look like the three of them were really just being punished for being themselves (they're not doing anything wrong right now, but it's Team Rocket! Get them!!). It definitely doesn't make them less sympathetic that all of them have a much worse backstory than pretty much all the heroes.

Meowth is the one I probably feel most sorry for. It was put beneath its evolved form plenty of times, and the poor guy didn't even get to one-up persian like pikachu did raichu at least twice. And then pikachu gets to one-up meowth repeatedly as well (this may have changed in the seasons I missed, so I could be wrong at this point). Also, I kind of don't like how the show portrays meowth's constant failures as coming from its deciding to focus its ability on speech rather than combat like other pokémon. Kind of implies that you really can only be successful if you pursue success through brute strength.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
During BW, I absolutely loved everything they did! I wish they were like that throughout the series!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I always did for Jessie during the contests in seasons 6-13. Too bad they made us wait until seasons 10 (the unofficial contest) and 11 before Jessie won any. :mad:

Blessed

In the OS at times, yes. They had already caught Pikachu & everything and I was happy. Until, you know, Ash saved the day at the tail end. I don't know, I just like when Pikachu is captured at put inside that electric proof jar. I also support Jessie in the Contests.

RVD_fan

For the most part, yes, but I'm the type who used to cheer Wile E Coyote when he was chasing road runner. I guess I just feel sorry for the perennial losers.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
During BW, I absolutely loved everything they did! I wish they were like that throughout the series!

But they hardly did anything in BW. no blasting offs, no hilarious jessilina. All they did was try to get pikachu a few times and awaken tornadus and thunderus. That was it.

Musashi's alter: [Candy] Musalina, I've cheered for her in DP. I didn't really cheer for Musashi's other contest alias in AG because I knew she wouldn't make it past the first round and two, it was all about Haruka winning. DP contests, they treated her better and it wasn't all about Hikari winning everything.

Other than that, yes I found myself cheering for them mostly in the Galactic episodes and the Magma/Aqua episodes. But in BW, I didn't because they were generic villains.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
But they hardly did anything in BW. no blasting offs, no hilarious jessilina. All they did was try to get pikachu a few times and awaken tornadus and thunderus. That was it.

In this case, less is more, especially in the case of something as significant as awakening the Kami Trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.